SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    snow-covered windshield, WA photo shows. Cops unamused
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

snow-covered windshield, WA photo shows. Cops unamused Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Ha Ha at least the cops got one of them. Enjoy that $553 ticket. Oh and that negligent driving charge to boot Ha Ha again..

Driver carves out tiny hole on snow-covered windshield, WA photo shows. Cops unamused.

A driver carved out a small hole on their snow-covered windshield and started driving on a Washington highway, troopers said.

But it wasn’t long before a trooper stopped the driver on State Route 16 in Kitsap County, Washington State Patrol trooper Katherine Weatherwax said in a Sunday, Dec. 4, tweet.

“How can they even see,” one person tweeted.

A photo shows the vehicle with a small snow-free spot on the windshield on the driver’s side.

Troopers said the driver was given a $553 ticket for second-degree negligent driving.

“Please take the time to remove all snow from your vehicle before you leave the house,” Weatherwax said in the tweet.

People on Twitter seemed to have a lot to say about the photo.

“Can’t believe how often I see people driving w snow still on their windows — also please people ‘Turn your headlights on — it’s dark, wet, foggy and we can’t see you!’” one person wrote.

Another Twitter user brought up the dangers of keeping chunks of snow on a vehicle.

“Can’t tell you how many snow and ice missiles from other cars hit our car and windshield on the 16 last Saturday. People are too LAZY to remove the snow from their vehicles.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dri...-snow-183647372.html

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I remember when living in New Jersey over 23 years ago cars driving down the highway with snow covered roofs.
At some point the snow starts to melt and the entire section covering the roof would let go either crashing into the ground or another car.
It was even worse when the snow would come off, in sheets the roofs of tractor trailer trailers.
I think New Jersey made a law that required you to remove the snow before you were aloud to drive your car.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I see lazy assholes do that all the time around here in the winter. One small porthole in the front and one in the back, they're too lazy to sweep or push the snow off their car.

Then it goes through a couple thaw/freeze cycles and turns into a giant sheet of ice which then flies off their car going down the highway and into traffic. Red Face

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
<<Pic removed to avoid duplication with later post>>

Kinda amazing the driver could figure out the cop wanted him to stop, let alone find a safe place to do so. Eek

But, hey, I'm sure it saved 30 seconds scraping time getting going....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the driver was driving erratically and told the trooper that pulled them over that their windshield wipers weren't working.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Jeez.. Just pour some hot water over it next time.

I had to do that with my Land Cruiser during one ice storm.
The heater core popped and has been by-passed.
Still have the mid heater and just used it.
That worked till I hit the defrost to clear the fog and didn't think about the A/C kicking on.
Nice cold R-12 hit it and froze it inside and out.
Had to hold a hand warmer against the windshield to thaw a hole to see so I could get off the road.
The AC is unhooked for winter driving now.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

No matter the reason, you may want to avoid hot water on a frozen windshield, eh? Wink

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2014 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

No matter the reason, you may want to avoid hot water on a frozen windshield, eh? Wink

Amazingly, I got away w/ that once or twice in highschool. But that was a '72 Valiant. Maybe they don't make windshields like that anymore.

Posts: 7373 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sno-Brum. In some things, size does matter!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Yea NJ makes you clear it all off. Headlights on when windshield wipers are on as well.

I believe Christie Wittman was governor when the law was passed. I think it was mainly for trucks to have their trailers cleared of snow. we all know how ad it is when a trailer looses the ice and snow from the top of a trailer.

People are so lazy; how hard is it to clean off? If something in your car doesnt work, take it to a mechanic.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Driver carves out tiny hole on snow-covered windshield, WA photo shows.

I looked at the pic at the linked article and it brought back memories.
Long ago back in the hold hometown I saw exactly that. We lived on a fairly steep hill. I was coming home from work one afternoon (perhaps unwisely, driving up the snowy hill) and saw my two-houses-down neighbor coming toward me. Sure enough, he'd carved out just enough of a hole in the snow on his windshield to be able to see directly in front of him, and nothing more.

Even more frightening was that as I passed by him and glanced through that snow-hole, I saw him looking in his mirror and using an electric shaver. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I often see cars in winter with drivers clearing a little 12" circle inside their windshields while driving because they have "recirculate" on but I've never seen one pulled over.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Confused
What is this snow you guys are talking about.
It's a rainy 76* here in Houston Big Grin
Projected to just tap into the 80s this week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an SUV that came factory with heated windshield washer fluid. I was Leary the few times I used it in the cold, so far so good.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Confused
What is this snow you guys are talking about.
It's a rainy 76* here in Houston Big Grin
Projected to just tap into the 80s this week.

I've lived in Florida my whole life. A few years ago work took me to Youngstown, Ohio in February and I was very puzzled by the grill brush on the passenger's seat of my rental car. I figured it out the next morning.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
I have an SUV that came factory with heated windshield washer fluid...

What vehicle do you have? It's not a feature in my 2016 CRV (admittedly the budget model).

I've never heard of that, found this add on after a quick search:

https://mitocorp.com/product/m...ld-washer-fluid-kit/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The other day, when this was all starting, I had to go pick up my girlfriend from the airport. The number of people driving around without their lights on was incredible, but not at all unexpected. It was all mostly cars that blend in well with nasty weather. I call it rigged for silent running, because they clearly do not want to be found.

Every year, it's the same thing, over and over again. I dunno if they're recent transplants from places where snow is something on the TV, or our very own homegrown dipshits, but it never gets any better.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17006 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Fondly remember the days of scraping off a little hole with a cassette case and heading into work. It usually only took a mile or two for the defrost to take care of the rest. And the stuff on the roof? That usually slid down onto the hood the first time you hit the brakes. Ah memories... Big Grin

Nowadays I have a heated shop. Couldn't afford one of them back then.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:

I've lived in Florida my whole life. A few years ago work took me to Youngstown, Ohio in February and I was very puzzled by the grill brush on the passenger's seat of my rental car. I figured it out the next morning.

I friend of mine was born and raised in Florida. About 5-6 years ago, she would have been in her mid-30's at the time, she took a business trip up north and rented a car. She saw an item inside the car when she got in, retrieved the item and took it back inside to let the staff know someone forget something inside the vehicle. It was an ice scraper. She had never seen one before.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So a while back, like the 1970s, I worked for a dairy. No, not milking cows. But we had a small fleet of delivery trucks, like 11 or 12. I didn't matter, snow or not, the milk must get through. So we got a call that the ice sheet slid off one of the trucks and destroyed someone's windshield. They wanted us to pay.

Instead of arguing, we just gave them our insurance claims number. Later that day an adjuster called us to say they were too busy with such shit and he told them to call their own carrier. But he also said we should clean off our trucks before sending them out. We did, but it kept snowing; For those of you suggesting we clean off our trucks, how many times per day do you want us to do that? I agree once is only safety and common sense. Do you want our divers to do that a dozen times a day? On a big snow day, it may build up that often.

So here's a driving hint: on snowy days, leave extra distance between you and the guy in front. If some asshole cuts in, he deserves the ice sheet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post