SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RememberingToy Soldiers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RememberingToy Soldiers Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A friend had a train around his room. We'd set them up & shoot them off with a blow/dart gun. Challenging to get them without putting holes in the walls.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of The Desert Fox playlet I got one Christmas. I played with those soldiers and tanks for years. As best I remember the soldiers were very well modeled and pretty realistic. One even had a hole/wound in his back and you could snap him onto another medic figure and carry him to safety.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Used to set up our plastic armies on the carpet and roll or shoot marbles back and forth.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Had a Guns of Navarone playset as a kid. It was probably my favorite toy. My cat liked it too. I would set everything up preparing for battle and then Catzilla would come along and knock everything over. Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I had a few plastic toy soldiers and several that I found along the way that was the good guy team (think A-Team, many years earlier). When I was a little older, I bought a set of plastic cowboys and Indians and painted them. Lincoln logs and marvels were good artillery at my house, too, but the good guy team often used infiltration methods similar to Captain Mallory in TGoN mentioned earlier.

When my wife and I visited Ireland a few years ago, we heard about the Prince August Toy Factory in a little village a short distance south of the road between Cork and Killarney. We stopped by for a tour of their facility and were impressed with it and their figures. They make and sell collectible figures, kits, molds, and supplies. There were a number of nice displays featuring figures from Greek and Roman times through the present. Their website is

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/

I’m not associated in any way other than by visiting that morning.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
What I remember best about the plastic soldiers is if you lit one and held it the dripping burning plastic made the weirdest sound.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had green ( ‘Merica) ones and gray ( Zee germans) ones....used to play with them all over our yard, under the house in the crawl space, at my grandmas....then suddenly I didn’t, growing up sucks

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This was a big expensive gift when I got it. lol

The "Army men" I wish I still had more of are these guys. Army men, cowboys and indians. I have to tear the old shed down and I have a hunch when I do I may find a few more. They're maybe 5 1/2, 6" tall.
That cowboy's had his barrels chewed off and sports a couple BB gun wounds.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Had one of these growing up; part of the Civil War Centennial marketing system.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could not afford toy soldiers so I improvised and put blanket on floor and made folds and hills and then had battles between red beans and black beans with nails as cannon and machine guns. I had armies with hundreds on each side.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also had Roman legions, Medieval Knights and American revolutionary soldiers fighting the redcoats. For many years I bore the scars from soldiers that melted onto the top of my foot. Be careful when you set you’re toys on fire.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah!! Lots of great memories.
Civil war with cannons, WW2 with a German 88, Panzer Tiger, and a castle with knights and working catapults, and Lincoln Logs!

So much fun!!!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
definitely spent a lot of time playing with army men as a kid. I'm on the younger side of this conversation probably, but spent a lot of time in my mom's garden and flower boxes playing army men walking, crawling, and hiking through the mud, flowers, and "jungles." there's probably a few still in that back yard if someone looked hard enough. Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
God I loved that Navarone set. I remember buying it with birthday money.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid there was this game called "Giant Cooties." They were big plastic multi-part six legged bugs. I didn't then and don't know now what the game rules were. I used the bugs to stage sci-fi movie scenes: I'd array the bugs against my back- of-the-comic book green army soldiers, with crumpled tissues to replicate artillery explosions.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I remember the plastic green ones would drip flaming little balls when lit on fire!

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
I remember the plastic green ones would drip flaming little balls when lit on fire!

Which is why I didn't have any after a couple years of playing with them.
I guess I was destined to be a fireman even way back when.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post