SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RememberingToy Soldiers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RememberingToy Soldiers Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I played with toy soldiers since I have memory.
The first ones were made of lead, lots of missing limbs and heads on those ones. Falls were lethal and figurines were slim, colourful.
They were followed by less detailed and plastic ones. Hundreds of them. My uncle taught me how to play with them, he is big on militaria. We would take a couple of days to setup battles all over the place and a full day at least to fight them. The basic plastic grunt wore the civil war uniform while later troops, the green ones were like the ones on Toy Story.
We had our Elite troops as well, more detailed. Those were mainly Airfix (?) produced. Expensive but beautiful and theayer oriented. Last ones were even more detailed and had a die cast base.

What are your related memories?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lincoln log artillery causes many casualties...

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember having some cast metal ones, but mostly the cast plastic ones. Wonder where they went? I suppose my parents threw them away as I got older.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I remember toy soldiers, and Black Cat fire crackers.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My brother and I had a huge tub full of Lincoln logs and dozens of plastic WW2 German soldiers.

We used to build opposing fortifications from Lincoln logs, then set up the soldiers inside, then take turns bombarding each other's forts with thrown small Lincoln logs.

It was these Airfix plastic German soldiers:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I also remember the grey molded German soldiers...I also had some very detailed Japanese soldiers molded in a light tan plastic. This thread brings back memories Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There were two ways to do it. Buy the already cast and painted ones or get a set of dies, much like bullet molds. Then cast and paint your own. My uncle happened upon a box of the casting dies, bought them and gave them to me for some occasion. My buddies and I were in tall cotton for a few years. Then we outgrew them. I've always suspected my mother tossed them out because she hated soldiers, war or anything associated.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember placing a back cover comic book order for a battlefield set with "real exploding tanks". Back then, the order was sent by mail, the check had to clear, and you waited 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Upon arrival, I eagerly opened the package and immediately was struck with disappointment. The "exploding tanks" were actually just molded in two pieces with a rubber band connecting them. The "mines" were cardboard discs about 1/2" in diameter that could be placed under the garbage bag thin plastic "realistic battlefield". If you pushed the tank across the landscape while exerting just the right pressure, you could get the two pieces of the tank to fold up on each other when it passed over the disc. As I recall, the soldiers almost all carried rifles designed for shooting around corners. The barrels were all bent.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would set mine up and then subject them to incoming artillery fire from my Daisy lever action BB Gun.
Great fun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Had both the American and German plastic molded soldiers as above. Used to have some epic battles with them. I'm sure there are several of the MIA in the dirt where I grew up.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Move all the living room furniture off the rug (this was before wall-to-wall carpet), give it several big flips and we had terrain for our troops to wage their battles.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had 'em when I was a kid too. But what I remember most is a kid down the street who would deploy his all over a dirt mound (usually at a nearby lot where a house was being built) and attack it with a pellet gun and large cherry bombs. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
Move all the living room furniture off the rug (this was before wall-to-wall carpet), give it several big flips and we had terrain for our troops to wage their battles.

Haha, yes- we used to put two dining room chairs under a big oval rug and have a mountain for indoor battles and did double duty for hot wheels cars.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I still have all my childhood toys like my green army men toy soldiers. Like you, Yoopers, I used my BB gun to rain down on them in the basement.

Pretty dumb as I could have "put my eye out" with all the ricochets off the concrete basement floors and walls.

Great fun!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I remember placing a back cover comic book order for a battlefield set with "real exploding tanks". Back then, the order was sent by mail, the check had to clear, and you waited 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Upon arrival, I eagerly opened the package and immediately was struck with disappointment. The "exploding tanks" were actually just molded in two pieces with a rubber band connecting them. The "mines" were cardboard discs about 1/2" in diameter that could be placed under the garbage bag thin plastic "realistic battlefield". If you pushed the tank across the landscape while exerting just the right pressure, you could get the two pieces of the tank to fold up on each other when it passed over the disc. As I recall, the soldiers almost all carried rifles designed for shooting around corners. The barrels were all bent.

A check? I just stuffed some bills and coins in an envelope. Luckily our USPS realized the importance that it arrive at it's destination.
I also had disappointment. Upon opening I realized they were 2-D men and vehicles. But on the plus side that made them perfect for BB-Guns.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Melted and cast into into balls to shoot the Redcoats.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Timely post. Just the last week, my brother and I set up some cheap plastic ones at 50, 100, and 150 yards to shoot with 22LR. Pretty good challenge if you are up for it. Especially difficult when trying to pick up the green guys in the grass and brown guys in the dirt.

I wish we had some of the older plastic ones. They were 10x better than the cheap flimsy shit ones of today, though they are quite adequate as target fodder.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I had the plastic ones. Green were USA troops, "butterscotch" were British, Grey were the Germans, Different color green were the Russians, and yellow were the Japanese.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lined up the green plastic ones evenly divided Then stretched rubberbands over a book cover & shot them down. Winner had the most standing after ?? shots.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Got a few still of them still around.

The paper mache' Germans still have the wire gun barrels and are in a curio cabinet facing a (Metal Earth IconX) steel dragon.

I think I traded all the smaller plastic solders for Legos, then traded the Legos for Transformers.

Kept the Transformers. Can't believe what they sell for nowadays.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post