SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fried bread – better than toasting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fried bread – better than toasting? Login/Join 
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I tried it last night. The first slice wasn’t quite right, but I cranked up the heat a bit and the second slice was perfect – crispy golden brown on the outside, tender on the inside. No sweet stuff, just delicious buttered toast.

I’m thinking that I might take my toaster to Goodwill. That would free-up some counter space – another significant benefit.

Yep! My toaster crapped out on the family breakfast one Sunday morning. I heated up the griddle, buttered my bread and the kids loved how perfect the toast came out. Not a time saver but it DID taste better LOL!

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'll fry bread in butter, then dice up for croutons. Love this in split pea soup.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Elk Hunter, Fry Bread Power, was T-Shirt I saw in northern AZ. When I was with the USFS, we would look for an excuse to head to Winslow or Holbrook for a basket of Fry Bread and bowl of Green Chili. Whoo-weee. that was good stuff.

Posts: 782 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I've got a Breville Smart Grill which I use all the time Breakfast, even in the evening.

Instead of using my traditional toaster, I put down a dab of butter and put bread, an English Muffin or a Bagel on the butter and carmelize it.

I get a nice crust, it's delicious. Mmmmmm!

I have a Breville Smart Grill too. Do you close the top or leave it open and flip the bread after one side is toasted? What temperature do you set for frying bread?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I can hear all your arteries clogging from here!
And I will join you. Sounds great!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Texas Toast?

I definitely fry my grilled cheese in butter

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have grown fond of Texas Toast Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I've got a Breville Smart Grill which I use all the time Breakfast, even in the evening.

Instead of using my traditional toaster, I put down a dab of butter and put bread, an English Muffin or a Bagel on the butter and carmelize it.

I get a nice crust, it's delicious. Mmmmmm!

I have a Breville Smart Grill too. Do you close the top or leave it open and flip the bread after one side is toasted? What temperature do you set for frying bread?

Hi. I’ve done it both ways, it’s delicious either way. I set the temp at 340 - 350.

The Breville Smart Grill is a great device. If something happened to it I’d buy another immediately.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I feel so bad for those of you who did not know about grilling bread for sandwiches.

Best use: Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches. Try it, you'll thank me later. Second best use: BLTs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post