SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good outdoor wifi/Bluetooth speaker
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good outdoor wifi/Bluetooth speaker Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Currently Sitting on the deck, watching the boys play in the yard, listening to some tunes coming out of my craptastically blow iPhone speakers.

I want to toss a decent speaker up in the corner of the deck. Deck is covered and screened but it still gets damp.

Don’t want some stupid Alexa/Siri thing that listens.
But would like to connect to wifi or Bluetooth. Preferably wifi so if I walk away with my phone the tunes continue.

I am lazy and don’t just want something portable I take in and out.

I’ll likely bring it in for the winter.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is the one I bought and I'm shocked at how well it works. Great volume and bass.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K...e0c-5de3-47f0-828b-e

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty happy with my JBL Charge 2 . Bought a referb'd model and its held up to beating sun and accidental splashes, while holding a long charge. Used it for everything from tailgating, beach/boat, garage, backyard....bluetooth connectivity haven't had any issues.
JBL has a nice franchise collection of various bluetooth speakers, Id have no hesitation picking up another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have a one from Amazon and an ONN from mao mart, both about $30 and sound great. I would expect the price to go way up for wifi

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
JBL Boombox.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don’t want anything portable or battery powered.

A Sonos One would be ideal. Just not sure how it would do outside all the time.

————————————————

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Definitive outdoor speakers under the soffit on my deck running off a Sonos amp. Sound is excellent, bass is actually pretty solid. I've always brought them in for the winter but they've been through 8 or 9 summers now.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
JBL Flip or Charge. Get the current one. Have had Flip and now Charge, added benefit you can set a couple up as left-right speakers if you want. Great sound and they just work, not too much $$$.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Digging around the Sonos help articles it says that the Sonos One SL is fine for a covered deck as long as it does not see the extreme weather.

Mounting it up high it will not get any direct water/rain.
I’ll take it in for the winter.

Might have to give it a go.

————————————————

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Sonos One is an excellent speaker for your needs. Sonos One does have the ability to pair for stereo sound. I use 2 Sonos One speakers on my back deck to cover the backyard. My wife always tells me to lower the volume.....

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have Sonos and I agree that the sound quality is VG, I’m just disappointed that Sonos took away the ability to listen to my own, purchased music. I have also had a Bose BT speaker. I’ve used it almost everyday in practicing guitar for years. It’s good too.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Sonia play 5 gen 1’s. They live on my deck April-October.
They are mounted on brackets under cover.
Zero issues for 4+years.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
We have Sonos and I agree that the sound quality is VG, I’m just disappointed that Sonos took away the ability to listen to my own, purchased music. I have also had a Bose BT speaker. I’ve used it almost everyday in practicing guitar for years. It’s good too.

While I am familiar with Sonos’ excellent sound quality. I have not fooled with their user interface so could you please explain a bit more about not being able to play your own music?

Granted I stream about 95% of the time anymore but I do have a bunch of music I am probably the only person that actually listens to it and no streaming service has it that I can find so I do play some of the music I own.

————————————————

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A few yers ago my wife and I boought an AR speaker from Costco. Looks almost list like a little tower with multiple lighting features... (not that they matter.

I thing there are two 3" or 3.5" speakers. It is rechargeable and is able for two of them to be used as true stereo. Both of us (wife and I) have been greatly pleased with it.

As I recall, it was in $130 range?

Typically about this time of the year is when Costco stocks them,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
With the most current Sonos App I can still play my own music off my server with no issues.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
With the most current Sonos App I can still play my own music off my server with no issues.

Same here. My local NAS is easily accessed by Sonos.

Sonos makes a speaker line for IKEA called Symfonisk. It’s 100% compatible and is $100 normal price. I think it sounds better than the current model 1’s.

I’ve had one outside in a covered porch for a while now, but it is not humid here, just hot.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

Same here. My local NAS is easily accessed by Sonos.

Sonos makes a speaker line for IKEA called Symfonisk. It’s 100% compatible and is $100 normal price. I think it sounds better than the current model 1’s.

I’ve had one outside in a covered porch for a while now, but it is not humid here, just hot.

Even better.

What is the user face like? How does one access streaming services or sites?

————————————————

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

While I am familiar with Sonos’ excellent sound quality. I have not fooled with their user interface so could you please explain a bit more about not being able to play your own music?

Granted I stream about 95% of the time anymore but I do have a bunch of music I am probably the only person that actually listens to it and no streaming service has it that I can find so I do play some of the music I own.

Glad you made your post about speakers. We’ve had Sonos for several years now. The ability to play my own music was lost after one of the updates. I’m doing research on Airplay and “Screen Mirroring” now. Haven’t got it solved yet, but perhaps there IS a way to play my own music library through Sonos. Sure hope so. Have a great day. T

ETA: I may be SOL. Our Sonos system may not have Airplay capability

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Glad you made your post about speakers. We’ve had Sonos for several years now. The ability to play my own music was lost after one of the updates. I’m doing research on Airplay and “Screen Mirroring” now. Haven’t got it solved yet, but perhaps there IS a way to play my own music library through Sonos. Sure hope so. Have a great day. T

ETA: I may be SOL. Our Sonos system may not have Airplay capability

If you’re trying to play music stored locally on your phone, that may be an issue. But music stored locally on a traditional network drive isn’t an issue.

For those that aren’t familiar: Sonos accesses streaming services directly, independent of your phone, or whatever device. The Sonos app on my phone is simply a remote control. Black, if you want email your cell number and I can text you screen shots of the app in various states.

We have, currently, 4 speakers in our house. I can play different sources on all 4 at once, or group them together in any way.

I’m also an audio snob from way back.... my “best pair” I have here area giant 4 way towers thst I built using Dynaudio transducers... 6 feet tall, over 100lbs each. They sound incredible.... Sonos doesn’t sound that good. But they are good enough that the convenience of the Sonos system wins every time.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i think the move is what you're looking for

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post