SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kyle Rittenhouse Bail set at $2M- AP leftist article
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kyle Rittenhouse Bail set at $2M- AP leftist article Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
This was in a regional website of local news .
The slant is quite evident.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Bail was set at $2 million on Monday for a 17-year-old from Illinois accused of killing two men during an August protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, after the father of one victim told the court the teen “thinks he’s above the law” and would disappear if freed before the trial.

Kyle Rittenhouse, of Antioch, Illinois, is charged with fatally shooting Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber during a protest over a police shooting in August. He is also charged with wounding a third man, Gaige Grosskreutz.

Rittenhouse turned himself in to police in Antioch the morning after the Aug. 25 shootings. He was extradited to Wisconsin on Friday and made his initial court appearance in Kenosha County on Monday afternoon.

In addition to the homicide charges, Rittenhouse faces counts of attempted homicide, reckless endangerment and being a minor in possession of a firearm.

His attorney, Mark Richards, asked Court Commissioner Loren Keating to set bail at $750,000 and place Rittenhouse on electronic monitoring, arguing that the protesters had attacked the teen that night and that Rittenhouse had fired in self-defense.

Richards also argued that Rittenhouse tried to turn himself in seconds after the shootings but officers ignored him. Video showed Rittenhouse walk past police vehicles with an assault-style weapon slung over his shoulder and his hands in the air. No one stopped him even though protesters could be heard screaming that he had just shot people. Police later explained that they didn’t arrest him at the scene because it was chaotic.

Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger asked for $2 million bond, noting that Rittenhouse faces life in prison if convicted of the homicide charges, which makes him a flight risk.

“The defendant doesn’t want to be here and if released won’t come back,” Binger said.

Keating allowed Huber’s father, John Huber, to speak during the video hearing. He asked the commissioner to set bail between $4 million and $10 million. He said that Rittenhouse has become a rallying symbol for conservatives upset by the destruction of property during protests this year over police brutality. People have been raising money for Rittenhouse and militia groups would gladly hide him from police, Huber alleged.

A legal defense fund for Rittenhouse has attracted millions of dollars in donations. Rittenhouse’s mother got a standing ovation from women in the audience at a Waukesha County GOP function in September, according to a tweet from conservative commentator Michelle Malkin.

“Kyle Rittenhouse thinks he’s above the law,” Huber said. “He’s been treated as much by law enforcement. For him to run wouldn’t surprise me.”

Huber’s son hit Rittenhouse with a skateboard before Rittenhouse shot him, but was he only trying to stop Rittenhouse, the father said.

“Self-defense, that’s impossible,” he said, growing more agitated as he spoke. “He had already killed a guy and tried to run. My son was a hero. He tried to stop him. He was a hero. Anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong, including the president. How dare he.”

President Donald Trump has said Rittenhouse’s actions might have been warranted, suggesting that the protesters might have killed him.

Richards tried to object to Huber’s remarks, but Keating cut him off.

Grosskreutz’s attorney, Kimberley Motley, asked for $4 million bail, calling Rittenhouse’s behavior “inexcusable.”

Keating set bail at $2 million, saying Rittenhouse has no ties to Kenosha, he fled the state after the shootings and he faces life in prison if convicted. He ordered Rittenhouse not to have any contact with the victims' families or to possess any weapons if he’s released.

Rittenhouse attended the hearing via a video feed from jail and was wearing an orange mask and a dark blue jail jumpsuit. He spoke only to say that he understood the conditions of his release.

The shootings happened two days after a white police officer trying to arrest Jacob Blake shot the 29-year-old Black man seven times in the back, paralyzing him from the waist down. Video of the shooting sparked several nights of protests in Kenosha, a city of about 100,000 on the Wisconsin-Illinois border.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Top Videos
Roanoke Arches art project

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That kid is being railroaded and hard. I’d Damn sure shelter him if he showed up.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
It sickens me to read about the relatives of people trying to overturn "the System" or those people themselves trying to use the system they were fighting to try and convict someone who was defending himself from these same thugs and assholes.

Hey Huber...your son was NOT A HERO....he was a felon and a thug, and if you had done a better job raising him, he'd have made better choices and would likely still be alive today. Your son didn't try to stop or detain Rittenhouse...it was felony assault and possibly attempted murder.

