SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Royal Marines Test Jet Suit for sea-boarding
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Royal Marines Test Jet Suit for sea-boarding Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I guess they could be blasted out of the air with a shotgun or even a fire hose but that would still leave the fully armed warship they deployed from to deal with.
I think this technique would be used for boarding compliant vessels to do inspections where the crew would already be ordered to muster to a secure area.I'm sure it would be just as easy to stop someone trying to climb a boarding ladder with a shotgun when it comes right down to it.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The L85/SA-80 has been (or is in the final process of being) phased out in the Royal Marines as a whole, in favor of the L119 which is a Canadian-made AR.

And the various British special operations troops in particular have been using ARs for a while now, so if the guys in the video are Royal Marine Commandos specifically, it may not even be that new of an addition.

Yuppers.
Pretty much all Western country's SOF units use an AR-platform for their primary. The entire RM are in transition to the L119.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
With a little background in boarding vessels on the high seas, you couldn’t pay me to do that. At least when I did it , we had a RHIB full of other coasties who were all carrying guns and could shoot back. The most dangerous part of the whole boarding was the boarding and the debarking....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
So will it be the UK military or the Somali pirates who make first practical use of these jet packs?

The Capt. Phillips incident would have gone a lot differently if the crew had a few shotguns aboard.

Well, the UK needs something that they can launch off of their new aircraft carrier! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post