SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My credit card # got stolen or the semi-monthly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My credit card # got stolen or the semi-monthly Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
The cards we use have a very good fraud detection and alert system going. Sadly we know this because we have had to kill and get new cards issued twice in the past 3-4 years.

I've had 1 credit card copied and fraudulently used twice within maybe 3 years. The 2nd time around the card company stopped it immediately, it was impressive. Both instances were duplicates of my own card were created and their use was physical swiping. The most recent time was in March of this year and we had traveled by car to Michigan and then I did a side trip over to CMP North Store in Ohio. I had reserved a rental car with that card and rented with it. I used that card for gas and food on the journey to Michigan and Ohio (I don't think I used it for the substantial CMP purchase though). I can't recall the timing, but at the same time or within a day of that trip the copied card was being used in North or South Carolina. Two sub-$50 Wally World purchases were denied. I think they may have even occurred before we had started heading back, like there was a strong possibility I could have kept driving southeast from Ohio after being in a rental car but without that card being used to gas the car (instead using a different card). I assume it raised the red flag and the AI guessed correctly. I was impressed the card company's AI picked up on that.

Skynet is becoming self-aware.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post