Grosskreutz...Kyle should have shot you in the nads so that you cant reproduce pass your filthy ideas onto your offspring.

And yes, the leftist bias of this article also sickens, but doesn't surprise me.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
"Rittenhouse turned himself in to police in Antioch the morning after the Aug. 25 shootings. He was extradited to Wisconsin on Friday and made his initial court appearance in Kenosha County on Monday afternoon."

This subject had no prior arrest history, turned himself in a second time after trying to tell an officer he'd been involved in a shooting immediately after the incident occurred, and clearly appeared to have fired only in response to a perceived threat(s). Just what kind of justification is there to set this high of a bail when there's virtually no evidence that he's a flight risk, a continuing threat to the "victims" in this matter, or presents a probability to commit other (new) offenses???

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
President Trump should pardon the young man. Self defense.

God Bless the Donald! USA # 1

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just sent #fightback another $25

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How very very sad our country has become where people let bias control outcomes rather than right or wrong.

We used to do the the right thing whether we agreed with it or not. Now right or wrong doesn't matter, it's how we are biased.

Fine. Let the morons keep poking. Right will always win in the end. They just keep making progress to their own demise. We're on the right. They are not on the left; they are on the wrong.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
President Trump should pardon the young man. Self defense.

God Bless the Donald! USA # 1

Would be nice but don't think he can unless it is a Fed crime.

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I wonder if we will EVER have old fashioned NEWS coverage ever again.Just the current events no political bias.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
John Huber needs a hysterectomy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44493 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I wonder if we will EVER have old fashioned NEWS coverage ever again.Just the current events no political bias.
You needn't wonder. The obvious answer is...'No'. The US media should be renamed American Pravda.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I truly believe the only way that ever has even a chance of happening is when we are rebuilding after something truly horrible. Like rising from the ashes horrible.

Not sure how to fix this. Could we ever possibly enact a law that would make it a truly serious crime to manipulate public opinion with lies, half truths and selective omissions without upending the constitutional apple cart? Without that law ultimately being used as a cudgel for the very same ends?

I know I wouldn't trust any of these current sons-a-bitches with it. I can't imagine that changing in the future either. Yet the need remains.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7408 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
I truly believe the only way that ever has even a chance of happening is when we are rebuilding after something truly horrible. Like rising from the ashes horrible.

Not sure how to fix this. Could we ever possibly enact a law that would make it a truly serious crime to manipulate public opinion with lies, half truths and selective omissions without upending the constitutional apple cart? Without that law ultimately being used as a cudgel for the very same ends?

I know I wouldn't trust any of these current sons-a-bitches with it. I can't imagine that changing in the future either. Yet the need remains.

We can regulate the 2nd amendment but not the first? Why not? How about a newscaster license, an opinion journalist license, etc...? With standards and penalties. Annual license fee etc...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6899 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:

We can regulate the 2nd amendment but not the first? Why not? How about a newscaster license, an opinion journalist license, etc...? With standards and penalties. Annual license fee etc...
You raise a very interesting point.

Posts: 7408 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

The right has to get as cutthroat as the left with the legal system. The press have special privilege by way of the 1st Amendment. They have corrupted and bastardized that privilege and, as such, should be held to some sort of legal responsibility. We can all see the left have weaponized the legal system, we know it can be done.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile...

quote:
Chicago murder suspect on the run after escaping house arrest
By Sun-Times Media WirePublished 2 days agoCrime and Public SafetySun-Times Media Wire

https://www.fox32chicago.com/n...scaping-house-arrest

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Meanwhile...

quote:
Chicago murder suspect on the run after escaping house arrest

By Sun-Times Media
Crime and Public SafetySun-Times Media Wire

https://www.fox32chicago.com/n...scaping-house-arrest

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we should revoke the operating licenses of the mainstream media and force them to earn it back

Posts: 53835 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Not for Kyle.

Posts: 16203 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The article was posted on WDBJ, a Roanoke,Va news station of course on their website. Many years Ago it was the go to station for news and information.

Sometime in the 90's, I began to notice a more liberal slant on many of their back then, TV reports, but Roanoke city itself has always had a liberal and Democratic flavor.

The station and their website still stir the BLM-Statues-gay pots when ever possible.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post