SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finished a second masters degree last month and it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished a second masters degree last month and it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I finished this last month:

https://www.rollins.edu/evenin...human-resources.html

quote:

REQUIRED CORE CLASSES
MHR 500 Strategic Human Resources Management
MHR 510 Organizational Change and Development
MHR 515 Recruitment, Selection, and Retention
MHR 538 HR Leadership
MHR 540 Management Consulting
MHR 533 Employment and Labor Law

ELECTIVES (4 classes required - minimum 16 credit hours)
MHR 501 International HRM
MHR 505 Training and Development
MHR 522 Organizational Behavior
MHR 532 Succession Management
MHR 542 Team Building
MHR 543 Employee Relations
MHR 544 Conflict Management
MHR 545 Troubled Employees
MHR 557 Compensation Management
MHR 559 Performance Management
MHR 590 Special Topic Course
MHR 591 SHRM National Conference
MHR 610 Managing the HR Department
MHR 625 Emerging Issues in Human Resources Management
MHR 670 Independent Research (2-6 credits)
MHR 673 Independent Project (2-6 credits)
MHR 675 Internship (2-6 credits)
MHR 677 Thesis (4-8 credits)

MHR 500: Strategic Human Resource Management [4 credits]
Provides an overview of the Human Resources (HR) profession. Emphasizes strategic thinking concepts (e.g.: human capital theory, value added, best practices, distinctive competencies, competitive advantages, return on investment) and tools (e.g.: vision, values, assessment, design, implementation, evaluation). Explores the process of Human Resource Management (HRM) from a strategic perspective using case studies.

MHR 510: Organizational Change and Development [4 credits]
Organization Development (OD) is the process of applying social science principles to the workplace to bring about planned organizational change. Focuses on developing new approaches to organizational problems and providing for the psychological well being of organizational members. Addresses interventions at the personal, group, and system levels.

MHR 515: Recruitment, Selection, and Retention [4 credits]
Various methods for recruiting, selecting, and retaining employees. Topics include equal employment opportunity; human resource planning; determination of staffing needs; internal and external recruitment strategies; selection interviews, tests, and assessment procedures; placement, promotion, and transfer policies; and retention strategies.

MHR 538: HR Leadership [4 credits]
A personal effectiveness course focusing on the cultivation of leadership attributes, skills, and knowledge. Topics include a review of leadership theory, leadership development models, and leadership education. Students will design leadership development programs.

MHR 540: Management Consulting [4 credits]
Focuses on consulting tools, processes, and strategies for establishing relationships, analyzing problems, recommending solutions, and evaluating effectiveness. Course will discuss the planning, marketing, and management of the consulting firm as well as the assignment.

MHR 553: Employment and Labor Law [4 credits]
Analyzes state and federal regulations of human resource decision-making. Significant attention will be devoted to specific employment and labor laws. The course focuses on the identification and application of legal, ethical, and regulatory issues in formulating and implementing policies.

Prior to this, I had finished an MBA. The experience/requirements between programs was totally different. The MHR was a waste and if I wasn't two semesters in while using my GI Bill, I would've quit. 10 classes to a masters degree with zero requirement for any business classes. Yet the professors kept trying to play up the importance of HR in the business world. One even went so far to say, "HR should have a seat at the table" What table? The kids table?

-It was an academic joke.
-Some professors only had two 5 minute group presentations for the entire course with 6-7 people in the group.
-Other professors were addressed on a first name basis, this was a big no-no to me because it didn't draw a line between professor-student.
-I'd say about 50% of my classmates, I refused to acknowledge most of them as peers, were straight from undergrad. One said he went back to school because he couldn't find a job.
-Kids were snobby shits thinking they were big shit because they're going to a private college which some people tried to call the Harvard of Orlando. Roll Eyes
-Too many of the kids worked at the school which led me to believe they couldn't find real jobs and/or the school needed people to enroll in the program and easiest way to do that was to have dual employee/student.
-One kid had a work history that was literally bikini model at street car shows.
-There were about 3 people who were older and had work experience.
-At least one of those joked (I think) that she was thinking about suing for her tuition money back.
-Few people dropped out when they saw the shit for what it is: shit.
-One guy was so pissed he didn't even bother walking the stage for graduation.
-No networking. How am I supposed to network when the other students don't even have jobs?

These kids think they're going to come out as a 24 year old with little to no work experience and make $120k a year. It's like they feel entitled and they're better than other people because they went to this school.

I was thinking about writing to the program director and telling him the program is shit and if he doesn't bother replying I'll just go up the chain or maybe skip the chain and go straight to the college president. This is a joke for $600/credit hour.

I enrolled in this program thinking it would give me specific knowledge because an MBA is typically very generalized. In my MBA program, it was 17 courses and included mandatory workshops and presentations at various places. My trips were to DC and Chicago. The students there had a wide variety of work experience. Mandatory courses included classes such as financial accounting, statistics, international economics, managerial accounting, finance, and consulting.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The bright side is you should have mastered water skiing in the time you were there, as well as restaurant hopping on Park Ave....

https://rollinssports.com/sports/wski actually Rollins is a top 5 waterski team. so they are good..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I've said it before, I remember when HR was referred to as the personnel department, and didn't get paid near as well.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike is an HR professional, she had her Batchelors in HR. And went to work from there in her field. She has worked for several different companies and is now with a nationwide food distribution company. She has been with these guys for 5 years , 5 before with a company that got bought out by them, and has been in the field for 18 years. Last year she went over 100k. And due to COVID she has been working only on that for the last year. Making sure the company is in compliance with varying laws in Each state as to pay and benefits.

She didn’t get her masters, but something that is the equivalent in HR...she belongs to Shrm also.

