SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coca Cola Wants Everybody to ''Try to be Less White'
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coca Cola Wants Everybody to ''Try to be Less White' Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I prefer store brand and generic colas anyway. Thing is, I wonder if coke makes any of those "off brands" for the stores or someone else?

Posts: 4702 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daniel Greenfield

I read that article - was a great read and shows how companies like Coke are trying to remain relevant when their own companies, and their product(s) are quickly becoming not relevant. I certainly think they will see a negative feedback for them chasing the woke wave - ala woke = broke

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a very interesting article. Daniel Greenfield looked at the issue from a perspective I had not even considered. I’d like to believe the era of corporate wokeness will soon vanish but if Mr. Greenfield is correct this is just a symptom of a much larger issue and one that will probably get worse before it gets any better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Coca Cola Corp doesn't do it's own bottling. They have franchise bottlers who do that. Those independent bottlers might do store brands as a side business, but I don't know if the franchise agreements allow that.

And while I drink cola occasionally when out since every soda fountain has it., I never buy it for in home consumption. I usually get some combination of orange soda, ginger ale, and root beer, all artificially sweetened, and preferably Canada Dry products (Sunkist, CD, and A&W respectively.)

And I agree with the article Stickman posted. This is all basically marketing. They want to attract a younger demographic. That demographic is much more attracted to "woke" politics/ideology, and not so attracted to sugary carbonated beverages. So Coke, and a lot of other companies are in a tizzy to figure out how to win them over.

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I prefer store brand and generic colas anyway. Thing is, I wonder if coke makes any of those "off brands" for the stores or someone else?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the Greenfield article, top of this page:

Coca-Cola’s global sales fell 28% in the second quarter of 2020 from $10 billion to $7.15 billion. The corporate giant blamed the pandemic which had shuttered movie theaters and bars, and began cutting its small brands while concentrating on its big signature brands.
That explains something. I supply beverages for the part-timer who works in my shop. He does not like diet drinks, and he prefers non-caffienated, so prior to The Virus I had been buying regular (non-diet) Coke without caffein to keep in the fridge for him.

Ever since The Virus, I have not been able to find this particular variety. The only no-caffeine Coke I can find is the diet type.

Also among the missing, is the lime flavored diet type that my wife likes.

It seems that the only types available in the grocery store are the few rally mainstream, as opposed to the dozen or more that used to be available.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Push back from the lower ranks is starting to happen and those in uniform around DC continue to chase windmills. Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, in the civilian world, many states have 'right to work' laws, which also means employers can dismiss you at-will. I have no doubt, those in uniform who push-back too aggressively or, stand-out above the crowd, will be earmarked for bad duty station and/or be halted in advancement at their next boards.

Some Troops See Capitol Riot, BLM Protests as Similar Threats, Top Enlisted Leader Says
quote:
Some troops have drawn equivalencies between the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol and last year's protests for racial justice during recent stand-downs to address extremism, worrying the military's top enlisted leader.

In a Thursday briefing with reporters at the Pentagon, Ramón "CZ" Colón-López, the senior enlisted adviser to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that some troops have asked, when the Jan. 6 riot is brought up, "How come you're not looking at the situation that was going on in Seattle prior to that?"

He said that is one example of the mindset many military leaders are encountering, and he is "concerned about the way that some people are looking at the current environment."

"This is coming from every echelon that we're talking to," he added.

Colón-López said the confusion some younger troops have expressed shows why the training sessions on extremism are needed.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered the stand-down Feb. 5 and gave units across the military 60 days to discuss extremism in the ranks with troops.

The military's policies are clear, he said: Troops are not to advocate for, or participate in, supremacist, extremist or criminal gang doctrine, ideology or causes.

The military remains an apolitical organization, Colón-López said, and it doesn't matter if an extremist group is far right or far left -- both are off limits.

