SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can y'all tell me about Franklin, TN?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can y'all tell me about Franklin, TN? Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
Heading over to see the battle grounds.

I'll be there for a couple of days.

Places to eat? No need for fancy, just good!

Thanks

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking you should be able to find out where Franklin had at one time considered being its own country. This was before it was part of Tennessee and made its way to statehood.

I had read something like that, but can't remember how it went.

Texas and Vermont had successfully taken this route also.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merridee's on the square. Breakfast and lunch.
Puckett's on the square. Dinner. Live music most nights.
I'm over in Murfreesboro.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a nice area, upscale like Fairhope, Alabama. Walkable area, 21 miles from Nashville.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If you are that close do "The Bridge" ~10 mile NW of Franklin on/over Hwy 96... from there, north to the upper end of the Natchez Trace (do not speed, doubled fines) and try the Loveless Cafe. Map and directions at the link...
Cafe

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/789GiRsR05Q

EDIT to add:
There are two good pull offs for stopping at the bridge. One at the base of the bridge just off 96 on the ramp going up to the Trace... And one at the north end of the bridge up top on the Trace. Unfortunately the overlook at the top is getting pretty overgrown, blocking a lot of the view.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearby Leiper's Fork, is an upscale community that has a handful of places to shop and eat at. There's a bunch of antique shops and Picket's Grocery is a solid place to eat. The surrounding properties are home to a number of musicians and celebrities.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Thinking you should be able to find out where Franklin had at one time considered being its own country. This was before it was part of Tennessee and made its way to statehood.

I had read something like that, but can't remember how it went.

Texas and Vermont had successfully taken this route also.

Franklin, TN is a city approximately 35 miles south of Nashville and site of a famous battle in Civil War.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin,_Tennessee

The “State of Franklin” is in northeastern portion of today’s Tennessee. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

Two different geographic locations.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice town, but a bad place to visit if you're a Confederate General.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not Cracker Barrel. I’ve never seen a limited menu Cracker Barrel until that one.

Try Pucketts

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Franklin’s a nice place. On my short list of places to live.

Have lunch at the Bunganut Pig after you you tour the Carter House.

Make sure you stop at Carnton Plantation to see the cemetery and the bloodstains on the upstairs floorboards (it was a hospital after the battle).

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8809 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Not the quaint little town it used to be.

Basically a suburb of Nashville now....way too much traffic.

The civil war history there though is exceptional. Go see Carnton Plantation and take a living, walking battle tour of franklin. Lots of battle damage still visible.

Battle of franklin was fought in November...it’ll still feel like November if you visit soon.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Puckett's is good country cooking. Red Pony and Cork&Cow are very good, higher end restaurants.

The building under construction on Main Street at the river is mine. Almost finished. If you need a place to stay, the new Hilton in Cool Springs at Meridien is also ours and is very nice.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too far from Franklin is the original Martin's BBQ in Nolensville. Some of the best BBQ in this area.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post