She said none of her professors in school seemed like they knew what they were doing either.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If anyone pops in as surprised, I’ll be surprised.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a joke for $600/credit hour.

$600 per credit hour, and they're all 4-credit courses. I always thought 4-credit classes were a money making scam. I took both 3 and 4 credit classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels and could never tell the difference in workload.

Even if it doesn't feel like an accomplishment, at least you finished it. I'm sure it'll look good on a resume to the right people. I know there's no way I could complete that curriculum. I was bored just reading through the course listings!

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I struggle to think how some of the courses listed above can be taught in a classroom? (like Team Building).

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We are becoming an over credentialed country, where is is often debatable that the particular credential means anything.

You are young, and the credential will have value for you, even if you know it's bullshit. The credentialing universe is it's own self perpetuating organism, and no one is willing to stick a spear in it.

I had a similar conversation with a consultant, who is a former SEAL, and who has used the same GI Bill benefits as you to get an MBA and now a PhD in business. I told him that the business PhDs I had met were fundamentally useless. He agreed, and let on he was only doing it because it gave a material boost to his speaking fees as a motivational speaker. You are on the same train. Don't worry that the program was useless. Use it, and the credential you now possess, within the system to make yourself more valuable.

You don't have to believe the bullshit to take money for it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Well, you know how I feel about people in HR... and I see you contributed to the thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...620068184#9620068184

Hell if I ever wrote down all the dumb bullshit I've seen HR do over the course of my career, the length of the diatribe would easily exceed that of this forum's existing Covid-19 thread.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
She said none of her professors in school seemed like they knew what they were doing either.

Those that can't do teach.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:

Exactly.

I went to college at night while I was also a cop. Those of us in the criminal justice classes that were already cops used to gang up on the teachers and explain that whatever they were teaching was not how things really go....it drove them crazy and one of the teachers would tell us not to respond and let her get thru the material.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It sounds like MHR 540 was the one thing to tie it all together.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs. Mike is an HR professional, she had her Batchelors in HR. And went to work from there in her field. She has worked for several different companies and is now with a nationwide food distribution company. She has been with these guys for 5 years , 5 before with a company that got bought out by them, and has been in the field for 18 years. Last year she went over 100k. And due to COVID she has been working only on that for the last year. Making sure the company is in compliance with varying laws in Each state as to pay and benefits.

She didn’t get her masters, but something that is the equivalent in HR...she belongs to Shrm also.

Looking back I am glad I did not finish college. I started in the chemical plants right out of the Air Force in 1995. No degree but worked my way up and I've been making over 100k for over 10 years now.
Our HR people are only there to hire and fire, they are definitely not "personnel" anymore.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You were crippled by your experience in the military. You had a better grasp of reality than the rest of those yoyos. I had the same thing happen when I got out of the service and went to school.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re:[I enrolled in this program thinking it would give me specific knowledge because]

Over a solid half-century ago due to circumstance unforeseen, I enrolled one summer in an 'advanced post graduate' teacher college certification program.

Your comments barely point the direction of the abysmal quality of the time bandits suffered therein.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. My MS in Biology (in 1996) required 12 classes, a thesis (which I had published in a peer-reviewed journal), and written and oral examinations. My written exams took two 16-hour days, back-to-back, and my orals about 12 hours of prep and 2-3 hours real-time. I EARNED that degree... My wife, also in 1995, got her MA in reading with 10 classes total, no thesis, no project, or exams.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminiscent of what we called “box checker 2000”
When we were training for deployment to Iraq in 2004. A training regimen was established that we were to follow, to the letter, and every soldier regardless of rank or position had to complete it. Never mind that the war was evolving and much of the training was obsolete ( which any junior enlisted soldier in theater could have told you).
Having field grade officers laying on the road on your belly probing for mines with a stick? Really did that.
The general consensus then which can be extrapolated to most higher education today is simple- get through the training, get a “go” ( passing grade) then forget about it and move on.
This sadly has even started to apply ( to a degree at least) to the more technical degrees in healthcare and engineering

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm retired from a Fortune 500 company . Our HR people were more concerned with " Diversity and Inclusion " than anything else .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm retired from a Fortune 500 company . Our HR people were more concerned with " Diversity and Inclusion " than anything else .

You forgot "Equity." It's now "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion." Equity is that hugely logical, well-thought principle that every group/entity deserves a "share" of everything, simply because they exist in some proportion to the whole population.

Retirement can't come soon enough.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:

Exactly.

I went to college at night while I was also a cop. Those of us in the criminal justice classes that were already cops used to gang up on the teachers and explain that whatever they were teaching was not how things really go....it drove them crazy and one of the teachers would tell us not to respond and let her get thru the material.

As a relatively new teacher, that quote annoys the stew out of me. It may be true in some fields, but certainly not all. In my case, I spent 20 years in real-world engineering before I decided to start teaching. I was good at it too, working my way up to principal engineer in a large company. Almost all of my professors in college had real-world engineering experience as well, either in consulting or running their own firm. The few that had never left academia were aware of that shortcoming and actively seeking consulting work to rectify it.

Almost every one of my colleagues could leave academia and make considerably more money in industry. They worked at the highest levels of engineering at places like DARPA and NASA. Like me, many of them took huge cuts in pay to take up teaching. Not to sound overly altruistic, but teaching for many is a sacrificial offering, not a fallback.

Rant aside, I appreciate what Edmond is saying in his OP. Higher education has, by and large, sacrificed academic integrity for numbers. It's intellectual fraud, selling empty certificates that imply knowledge transfer that never happened. Come one, come all, just remember to bring your tuition check, and we'll make sure you can get the certificate.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post