"If it's an organization that is actually imposing harm, threat, destruction, criminal activity and so on, then we don't condone that behavior," Colón-López said. "We're focusing on letting people know exactly what the oath tells us to do when it comes to obeying lawful orders, remaining apolitical and basically being good stewards of society."

But as the training sessions took place, some themes emerged that worried leaders.

Those conducting the sessions wanted "to make sure that military members understand the difference between Seattle and [the Jan. 6 riot in] Washington, D.C.," Colón-López said. "But some of our younger members are confused about this, so that's what we need to go ahead and talk to them about and educate them on, to make sure that they know exactly what they can and cannot do."

Colón-López also noted the military was called to respond after the Capitol attacks, but was not called up to support law enforcement during the Seattle protests.

And he drew a distinction between those who lawfully exercised their First Amendment rights to protest during last summer's protests in support of racial justice and the Black Lives Matter movement, and those who "latched on" to the protests to loot, destroy property and commit other crimes.

But sometimes, he said, younger troops see messages on TV that blur the lines between the two, and "we needed to educate them" on the difference.

"No, that's not what that meant," Colón-López said. "There were people advocating [against] social injustice, racial injustice and everything else, and it is the right of citizens."

When asked about networks or television personalities popular among service members who have drawn those equivalencies, Colón-López said, "Those are very, very tough conversations to have with people, because sometimes they're emotional about the subject."

While those TV personalities are exercising the right to free speech troops have fought for, he said, "make sure that you're well-educated and don't be an automatic mouthpiece for something unless you understand the issue."

Colón-López acknowledged that the "information overload" troops today face -- not just traditional media and memos from service leaders, but also a panoply of social media amplifying different messages -- can leave troops feeling confused and uncertain where to go to get reliable information.

"What I am committed to is to make sure that our people understand right from wrong," he said. "That our people ... are well-educated to be able to carry on, in an honorable fashion. And if they hear somebody saying the wrong things, that they're quick to go ahead and correct them ... without being confrontational."

Colón-López stressed the refrain commonly heard from top military leaders that the vast majority of troops do not share extremist views.

And the military isn't interested in monitoring troops' online activities at home, he said. A service member who Googles QAnon, for example, may just want to become educated on the online conspiracy theory movement, he explained. That wouldn't mean someone necessarily believes in that ideology.

But, he noted, the military needs to be watchful of how service members carry themselves while on duty, and what troops' friends say they are doing.

Colón-López said it's too soon to tell whether extremist organizations are becoming more or less likely to recruit from among the military's ranks. But, he said, the force is being made aware that such groups are actively recruiting service members, "and we need to make sure that they stand clear from them."

"It's not good for the department, and it's not good for the image of the military," he said.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Unfortunately, in the civilian world, many states have 'right to work' laws, which also means employers can dismiss you at-will.

Well, that certainly represents one point of view.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Unfortunately, in the civilian world, many states have 'right to work' laws, which also means employers can dismiss you at-will.

Huh? I've always thought an employer could fire someone any time. Sometimes those firings get challenged, but such challenges don't always succeed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right to Work means you can't be compelled to join a union or pay dues as a condition of employment.

Employment at Will means you can be dismissed at any time, without cause, provided you are fully compensated for all work you have performed to the time of dismissal, and your unemployment insurance claim is not disputed. They don't have to give a reason and really should not give one, only that your services are no longer required.

Incompetence or poor work is not a cause either. A cause is a violation of policy such as attendance, tardiness, falsifying records, stealing, violence, or harassment. In order to be fired for cause, which can result in the denial of unemployment claims, the management has to investigate the accusation and show that it actually occurred.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
IIRC, the Coca Cola Corp doesn't do it's own bottling. They have franchise bottlers who do that. Those independent bottlers might do store brands as a side business, but I don't know if the franchise agreements allow that.

And while I drink cola occasionally when out since every soda fountain has it., I never buy it for in home consumption. I usually get some combination of orange soda, ginger ale, and root beer, all artificially sweetened, and preferably Canada Dry products (Sunkist, CD, and A&W respectively.)

