SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man denied passport because of ‘vulgar’ last name
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Man denied passport because of ‘vulgar’ last name Login/Join 
posted
Talk about causing trouble for yourself. I wonder what his license plate says.
A former soldier from the UK who changed his surname to “Fu-Kennard” for a laugh says the joke has backfired — he was denied a passport.

Kenny Fu-Kennard, 33, whose surname used to be Kennard, changed his name in 2016 and even got a driving license under his new moniker.

But when his passport expired and he applied for a new one this year, his application was denied because his name “may cause offense.”

The supermarket worker from Cornwall has contested HM Passport Office’s verdict three times — but the Home Office has refused to budge.

Keen traveler Fu-Kennard said he doesn’t want to change his name again, so faces a life of UK holidays instead.

“I’d decided to change my name to Fu-Kennard a few years back,” he said.

“When I’d had to apply for a driving license, it was accepted fine, so I figured it wouldn’t make much difference in applying for a passport. How wrong I was!

“I got refused on grounds that my name could cause offense or was vulgar. I complained, but they upheld their decision so I complained again. I was then told they’d keep the fee for administration costs.”

Fu-Kennard said he finds it hard to believe the name could be construed as anything but funny and slightly ridiculous.

“It’s just a joke,” he said.

Enlarge ImageKenny Fu-Kennard
Kenny Fu-KennardKenny Fu-Kennard/SWNS
The jokester first changed his name to “Coco Kenny” when he was 16, but after he joined the army at age 19, he said, he was told to change it back because it was “immature.”

After eight years serving his country, Kenny decided to “change it to something with a bit of ‘fun’ about it.”

Knowing that he’d be applying for jobs, he knew to “play it a bit safe” — and settled for “Fu-Kennard” because “not everyone gets the joke.”

“Life’s too short to be boring,” he said.

The official guidelines list a series of “names that may cause outrage or offense” that could be classed as “unacceptable” and not fit for a passport.

They include: “the use of swear words; sexually explicit references; inappropriate religious connotation; is vulgar, offensive, or libelous to an individual; makes use of a name of a person living or dead which may cause public concern.”

The guidance also states: “This applies to phonetic, as well as actual use of words comprising part of or the entire name.”

But Fu-Kennard said he is keeping his surname.

“I don’t want to change it again, especially because they’re restricting my freedom. I like Fu-Kennard.”

THE POST OF COURSE: https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/...of-vulgar-last-name/

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Thank Christ they caught that one, can you imagine the carnage if someone were to be caused offense?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So.. What if your real name is something "offensive"

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
IDK TacFoley should know. It is the UK lots of things are offensive.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Was it a legal (i.e., obtained through a court proceeding) name change? If so, why wasn't it denied back then? If it was not a legal name change, his proper name is what has to go on his passport, so regardless of the reasons for their nixing it, he has no leg to stand on.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mike Hunt is screwed...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
even got a driving license under his new moniker

McLovin was already taken.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I first thought he was a millenial who married an Asian. You know Sally FU.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ho Lee Fook!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Shame he'll never get to eat pho at one of the best places here in Las Vegas. Pho Kim long.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Better change the threat level to Peeved.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
So, someone from the government can decide if you are eligible for a passport based on whether they like your name or not? Am I the only one that think something is seriously screwed up about this? What if he was born with that name or what if it's a foreign name that just happens to sound offensive in English?

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Report This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Well he is a commoner. Big Grin

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember attending an industrial controls class with a young man from the Far East (I believe Cambodia) whose given name was Phuc. He was very intelligent and likely headed for a promising career in programming or maintenance. A couple of us took him aside and politely suggested a possible name change might be in his best interest as some of the crustier type maintenance people would likely give him much grief through the years. The instructor stumbled several times when calling on the poor lad so it was becoming obvious that there was going to be an issue for him.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
^^^

When I did a stint for the state's Unclaimed Property office, there was a guy named Fuk Yu F. (redacted the rest of guy's name) in the database. I had suspected he was from SE Asia as well.

It must not have been a joke or one of those apocryphal "Orange Jello" names, because the guy had several entries from businesses that owed him stuff.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a co-worker that's named Phouc Yuu.

Whenever we have a new employee we have him introduce himself.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
It's a real shame that people in the UK don't actually have rights and stuff.

The thing is, it took me a couple minutes to actually figure out what his name said when pronouncing it. Doubt anyone actually even cares.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Anything might be offensive. If you're not being offended by everything, you're not trying hard enough. It's all up to you.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
He should have changed it to Fu-Kenntard.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's one thing if one inadvertently offends but this clown did this on purpose to offend - and succeeded!

Not everything one is free to do is a good idea.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post