SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aftermarket Brakes For 4Runner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket Brakes For 4Runner Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
I have a 2013 4Runner Trail. It has been a great vehicle with the exception of the brakes. Needs roters, 2ND set at 80k miles, and I want to go with something more robust than the OEM set. The vehicle is used 70/30 city to Hwy with lots of hills in our neighborhood and the surrounding area where we do most of our driving. So what say you Sig Forum car Gurus?

Brand
Material
Size
Source
Cost
PRO install or DIY

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the 2013s, but for my 2000 it's common to upgrade them using OEM parts from Tundras and Tacomas, both of which have larger and more powerful brakes that are direct bolt ons. You might try looking in the 4runner forums for your year range.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a set of TRD brake pads on my 07 Tundra. They do stop a bit better than the OEMs I've used, but they are VERY dusty. Front wheels get black quick after being washed. I like how they grab, but will go back to OEM for the next set.

Posts: 3645 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put EBC rotors and pads on the front of my 2013 F150. They are about the only rotors and pads I could find that were not made in China. They work great, but they do produce more dust than the oem pads.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
4Runner brakes have generally always sucked...all the ones I've owned had. Don't waste your $$ on EBC, worse than OEM on 4unners

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
What I am really wanting is a bigger set of rotors or at least ones that cool better. I can live with crappy feel and marginal stopping, I just want something that won't warp after 25k miles.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Larger (in outside diameter) rotors can't be installed without either different steering knuckles or some kind of adapter to move the caliper farther out. And how much wheel clearance do you have for the calipers?

If by "crappy feel" you mean a soft pedal, find somebody with a pressure bleeder and bleed/flush the brake system. The rest, if you have reasonable "know-how" and tools, is simple bolt-on. Sometimes a rust ridge builds up on the "hat" section of the rear rotor and hangs up on the parking brake shoes, so watch out for that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
EBC rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads.

The Hawk pads will improve braking, fell and fading(if you have any).

I would also flush the system with new brake fluid if it hasn't been done.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I tried EBC rotors. Not good. Hated that I spent all that money for nothing.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried EBC rotors. Not good. Hated that I spent all that money for nothing.

What didn't you like about them?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My EBC rotors have warped easier than the factory ones. Ymmv, but I doubt it in this application. These are the best out there among the forums.

http://www.dbausa.com/products/4x4-survival-series/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Brembo is a well-known name in brakes, the OEM supplier for a number of high-end cars and motorcycles. If money is no object.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Ceramic material pads.
I used them on all my cars/trucks now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post