And I agree with the article Stickman posted. This is all basically marketing. They want to attract a younger demographic. That demographic is much more attracted to "woke" politics/ideology, and not so attracted to sugary carbonated beverages. So Coke, and a lot of other companies are in a tizzy to figure out how to win them over.

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
If you are fond of ginger ale, you need to try some Vernors (used to be Vernor's in Detroit, where it originated, but they dropped the apostrophe a while back). It is much more robust (and fizzier) than Canada Dry.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ginger ale is one of my favorites. I’ve more or less quit all the other sodas but ginger ale is something I do enjoy. I’ll have to try and track down that brand.

When I lived within biking distance to colonial Williamsburg Virginia there was a rather bold ginger ale I used to enjoy almost every weekend. I believe it was called Kings arms Ginger ale or something like that. Man I miss bicycling to DOG (Duke of Gloucester) street for a sandwich and ginger ale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cock and Bull Ginger Beer is pretty good, and you can get it without sugar.

I once accidentally bought a can of Vernor's from a vending machine when I was new in Michigan in the 90's. I took one sip and couldn't drink it. Tasted like they got the concentrate/water mix off by about about 2x more concentrate.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I very much like Ginger Beer but it’s a whole nother thing from Ginger Ale for those who haven’t tried. Much more bite to it.

I like Q Spectacular Ginger Beer very much as well as Cock And Bull.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/drag...tayce-181948109.html

A fucking drag queen is their new spokesman? Sorry coke, I’m getting more white by the day.

Posts: 9967 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
March 27, 2021
If you’re Coke, going woke really may leave you broke
By Andrea Widburg

One of the scourges of the 21st century is the rise of corporations that feel compelled to make political statements. In an ideologically diverse country, corporations should stick to selling their product or service without wading into divisive issues that will alienate half of the customer base (and should, ideally, trigger shareholder lawsuits). Last month, Coca-Cola went woke for BLM, causing conservatives to abandon it. This month, Coca-Cola is facing outrage from leftists for failing to fight against Georgia’s new anti-fraud voting laws. It couldn’t happen to a more deserving woke corporation.

In February, consumers learned that Coca-Cola had made a hard left turn when Karlyn Borysenko posted material from a Critical Race Theory program that Coke had forced employees to attend. If you haven’t watched the video before, you need to watch it now because it perfectly encapsulates the highly racist propaganda infecting corporate America – and now, thanks to Biden, being encouraged within the government bureaucracy:

For going woke, Coke was deservedly castigated among people who are not crazy, are conservative, and are not racist. As for me, while I once decried the leftist habit of boycotting everything, I’ve changed my tune in 2021. I feel that every thinking person who opposes racism should refuse to buy any Coke products. Just so you know, the boycott will save you a lot of money, because these are the brands that Coke fully or partially owns – and all of them are either fancy water, sugary drinks, or artificially sweetened drinks. Your life will be better without Coke.
Read More

Still from a vintage Coca-Cola promo when Coke sold a product, not politics.

The problem with going woke is that “woke” is a moving target. Conservatives have fixed values. They mostly tie back to the rules in the Bible (whether or not any given conservative is religious). They also look to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. With fixed principles, once you’ve declared yourself, you don’t have to worry that in a month or two, you’ll already be labeled a dangerous regressive and targeted for destruction.

Because that’s essentially what happened to Coke.

As you know, long after the barn door was left open and all the electoral horses escaped, Georgia finally enacted an election bill that will help prevent voter fraud. The Coca-Cola company, because it waded into politics, found to its chagrin that it was expected to continue wading into politics regarding this bill. When it failed to do so, suddenly it was in the left’s boycott crosshairs:

Activists are organizing a boycott of major Atlanta-based corporations such as Coca-Cola over their apparent refusal to condemn a GOP-backed elections bill making its way through the Georgia legislature.

