SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on smallish ornamental trees...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on smallish ornamental trees... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
The wife and I are looking to fancy up our landscaping. I'm looking into possibly getting one or two small ornamental trees. Nothing over 6'.

I live in SW PA, outside of Pittsburgh.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at some of the red leaf Japanese maples.Here are a few http://www.sunnysidenursery.ne...leaf-japanese-maples

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry I couldn't resist....

Also a fan of Japanese maples.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/69iB-xy0u4A

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm a fan of any Japanese Maple. For putting in the yard I would not go with a dwarf type as they tend to be better for a large pot to get them up off the ground. They tend to grow down from the trunk. In a pot they can be nice. In the yard, not so much, imho.

Jap maples do better if they get full or partial sun until early afternoon - 1:00 o'clock or so, then are in the shade in the afternoon as they will burn in the hot afternoon sun. Their color tends to be better if they don't get overdone on the sun as well. They grow slow - I have 2 Coral Bark maples that are 5-6 years old that are just now about 6-7 feet tall. Deer killed a third CB using the trunk for a scraping post during the rut so be aware if you have deer. around.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Another vote for Japanese Maple here. This is a dwarf type planted direct into the ground. Appears almost as a shrub.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
About a hundred years ago I was in the landscape and garden center business.

I suppose it can't hurt to get suggestions from forum members, but, honestly there are several factors to consider... light exposure, soil type and drainage, climate, pH, known insect or disease problems in the area etc...to say nothing of what you are trying to accomplish landscape design wise and whether your selection will integrate into and compliment your existing landscape or not.

I'm guessing you are in Zone 8. My suggestion would be to 1) drive through local neighborhoods and parks and get an idea of what trees you like, what they look like when mature, and how they are doing health wise (Pro Tip: take pics of the trees you like- both distant and close-up to help recall and also to research). If there are any nearby botanical gardens make the time to visit them, try and visit them during different seasons to get an idea of what trees/ shrubs look like at different times of year and 2) Go visit some of your local garden centers and landscape outfits...walk through their property and check out what they sell and talk to the professionals in your area that know what trees/ shrubs are available (or can be ordered) that work well in your area. It really is worth your time and money to talk to professionals that know plants and what works in your specific landscape zone. In some cases there are cultivars that might work better than the typical familiar classic Species.

Big fan of Japanese Maples in general, but only in the right conditions. Harsh Winters can sometimes take a toll on them so I'm a bit concerned about how they would do in your area.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a Japanse maple across the street that towers over the three-story house.

You should be careful what variety you plant.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm guessing you are in Zone 8.
I looked up Pittsburgh and it looks like Zone 6a.

My first home was in Zone 6a in the Upper Midwest. Being a first time home owner money was pretty tight so my landscaping was all "sweat equity."

One of the cool things I planted was a weeping cherry tree and it was at the recommendation of the owner of the nursery (it was the highest dollar plant/bush/tree so it was the focal point). It was a dwarf variety so it was targeted for 8 feet full size and it was the first time in my life I had ever seen a graft (tree grafting is a really cool worm-hole in YouTube).

It's in my home town so every year or two I drive by and the tree looks awesome. Here is a stock photo of a weeping cherry:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar, very slow growing.

Dwarf Hinoki False Cypress

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm guessing you are in Zone 8.
I looked up Pittsburgh and it looks like Zone 6a.

My first home was in Zone 6a in the Upper Midwest. Being a first time home owner money was pretty tight so my landscaping was all "sweat equity."

Doh! Most of my professional experience was right on the 5/6 line, but I couldn't recall how far the zone extended North, quickly referenced to an online zone map but between the poor map resolution and my tiny phone screen I mis-read the zone numbers...thanks for the correction!

Weeping Cherries can be spectacular in the Spring...but, can sometimes leave a void in the landscape in the Winter...landscape location and what the desired effect/ goal is really come into play.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
There is a Japanse maple across the street that towers over the three-story house.

You should be careful what variety you plant.

Exactly. Years ago we planted one in front of the house. It was supposed to be "ornamental". Now it is over the roof of our single-story house. My opinion is that many nursery workers don't really know anything and just want to sell.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly. Years ago we planted one in front of the house. It was supposed to be "ornamental". Now it is over the roof of our single-story house. My opinion is that many nursery workers don't really know anything and just want to sell.

^^^^^^^
This is typical of the big box stores. Nurseries here are pretty good. There is ALWAYS FREE advice from the local County agent. I use his services frequently.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bristlecone pine

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Another vote for Japanese Maple here. This is a dwarf type planted direct into the ground. Appears almost as a shrub.

Which variety is that specifically? It looks perfect for a spot I'm going to be landscaping. I know some varieties like shade, do you have any issues with it out in the open like that?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A small native tree that is beautiful in the spring and grows in the East is the dogwood. After the white flowers are gone, it’s still attractive and doesn’t grow too large.

Here’s a link from HGTV: Dogwood Tree

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PHPaul:

Which variety is that specifically? It looks perfect for a spot I'm going to be landscaping. I know some varieties like shade, do you have any issues with it out in the open like that?

That looks just like mine.Mine is a Lace Leaf and I think it is a Crimson Queen.Lots of different varieties https://mendocinomaples.com/la...eaf-japanese-maples/. Lots of trimming instructions available to get the look you want.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

Sorry, I don't remember and didn't keep records.

We've had some seriously cold Winters since we planted that and no issues at all. We do prune it a bit to keep it from overwhelming the steps it's planted next to and if I had it to do over I'd have planted it a bit further away. Other than that, it's been care free.

Edit: Triggertreat is most likely correct. It does have "lacy" leaves.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Dogwood. We have several and at something like 20 years old they are less than 20’ tall.

Another nice tree is a Flowering Plum. Again, 20 years old, trunk is about 6” in diameter, probably 15’ tall. Pretty pink little flowers in Spring, then maroon leaves through the summer.

A reminder, because I see it ALL the time - small trees remain small because SOMEONE TRIMS THEM. Too often I see shrubbery that was supposed to be a small accent become an overgrown house hider. People think “plant it and forget it”.

You have to care for it, trim annually if possible. The smallest limbs, trimmed when small and sprouting in the wrong place, cause the least stress to the tree. We heal from our wounds. Trees heal from theirs too, only it may take YEARS. How careful would we be if we knew a small cut on our hand would take 6 months to heal? Be that careful when trimming. Cut so the wound is as small as possible. Final though - be careful too with the lawn mower -“how close can I get to the trunk so I don’t have to trim?”. This can scrape bark off at the ground level, being another wound to heal.

I have trimmed and cut down a lot of trees in the past 30+ years. I actually don’t like killing trees. They have taken years, decades to get where they are. Here comes wild man Chris with his chainsaw. Not a happy thought for the tree.
One thought I have is if I am a doctor and my only acceptable technique is amputation - how can I do the least damage?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the birds have taken a very big hit in the U.S.

Am hoping you would consider a tree that the birds / bee's will enjoy as well/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
We have a Tokyo Tower tree that we've been really happy with. It's a variety of Chinese fringetree and it grows in a compact column shape. It has very pretty white flowers when it blooms.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post