SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There is life after Facebook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There is life after Facebook Login/Join 
posted
I turned 65 in July and shut down my Facebook page the last day of June. While I am in sales and have a lot of people follow me I just got tired of seeing all of the stupid shit and quite honestly I spent way too much time on there anyway....I felt that 65 was a good time to start managing my time better and use the 1-2 hours a day I spent on FB more wisely.
I can honestly say that this past month I have been more focused and don't have all the stupid shit cluttering my mind.
Even though I used FB I felt that it was (and is) why there are so many assholes and angry people in the world...every friggen day all day long people are pissed off at something on there.

Other thoughts on 65....Medicare is pretty dam cheap insurance....I've been self employed for over 20 years.
We have one more son in his last year of college and we have had at least one son in college for the past eight years..time for me and the wife to actually be able to plan our expenses.
65......still plan on working till at least 70 but do enjoy my work...65.....

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have a hard rule on FB.
If I go to a friends page & there's nothing personal on it or only 1-2 postings are personal out of the first 10 posts, I unfollow them..

The original intent of FB is fantastic.
A way for friends & family to keep in touch & up to speed on each other.

But too many simply use it as a platform for reposting memes & for political posturing.

I post nothing but what I'm doing.
I do quite a bit of stuff in my shop & we travel a lot so family & friends chime in & we exchange stories.

But it is difficult to sift thru all the BS in the daily FB feeds.

In the end it's reconnected me with so many guys I served with that its benefits far out weight the draw backs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Just what is this "Face Book" of which you speak???

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Never been...never will.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I have a hard rule on FB.
If I go to a friends page & there's nothing personal on it or only 1-2 postings are personal out of the first 10 posts, I unfollow them..

The original intent of FB is fantastic.
A way for friends & family to keep in touch & up to speed on each other.

But too many simply use it as a platform for reposting memes & for political posturing.

I post nothing but what I'm doing.
I do quite a bit of stuff in my shop & we travel a lot so family & friends chime in & we exchange stories.

But it is difficult to sift thru all the BS in the daily FB feeds.

But in the end it's reconnected me with so many guys I served with that its benefits far out weight the draw backs.

I started on FB about 10 years ago to see what my kids were up to as well as their friends and it was great for that. I moved away from my birthplace after high school and seldom return but reconnected with a couple of hundred old classmates and friends and it was great for that.
There is just so much negative crap floating around there and it got old. My main source of news is Fox online and I read the headlines and if something is really important then my friends at SIGforum will inform me Smile

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Never been...never will.

This ^^^

Any and all social media sites

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I had my FB account deleted months ago. Haven't looked back. It nauseates me to think about going back.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
my business is my business.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

Never had facebook...

Never will have facebook.

Mark Dice really sheds the light on Facebook in his book entitled The Real Story of Fake News.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have had an account since you had to have a college email address to join. I haven't been on there in nearly two years. I'm totally over social media.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The ONLY reason I had to create a facelessbook account was because my TV started having a known issue and the ONLY way to open a service ticket was through the SONY rep on facelessbook. I have NEVER posted anything personal in my account and now I'm a member of two tennis groups that use it to post when someone in the group wants to play. If it weren't for that, I'd delete it tonight.

I understand the original intent of the site, but it's grown into well beyond senseless drivel.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:
Never been...never will.

This ^^^

Any and all social media sites

You just posted on one, ya know

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

True, but it's a whole different animal.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But also similar... Everyone has a profile here. People freely post the cars they have and how long they have them, the guns they have, where they live, the restaurants they frequent, the socks they wear, and any other daily personal minutiae that they want to share... it’s just a different format. There’s assholes here, there’s assholes there.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been a great deal of whining by others in my life about my eschewing the curse of Facebook. They want to know why I wont sign up.
I tell them I wont participate because I have no desire to return to Junior High.
And I don't Tweet, Snapchat or Instagram either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
quote:

But also similar... Everyone has a profile here. People freely post the cars they have and how long they have them, the guns they have, where they live, the restaurants they frequent, the socks they wear, and any other daily personal minutiae that they want to share... it’s just a different format. There’s assholes here, there’s assholes there.

You make an excellent point, RAMIUS. That's why some of us are a little more discrete about what we disclose - even here on Para's most excellent site. Smile

But, like I said above, Facebook really is a dangerous entity because of who they are allied with, and what their agenda is.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Now double-down. Get off LinkedIn.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have a hard rule about FB, too. My firewall blocks facebook.com. I have no desire to have an account, nor follow any links that take me to FB.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post