SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    80# Tannerite Gender Reveal - Whoa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

80# Tannerite Gender Reveal - Whoa Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
And this is why we can't have nice things...........

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new...der-reveal-explosion

A gender reveal celebration that involved more than 80 pounds of explosives rocked a New Hampshire neighborhood and beyond Tuesday night.

The blast was felt as far away as northern Massachusetts, the Union Leader reported. Kingston police responded to a Torromeo Industries quarry where they found people who acknowledged holding a gender reveal party involving explosives and thought this would be the safest spot to hold it.

The police found a container with chalk and Tannerite -- an over-the-counter explosive target used for firearms practice sold in kit form -- at the quarry. The man who detonated the explosive reportedly surrendered to authorities.

UPDATE: Kingston police say approx. 80 pounds of Tannerite were used at that gender reveal party that caused a massive explosion that shook homes for miles. Man who detonated it has turned himself in to police and is cooperating. Police haven’t decided on charges.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Ignorance - people are dangerous when they think they know what they are doing. Like FPS Russia when he was almost killed by the fridge door he blew off. FYI cloud cover makes the boom worse so do those things on a clear day.

FPS Russia

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
TTIWWV. I cannot be the only person to click this thread expecting to see video. Frown And you know half a dozen people got this on video.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Like FPS Russia when he was almost killed by the fridge door he blew off.
Very first thing I thought of when reading this. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Gotta love that reportage: heard as far away as northern MA!

I mean, looking at Google, "northern MA" is less than 5 miles away from the site of the explosion.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've ranted about this a couple of times in the forum. All adults who are in any way involved with "gender reveal parties" have some growing up to do, but it is the adult males in particular who should hang their head in shame. Grow up. Really, grow up. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
These things are officially out of control Roll Eyes

I blame Instagram, Facebook and YouTube, everyone wants to out-do the next guy. Didn’t one of these go very wrong with something exploding and killing one of the grandmothers-to-be? That happened in the past year or two if I recall.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
We did a gender reveal for my hamster. Nothing fancy like this mind you. We just flipped it over to see if it had a dick.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
We did a gender reveal for my hamster. Nothing fancy like this mind you. We just flipped it over to see if it had a dick.
Big Grin. And the video?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Big Grin. And the video?

Hmmm.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Big Grin. And the video?

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
People really can’t seem to conceptualize that when they are buying and using tannerite or any of the other similar products that they are using a commercial quality high explosive. These exploding target compositions have detonation velocities that are very similar to commercial dynamites, and actually higher than what is used to break rock. These products literally take us back to the days where any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk into a hardware store and buy commercial dynamite to help them with digging ditches, getting rid of beaver dams, etc. People have absolutely no respect for these products and they should. They are fun and I have no problem with people being able to acquire and use them but they should absolutely be held accountable for their misuse. But I guess in the meantime it’s job security for me.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was the alleged crime other than making a lot of noise?

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
These products literally take us back to the days where any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk into a hardware store and buy commercial dynamite to help them with digging ditches, getting rid of beaver dams, etc.

Yeah, awful.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
What was the alleged crime other than making a lot of noise?

Breathing while stupid?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn’t one of these go very wrong with something exploding and killing one of the grandmothers-to-be? That happened in the past year or two if I recall.

Some clowns attempted to shoot-off a cannon where colored smoke would be the reveal..didn't work, blew-up and a few relatives are missing now.
Then there's been a handful of wildfires started by these idiots, one of them was a LEO. No fire extinguishers or, any fire prevention taken..never mind in a dry environment. Roll Eyes
There was a dumb-ass in Mexico using a low-flying airplane ended-up nose diving it into the water right in front of all the family.
Many more...

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time someone said they were going to a gender reveal party I though they were talking about someone getting a sex change.

Gender reveal parties is about the dumbest "look at me" crap out there.

What happened to just telling people?

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
These products literally take us back to the days where any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk into a hardware store and buy commercial dynamite to help them with digging ditches, getting rid of beaver dams, etc.

Yeah, awful.

I’m in no way opposed to being able to go back to those days don’t mistake my point. However, when was the last time that you heard about some farmer doing something so stupid when he was laying ditches with dynamite that he bought without a license or permit? When was the last time that you heard of a rancher doing something so stupid when getting rid of a beaver dam? My point is simply that these exploding target products are absolutely 100% a loophole to the safe explosives act that will allow anyone to purchase a commercial quality explosive without a license when they otherwise wouldn’t have been able to. I have no issue with that but people are doing ridiculously stupid stuff with these products that they never would have done before and if they keep it up then they will end up screwing things up for a lot of people.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I heard it from my house which about 15 mile north. Not sure where the 80 pound number came from but word is it wasn't nearly that much. I tend to doubt the nitwit went out and bought $400 in Tannerite just for this.

But it was loud. Stupid part is that if could have sent rocks flying all over the place. More of a concern than the tennerite is clueless idiots buying these "kits" from amazon and then shooting at them in probably what is a less than safe area.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to visit the historical sites in the Yoop and many of these sites revolve around the mining industry. To gain more info about the area, I have a CD with the local newspaper headlines from the mining era. There are multiple stories, year after year, of people killed by flying debris from mine blasting and explosive accidents. Lots of property damage too and often those killed are quite a distance from the actual blast.
When I read the stories I cant help but compare them to idiocy with Tannerite.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post