SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finished a second masters degree last month and it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished a second masters degree last month and it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
If it increases you paycheck and thus your retirement money then no matter how much you hated it, you'll come out ahead.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dispossess yourself of all earthly goods and go live amongst the mountain gorillas in the Bwindi.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the accomplishment! However, I didn't see in the curriculum a class on saying 'No!'. In my experience, that's the only thing HR has ever communicated to me.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I recommend you apply for HR jobs in government, Local and State. If it's a big enough municipality, it should be a long term job. Unless you like job hopping.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Having two masters differentiates you from other job candidates; I have two and it helped me to secure a new job soon after a company shut down and it doubled what I was making in three years. I think 20% have one masters so having two masters is smaller. My alternatives were to get a PhD or a law degree. I couldn't find a law school that was accredited within easy commute. And I didn't feel like a PhD was going to help me career wise.

Although, the choice of an HR for a second masters is strange for me. Usually, non-engineering type masters are geared for management anyways. So unless you were doing HR work already, it wouldn't have been my first choice if it was me. And, now, that masters in HR would still need a SHRM certification to go with it.

Good luck and I hope it pays for you as well.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I recommend you apply for HR jobs in government, Local and State. If it's a big enough municipality, it should be a long term job. Unless you like job hopping.

I've noticed that even in my company which is 150,000+ people, the HR types don't seem to last long. Maybe a year, two tops.

Either they hate it or HR is a very nomadic job in the corporate world.

Personally I think they are useless. HR gets to hire people here, not the managers who actually need the person. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Yeah. The head of our HR just retired in January after I think 30 years. Also, most other people in our HR have been there for as long as I've been here, over 15 years. I am making the assumption that other county agencies are the same though.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Really, I think you should consider the hermit thing.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
$600 per credit hour, and they're all 4-credit courses. I always thought 4-credit classes were a money making scam. I took both 3 and 4 credit classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels and could never tell the difference in workload.

Even if it doesn't feel like an accomplishment, at least you finished it. I'm sure it'll look good on a resume to the right people. I know there's no way I could complete that curriculum. I was bored just reading through the course listings!

I thought that $600/credit hour was actually kind of cheap. My MBA program was $1,700/credit hour with courses being 3 credit hours each.

The course descriptions make the courses sound much better than they really are, believe it or not.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Reminiscent of what we called “box checker 2000”

Funny you mention that. I was talking to the BDE CDR a couple weeks ago and told him that I'm not a box checker, I'm not a politician and I don't do things for metrics. He didn't seem amused.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Having two masters differentiates you from other job candidates; I have two and it helped me to secure a new job soon after a company shut down and it doubled what I was making in three years. I think 20% have one masters so having two masters is smaller. My alternatives were to get a PhD or a law degree. I couldn't find a law school that was accredited within easy commute. And I didn't feel like a PhD was going to help me career wise.

Although, the choice of an HR for a second masters is strange for me. Usually, non-engineering type masters are geared for management anyways. So unless you were doing HR work already, it wouldn't have been my first choice if it was me. And, now, that masters in HR would still need a SHRM certification to go with it.

Good luck and I hope it pays for you as well.

Looking back at it, I probably should've gone to law school after I finished my MBA. I wouldn't have practiced law as it doesn't interest me but the JD would have been one hell of an accomplishment.

I thought about a DBA, maybe that's still in the future but not in the short term future.

I chose HR because I thought it was business related and that it would teach me specific subjects that the MBA did not since the MBA is so wide. I am a member of SHRM but I'm not sure if I want to go for any of their certs.

If I do a cert, I was thinking PMP.

In the short term future, I'm thinking Lean Six Sigma.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

If I do a cert, I was thinking PMP.

In the short term future, I'm thinking Lean Six Sigma.

I think PMP or Lean Six Sigma is still hot. Unless you're in IT, then it's scrum / agile.

I'm not working anymore. I'm using my Excel / VBA programming skills for my own purpose, usually analyzing my portfolio / investment strategy / stock performance. I'll wait a bit if I want to pursue a law degree for shits and giggles. I remember a story on an old guy who finally passed his bar exam.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just think how happy you'd be as a recluse. The only peer review in the mountains is nature itself.

posted Hide Post
PMP seems hotter than six sigma at the moment.

That is why I picked up my PMP.

Scrum/Agile is easy to get, but it seems to be for a lower pay grade.

The programmers I talk too, at a decent pay grade laugh at the scrum certs.

It is useful as good way to get your foot in the door with little experience.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just think how happy you'd be as a recluse. The only peer review in the mountains is nature itself.

Few years ago when I drove through Montana, I thought it would be a great place to stay over the summer months. Not sure I could suffer those winters, though.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
PMP seems hotter than six sigma at the moment.

That is why I picked up my PMP.

Scrum/Agile is easy to get, but it seems to be for a lower pay grade.

The programmers I talk too, at a decent pay grade laugh at the scrum certs.

It is useful as good way to get your foot in the door with little experience.

I never understood the scrum thing. What the hell is a scrum master? LOL.

I've heard the PMP exam being compared to the bar exam in terms of difficulty. How was the PMP exam for you? I would end up taking one of those crash courses over a long weekend. Friend of mine got his PMP and said within a week, he had quite a number of recruiters contacting him.