SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which app for second (burner) phone number?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which app for second (burner) phone number? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
There are a myriad of apps that allow using one or more alternate numbers for contact info. Which ones do you folks use and/or like?
Thanks

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've used Voice for years. It's the number I give to tenants, websites, and used car salesmen.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I use "TextNow" it has text, voice, and voicemail capability.

As long as you use it now and then it's free, or you can buy a lifetime number with no use requirement.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any VoIP vendor can set you up with a second phone number. Any SIP phone, desktop, or softphone on your computer or mobile device can be used with it. There are thousands of softphones available, some of them freeware. I will recommend voip.ms as a vendor, they have some nice routing options for incoming calls, including their "digital receptionist" that allows programmatic interaction with a caller before your phone rings, e.g. "if this is a solicitation call, please dial or say '5'" -> disconnect.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Google has phone numbers available, at no charge to you, and they can be permanent or temporary. (Burner phone number). Check out Google Voice.

You can set it up so you can give your Google Phone Number to someone you wouldn't give your regular real phone number to. When they call your Google phone number it can ring into your regular phone, and no one is the wiser.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post