The AME Sixth Episcopal District said it would be calling for a statewide boycott of Coca-Cola until it expressly comes out against the legislation.

Bishop Reginald Jackson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that if “Coca-Cola wants Black and brown people to drink their product, then they must speak up when our rights, our lives and our very democracy as we know it is under attack.”

This is devastating news for Coke, which is highly dependent on minorities for its sales -- and it wouldn’t be having this problem if it had just stuck to its brand. Now, though, it has no way out. It's offended everybody. Its best bet at this point is to fire a whole swath of upper- and middle-level management and to promise its company, its shareholders, and the world at large that it will, in future, stay in its lane and sell beverages.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...e.html#ixzz6qK5KKcvJ

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Last time I looked, Coca-Cola, and the other one, are already extremely dark brown.

Isn't that enough?

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Coca-Cola Removes Chief In-House Legal Counsel to Consulting Position

Get Woke, Go Broke...

Keep up the boycott of all Coca-Cola products.

Obviously the massive multinational corporation cannot admit they made a mistake lest they get attacked by the extremists on the far-left; however, all of Coca-Cola’s recent moves since they stupidly put their company into the toxic political mess surrounding election reform legislation -particularly in GA- indicates the company is experiencing destabilizing impacts from the MAGA boycott. DO NOT RELENT !

(Bloomberg Legal) The Coca-Cola Co. announced Wednesday that it is moving legal chief Bradley Gayton to a “strategic consultant” role less than a year after he joined the company and promoting in-house lawyer Monica Howard Douglas to general counsel.

Gayton, who joined Coca-Cola on Sept. 1 and recently announced ambitious new diversity requirements for the company’s outside lawyers, will immediately become a strategic consultant to Coca-Cola chairman and CEO James Quincey.

[…] Coca-Cola spokesman Scott Leith, when asked about the impetus for its general counsel change or whether Gayton’s strategic consulting role is a permanent or temporary position, said the company would have no additional comment. (read more)

It is almost impossible to boycott all of the multinational corporations that are attempting to influence U.S. politics. However, if we focus like a laser on two or three: Delta Airlines, Coca-Cola and Major League Baseball, we can send a massive message that will hit the boardrooms of all others.

Take Coke down a few pegs…. and the rest will fall in line.

https://theconservativetreehou...osition/#more-211216

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Interesting, Coca-Cola Removes Chief In-House Legal Counsel to Consulting Position

Get Woke, Go Broke...

Keep up the boycott of all Coca-Cola products.

...if we focus like a laser on two or three: Delta Airlines, Coca-Cola and Major League Baseball, we can send a massive message that will hit the boardrooms of all others.

Take Coke down a few pegs…. and the rest will fall in line.

Let's all hope.

• I won't drink Pepsi products.
  • I had already separated from Cadbury Schweppes/Dr. Pepper over their heavy handed
    tactics with regard to the former Dublin Dr Pepper distributor in Dublin TX.
  • So, I have become a Shasta person. National Beverage Corp, located in Ft
    Lauderdale FL, is ranked the fifth largest beverage company in the U.S. Shasta
    is theirs and it is sold at ALDI.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7260 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Yes of course.

Huh? I've always thought an employer could fire someone any time. Sometimes those firings get challenged, but such challenges don't always succeed.

flashguy

In Texas yes you can. You might get a unemployment benefits charge, but if you've done everything as prescribed by Texas law, that goes away. I fired two people when I had my business and disputed their unemployment claims. We did phone conferences with the X employees and the Texas employment people and it was an easy win in both situations. I think small businesses are intimated by having to deal with the government and just let this sort of thing go, or some just say.."oh let them have the benefits" I'm not a nasty person in this respect, but I put a lot of money on the line to open and run a business, and with times being difficult, benevolence wasn't top priority

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
To think that Coca-Cola is to raise prices, citing costs associated with pandemic, they can kiss my a$$..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post