SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3:43 seconds of Pure Hell The GAU-19 – US .50 Cal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3:43 seconds of Pure Hell The GAU-19 – US .50 Cal Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Watch This Electric .50 Cal Gatling Gun Shoot 2,000 Rounds Per Minute! Oh My GOD!
emmanuel
September 13, 2019
Guns
The Gatling Gun of the Future: The GAU-19 – US .50 Cal

Externally powered heavy machine gun of 0.5” caliber was developed by US-based General Electric Company during 1980s, as a possible armament for future combat helicopters and other aircrafts, such as V-22 “Osprey”.

Originally known as GECAL .50, this machine gun was derived from earlier 7,62mm M134 “Minigun” by scaling it up to accept .50BMG / 12.7mm ammunition.

Early versions of GECAL 50 were produced with 6 barrels, but production models were reduced to 3 barrels in cluster to reduce weight.

These weapons were adopted by US Army and Air forces as GAU-19/A heavy machine guns, and mounted on several types of light combat helicopters, HMMWV combat vehicles, military ships (for close in-shore defense against incoming fast surface crafts) and fast boats, used for Commando-style operations.

In 2011 General Dynamics, current manufacturer of GAU-19/A machine guns, presented the GAU-19/B version, which is noticeably lighter, and is intended mostly for airborne use on light combat helicopters.

GECAL-50 / GAU-19/A heavy machine gun is an externally powered weapon of Gatling type. It uses built-in electrical motor to rotate barrel cluster (which has three barrels) and operate feeder-delinker unit.

Bolts are cycled through cam-shaped path inside the gun housing, continuously feeding, firing and ejecting spent cases from barrels as they rotate.

Gun is fed using standard M9 disintegrating belts, same as used in Browning M2HB heavy machine gun. Since the belt links have closed loops, each cartridge is pulled out of the links by the feeder-delinker unit before presenting it to the gun for loading.

Rate of fire is controlled by electronic circuit, and can be adjusted up to 2000 rounds per minute, although GAU-19/B is limited to 1300 rounds per minute due to lighter barrels. GAU-19/A machine guns can be mounted in aircraft gun pods and flexible or fixed aircraft mounts.

Surface use includes ring-type mounts installed on the roof of the HMMWV vehicles and pedestal mounts used on naval ships and fast boats. Some types of mounts include integral ammunition containers (with typical capacity between 500 and 1500 rounds) and dedicated battery to operate the gun.

Firing controls normally include dual spade grips, attached to the gun cradle, with electric triggers and safety switches.

http://patriotnationpress.com/...NP&utm_medium=bsmail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...inue=3&v=TYMXafe60LU

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8361 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
That is good. I would think that it would be particularly useful on ships, especially in confined water ways.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll take two!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

The Gatling Gun of the Future...
...developed by US-based General Electric Company during 1980s

Gun of the "future"... 40 years ago?

I bet we have members who have fired this.

So, how long to hand reload a minute worth of firing? Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I always loved the rotary guns:

...compared to the recoil operated machine guns, though some were interesting:

I wish the -58s could've gotten the GAU-19s. Task Force has them though.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of the "Rotary Club". Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
At least for the ground vehicle mount, I'd rather have this.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Y8-EWovjgvU

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

In hours or days?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nothing to sneeze at but the 30mm GAU-8 in the A-10 is more hell-like

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23280 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
On a bit more practical level and currently for sale twin transferable C&R ANM2 50 cals in a WWII twin 50 mount for $115,000.
Honestly not a bad price, but a bit large for my safe.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Hell like would include some type of HE ammunition to my view, though I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of and M2HB or one of these fancified 3 barreled Gatling guns!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The GAU-8 was designed for a very specific purpose, to kill tanks. If it isn't chewing up a battalion of Soviet armor, it's not really being used correctly. If they have something lighter than tanks to kill, they're better off using something lighter and cheaper.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Nothing to sneeze at but the 30mm GAU-8 in the A-10 is more hell-like

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
We had Cobras with the M28 turrets containing M134's and 40mm grenade launchers that were phasing out. Primary was the M197 3-barrel 20mm on the newer aircraft mods. Got to shoot them plenty. A 20mm with HEI loaded would set things on fire that don't burn.

Wrote the weapons training for the OH-58Ds while working at Bell. Hellfire, Hydra 70, M2 (single barrel) and ATAS. Not much of a punch, but a lot better than the nothing but small arms the previous scouts had.

The Apache came along. Single barreled 30mm. Not a big fan, but it gets the job done.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
That is good. I would think that it would be particularly useful on ships, especially in confined water ways.

I get your meaning here...... Wink

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

The Gatling Gun of the Future...
...developed by US-based General Electric Company during 1980s

Gun of the "future"... 40 years ago?

I bet we have members who have fired this.

You know I didn't write the article, right? I think the point was the 50 cal version not the technology.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8361 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I worked on the CWIS, a 20 mm rotary gun....they are just incredible the amount of fie that can be poured out of them is a thing to be seen. The only drawback was the time it took to reload the system.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I worked on the CWIS, a 20 mm rotary gun....they are just incredible the amount of fie that can be poured out of them is a thing to be seen. The only drawback was the time it took to reload the system.

I used to love a good CIWS shoot! even inside the skin of the ship, that thing would rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
The GAU 19 was a lessons learned out of Granada. The M60D the Blackhawks carried were not able to suppress enemy ground fire effectively. The rotor guys wanted more suppression and the GAU 19 was the result. Unfortunately it is a trade off due to weight with the mount and ammo. The M3 the Marines carry on the CH 54 is called the Fast 50 due the rate of fire being over 1000 rds per minutes. They have battle boxes they can stack in 600 round increments.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'm a member of the "Rotary Club". Big Grin

Same here!

F-18 Strafing Run

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
I joined the rotary club in '71 at Ft Bliss/White Sands, Good Times.

<p>[URL=https://giphy.com/gifs/m134-delinker-minigun-mechanicalgifs-X7fouFTbAAkA9nuG8l]via GIPHY[/URL]</p>

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post