SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    India: rescue of child from oncoming train
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

India: rescue of child from oncoming train Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ks-oncoming-n1264832

video at link

The mother is visually impaired. (from another report)

A man is being praised as a hero after risking his life to rescue a child who fell onto train tracks at the Vangani station in Mumbai, India, as an oncoming train barreled into the station, according to India's Ministry of Railways.

The ministry released video that shows Shri Mayur Shelke running at full speed down a set of train tracks to save a child who had fallen off the platform and onto the tracks as a train approached.

The video, captured by security cameras at the station, shows the child initially walking alongside an unidentified person when they slip off of the edge of the platform and onto the tracks below. The video shows the child struggling to get back onto the platform and the unidentified person grasping at the air, struggling to pull them to safety.

As the oncoming train quickly approaches, Shelke can be seen sprinting toward the child and throwing them onto the platform just seconds before a train blows past them, swooping in to save their life with just moments to spare.

Shelke works as a pointsman at the Vangani station where the incident occurred. Following his heroic efforts, the Ministry of Railways congratulated Shelke in a press release, praising him for his actions and offering him a monetary reward of 50,000 rupees.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
There are a limited number of things in life that can still floor me, and one of those things is true heroism. That was true heroism.

That situation required zero hesitation if that child stood a chance at surviving. That man obviously acted in literally a split second. I love seeing stuff like this. I love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freakin A. Didn't look like many people around to help based on the video. Based on the woman's actions, I believe the woman was visually impaired. If you look at her initial reaction she was looking around until she was able to locate the child's calls for help, and her motions were very measured and unsure. Had she been fully sighted I'm sure she would have sprinted right over. I can only imagine the panic she felt hearing the child's screams and a train coming and she was helpless. May God Bless that man.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Whew... Milliseconds there... You could see he took one wavering step and then the real heroism started and he grabbed the kid.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You ever tried to run on railroad ties? Full speed? Now throw in the added stress of trying to beat a train to a child. Kudos to this guy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That man has some good karma headed his way.

Very courageous indeed.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
That’s so cool to see. If he doesn’t get that little girl completely onto the platform, she’s not gonna make it. Awesome!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
His reward equals $682. I hope that is a huge amount in India. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
True heroism.

Why in the world a grandmother who cannot see would be trusted to take a child anywhere near danger is beyond me. The decisions made by some people (in this case the parents) are without merit.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the child blind too? Walked right off the platform or did Mom accidentally bump her off?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post