SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Historic plane crashes at Texas airport; 13 passengers onboard survive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Historic plane crashes at Texas airport; 13 passengers onboard survive Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A historic C-47 twin-engine prop plane crashed at the Burnet Municipal Airport in Texas on Saturday; all 13 passengers onboard survived, officials said.

The Burnet County Sheriff's Office said the C-47 "Bluebonnet Belle" was trying to takeoff when it crashed.

All 13 passengers onboard were able to exit the aircraft with one person suffering significant burn injuries and had to be airlifted to the hospital. Seven others had minor injuries.

After the crash, the aircraft caught on fire, igniting some grass around it, which was put out by firefighters on the scene.

The Texas Department of Public Safety and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the cause of the crash.

The World War II-era aircraft was owned by the Highland Lakes Squadron, FOX 7 reported. KVUE reported the plane was en route to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, before the crash.

Link

Short video of short flight at link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pilot, but I was under the impression that on a tail dragger the rear of the plane is supposed to be off the ground before the main wheels.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This article has a lot more details and describes the plane as a DC-3 (civilian version of the C-47).

https://www.mystatesman.com/ne...r05eSupljKKwHvwJBqN/

According to the owners, it was built as a C-47B:

http://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/aircraft/c47

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No telling what happened of course, but the airport is ~1250’ ASL, it has been in the low 100F temp and 14 SOB with baggage for Oshkosh.

The Statesman article says the plane was operated last week without problems.

Too hot, too high, too heavy is a starting guess.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Very glad to see all on-board made it out alive. I’ve driven past this airport who knows how many times in my travels between Fort Worth and San Antonio. I knew this aircraft was there and always wanted to stop at their small museum one day. It’s always sad to see a piece of flying history such as this disappear.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
No telling what happened of course, but the airport is ~1250’ ASL, it has been in the low 100F temp and 14 SOB with baggage for Oshkosh.

Add in only 5000' of runway.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm not a pilot, but I was under the impression that on a tail dragger the rear of the plane is supposed to be off the ground before the main wheels.

Not necessarily, but in the Douglas one normally flies the tail before lifting off. The tail will come up with engine power, whereas flying speed needs achieved to get the airplane off the ground.

Some tailwheel aircraft will come off in a three point attitude, and it's common to land three point, but the Doug normally does wheel landings and wheel takeoffs. It's hard to get flying speed in the DC-3 with the tail on the ground.

The Doug (Douglas) is a dog, especially with a loads. It has a certain charm, until you work on them, when they become another round-engine SOB.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Add in only 5000' of runway.

Hard to say if runway length was a factor. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBMQ has an aerial of the runway, it looks like they used 19 and were in the air before reaching the lower taxiway with runway remaining.

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt hot or high had anything to do with it.

Round engines catch fire, and there are plenty of air cooled cylinder heads on each engine to lift and cause a power loss or failure...or fire. The aircraft in the pictures looks intact, appears to have departed the runway (as can occur with an engine failure).

The outfit operating the aircraft is the confederate airforce (commemorative air force, or whatever they're rebranding as this week). Often flown by airline pilots or other volunteers, most of whom have very little round engine experience. CAF has had a number of losses over the past years.

These are old airplanes. Most have a lot of hours, and a lot of "miles" on them. Parts aren't easy to come by any more. Many of those working on them don't have old airplane or round motor experience.

The carburetors in these have auto-lean and auto-rich functions (Bendix and Stromberg pressure carburetors). They don't always do what they're supposed to do. Sometimes they get by with finesse, sometimes they catch fire.

Too soon to know, and too few details.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
https://tinyurl.com/y74mbvkk

https://aviation-safety.net/

Number of radial engine losses recently. Add in Lufthansa throwing in the towel on the Lockheed L-1649A Starliner up in Maine sad times for these old birds.

https://tinyurl.com/ybocs27v

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
this was the weather about 20 minutes prior to the reported takeoff time.

KBMQ 211353Z AUTO 21008KT 10SM CLR 28/22 A3008 RMK AO2 SLP163 T02780217 $

https://tinyurl.com/y73m4vfy

about 920 nm to KOSH.

Departing runway 19 with those reported winds not much of a crosswind.

Absent engine or prop failure, which is hard to tell from the video they look to be turning, early rotation, then over correction perhaps?

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post