SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternative to Air Pods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to Air Pods Login/Join 
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I am not an audiophile that can tell the difference between headphones. I just need to be able to hear the music or podcast that I'm listening to clearly. As such I am perfectly content to buy the earbuds that are on sale on Amazon in their daily deals. I haven't spent more than $30 and as little as $16 on perfectly decent earbuds from there. I have 3 or 4 pair available between home and work for when I inevitably lose or misplace a pair. When needed, I almost immediately have a backup available to use. The only downside is that some of them don't last for more then about 6 hours of use before needing to be recharged. That's usually more time than I need them for so I just need to remember to throw them back in the case to recharge when I'm done.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Part of my business is mowing. I do it for a living and my ears are important to me and the best I’ve found so far has been a set of good earplugs and Shokz bone-conducting headphones.

https://shokz.com/products/openrunpro

This. This is the right way to do it.

If your goal is hearing protection, they you have to wear hearing protection. Noise canceling ear buds are NOT hearing protection.

Yup, wholeheartedly agree. I use mine for mowing, along with ear plugs. I’m on my second pair, thinking I had lost my first, which I later found.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought those skull candy dime 2’s for $26 when I thought my dog ate my AirPods. Or one of them at least. Turns out he didn’t.

The Dime 2’s don’t sound as good with music as the AirPods. They are also a hundred bucks + cheaper so not a huge surprise. They sound good enough for me though. They work well on phone calls. Horrible battery life though. A couple phone calls and whatnot and they are D-U-N.

What they do extremely well, much better than AirPods, is sit comfortably in your ears and stay there.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If you have an Amex Business Platinum card, they give a $200 semi-annual credit for anything you buy from Dell. And Dell sells the Bose earbuds. They're normally $275, so $75 after the Amex credit. I just grabbed a set. For music they crush the Apple AirPods. For phone calls and other stuff, the rubber gaskets block out too much other stuff. I like to use my AirPods to play my guitar along with songs on Youtube. The Bose earbuds block out too much of my practice amp and I have to crank it to hear it. So the AirPods are better for that. But for the gym the Bose earbuds are THE BEST.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I have been using Beats for some time because I did not want to spend the $ on AirPods pros. Just got the pros last week and I am impressed. way better on the plane than the beats and connectivity is better/faster.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I AirPods Pro and Sony Linkbuds. The Linkbuds won't say in my ears.

If you are using Apple products I recommend staying with Airpods.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After trying several of the suggestions, bucked up and bought theAirpod Pros. Just seemed to work easier/better with my iPhone.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike gave me a set of off brand ear buds. They stuck into the ear canal and over last season I found them to be less than satisfactory, due to the sweat developed while working outside. The things kept slipping out.

A few weeks ago she bought me a set of real apple air pods and they are far superior to the other brand. They kind of just sit in the exterior of the ear and not in the ear canal. The sound is much better. I have been using them around the house and while watching shows. Even while eating they don’t fall out.

To me, they are worth the 3x the cost of the knock offs

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
J-Lab makes a lot of different styles with different options at great prices. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Best customer service bar none.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41500

I got them on sale for $59.99 great deal. They have good battery life and sound great. Comes with an app to tune the sound profile to how you like it. Have noise reduction or ambient enhance (so like you can hear the intercom at the airport if you want).

Good luck making a decision

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post