SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hopefully Drove Off a Package Thief Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hopefully Drove Off a Package Thief Today Login/Join 
posted
I work from home, and I noticed a car pull a u turn a few doors down. This is a little unusual in our neighboorhood as its a loop, and this is the middle of the day when there is very little traffic. The car stopped at the end of the neighbor's drive.

My neighbor gets frequent deliveries, has had them stolen before, and I saw the UPS truck stop there shortly before. So this coupled with my never seeing this car around before must have got my spidey sense going.

I noticed 2 people in the car when it first went by, and heard a door close, I grabbed my phone and went to the front door. By the time I got there I couldn't see the passenger, but there was a driver sitting there looking around, and had his phone up.

I called the sheriff non emergency number and advised that there was something rotten going on and asked if someone could check it out. Dispatcher said he'd send someone. We hung up and I decided to get a closer look. I opened the door and started down to the road to walk toward the car. A second after I opened the door a female came off of my neighbors porch (the passenger). I asked if I could help her, she said she was there to see my neighbor, I said "oh, I can call him for you", she mumbled something and practically ran back to the car. They took off and I got the plate number.

Called the neighbor, and he said no one should be there. Called the sheriff back, and told them no one should have been there, and gave them the license. They asked for last direction and said thanks they'd put out a look out for it.

Neighbor has a camera, though it was almost overhead so didn't get much. Hopefully though with the description and plate something will catch up with them.

Turns out my neighbor did have two packages there and the video showed the passenger checking them out. We think my going out there deterred them.

Before you beat me up too bad, I must admit I wasn't armed... I did have a hammer and tape measure in my hand as I was doing an odd job when this all went sown, and if I would have saw that passenger come off that porch with a package, she better be able to dodge a hammer, lol.

I'm just shocked at how bold they were, rolling up there liked they owned the place in the middle of the day. I've had a package snagged from our mailbox so this is happening too often around our neighborhood, and I was glad to hopefully give these ones a little food for thought.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good job. Hope they got caught.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I hate this kind of low life. When something terrible happens to one of them i'll smile

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Don’t be surprised if the media reports this incident as a self appointed vigilante threatening endless gunplay during a victimless theft by someone attempting to turn their life around. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

I'm just shocked at how bold they were, rolling up there liked they owned the place in the middle of the day.

That approach would typically get less attention from others as opposed to attempting to be sneaky.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17626 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
You are a good neighbor. We need more people to do the same. That's what makes a good neighborhood into a good community.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Maybe your neighbor needs to relocate his camera...
or buy a rung doorbell.

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Nothing bold about it. They know the cops won't do anything, and they will be long gone by the time they show up. We have had a string of car break ins in my neighborhood. One of the neighbors caught them on video, the police didn't even care, wouldn't take the video.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a police basher, but I was just very disappointed in the local PDs total lack of giving a crap about this. They were very good when I called about the creepy lady hanging around the elementary school bus stop.

But these low life's know the chances of getting caught are slim, and the punishment is nothing even if they do.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
But these low life's know the chances of getting caught are slim, and the punishment is nothing even if they do.

Depends on who catches them..... Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing bold about it. They know the cops won't do anything, and they will be long gone by the time they show up. We have had a string of car break ins in my neighborhood. One of the neighbors caught them on video, the police didn't even care, wouldn't take the video.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a police basher, but I was just very disappointed in the local PDs total lack of giving a crap about this. They were very good when I called about the creepy lady hanging around the elementary school bus stop.

My city police would, they’ve caught people in someone’s driveway with a similar excuse as the girl in the OP. When questioned they made up a story, the police searched their car and found screwdrivers, crowbars and other “tools” that painted a picture of what they were up to. Although they had no stolen items on them they were all arrested. I’m sure they were let go but my police chief will give suspects a hard time in order to discourage from coming into our town. I’m a big fan of my police chief, his department does a great job in our city.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good job - hope the low-lifes get caught

and treated accordingly

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Good "looking out" neighbor.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

My city police would, they’ve caught people in someone’s driveway with a similar excuse as the girl in the OP. When questioned they made up a story, the police searched their car and found screwdrivers, crowbars and other “tools” that painted a picture of what they were up to. Although they had no stolen items on them they were all arrested. I’m sure they were let go but my police chief will give suspects a hard time in order to discourage from coming into our town. I’m a big fan of my police chief, his department does a great job in our city.

In CA, they can charge you with possession of burglar's tools. Maybe that's what they pick them up for.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2558 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We have a neighbor that orders a bunch of stuff online and he's had a few things stolen in years past. I told him to let me know when he expects a delivery and I'll grab it till he gets home. He's the best neighbor we've ever had and I'm glad to do it. It's a two way street when we are out of town since he does the same for us.

Great neighbors are a blessing.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Good job. This is precisely why I have the Ring doorbell camera. I ordered like 30 items on prime day alone.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I wish more neighbors were like you. I never '' just walk by'' like so many do. I say hi to every one. My across the start neighbour is so strange ...i know he sees me but acts like he doesn't.... Shy ?.... I don't get it...ppl are weird ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is because of shitheads like this that I had to waste time going to the post office last week to pick up a "signature required" package....online order and the seller got sick of having to reship stuff due to theft!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Brother, if you were my neighbor and called me, did what you did, there would be a big ass steak, some 15 year old scotch and a high quality cigar thrown your way.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

In CA, they can charge you with possession of burglar's tools. Maybe that's what they pick them up for.

California is busy letting all non-violent offenders out of prison. I was recently listening to the chief of Fresno complain about a person they had arrested 86 times for theft, no prison. California isn’t going to do anything about this. You’re on your own.

Perhaps if you put a 15 round glock mag in a box, get the thieves to steal it, then call it in. Perhaps then California may roll out the national guard to deal with that threat to public safety. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post