SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me identify this creature found on my breakfast nook window sill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me identify this creature found on my breakfast nook window sill Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
https://www.flickr.com/photos/4mul8r/shares/8g1ia2

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks like a form of hawk wasp.

Preys on spiders, caterpillars and such.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
What's left of a wasp?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's a bug.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Red (Paper) Wasp.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
A Stanley tape measure. I prefer Starrett myself. Big Grin

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Since you found one, there is a nest somewhere. Maybe get some wasp spray for when you find it. You can spray from a safe distance and they come home at dusk.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Since you found one, there is a nest somewhere. Maybe get some wasp spray for when you find it. You can spray from a safe distance and they come home at dusk.

if they eat fly larva and other pests why kill 'em?

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That looks more like a parasitic egg laying wasp. They do not build nests, nor are they communal. They are solitary insects that as the name implies, find a host insect and lay an egg inside its body often including paralyzing the prey item. They are harmless and have no interest in people because they are not protecting a nest.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_wasp

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It's my wife's tape measure. Really. I only use the Sigforum-approved tools.

I feel better that none of the possibilities suggest that I (a)call an exterminator or (b)burn the house down.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That is the threatened and endangered "If found, burn your house to the ground wasp."

It's fairly common but with the name inciting folks to committing domestic arson, there is always a threat to the home owners and the wasps alike.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
dip it in honey and eat it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It's a baby one of these:

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
quote:

I do when they build their nests where I might get stung doing things around my yard. They like to build nests in the exhaust pipes for our bathroom fans. They then drop through the fan and into the bathroom. My wife got stung twice while decorating the shed in the back yard and they popped out of the window frame. I got nailed when I took the lid off of a tiki torch to light it.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, if it's a wasp kill it quick and ask questions later. I hate 'em.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
quote:

I do when they build their nests where I might get stung doing things around my yard. They like to build nests in the exhaust pipes for our bathroom fans. They then drop through the fan and into t Big Grin he bathroom. My wife got stung twice while decorating the shed in the back yard and they popped out of the window frame. I got nailed when I took the lid off of a tiki torch to light it.

Ummmm, so your wife has a "she shed"?? Eek

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post