SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Still using Win7, support ends in January. Win10?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still using Win7, support ends in January. Win10? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Microsoft us pushing win10, get a new computer. I don't see myself getting a new machine, so any experience moving over to 10 from 7? All files are backed up daily. Any tips to make the move seamlessly?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I was essentially forced to move to win10. I hate it. To the point that I have considered getting an apple system.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Although I would eventually like to upgrade my machine to something newer, I'm not quite ready for that expense. So I went ahead and upgraded to Win10. It's still free from the Microsoft Support website. I had done a Google search on it and found a video that walks you through the initial screens and shows you what to expect. I just did the straight over upgrade - no customizations. It went through seamlessly; no problems whatsoever. It was confusing at first since things are not where you used to find them but after using it for a month or so, I have adjusted well enough.

Here is the video I used to make the switch:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNL-pvvXH4

Posts: 564 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I was recently issued a new work laptop with Windows 10. It's not as bad as I expected and I do like that the initial boot up is much quicker than my Windows 7 units.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I was essentially forced to move to win10. I hate it. To the point that I have considered getting an apple system.

There's never a bad reason to get an Apple system.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I did the change from 7 to 10. It was a seamless process, as has been said you have new locations for things you were used to being in a certain location. What I haven’t been as impressed with is Edge, I was using IE and finally decided to try it, I got used to it, however about three weeks ago it started giving me trouble, the CPU was running constantly, websites were taking long to load and sometimes it would just disconnect from my homepage. Apparently it was an issue with the latest update from Microsoft and they (allegedly) issued a patch yesterday. We’ll see, for now I’ll use IE and try Edge again in another day or so.

Posts: 12184 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've Win7 Pro on a fairly old Dell desktop. That'll be replaced with either new hardware I put together, myself, and loaded with Linux, or with an Apple Mac.

I've Win7 Pro as one of the boots on the laptop my employer gifted me when I retired. I'll just leave it. I almost never boot into it, so it really doesn't much matter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. I use Win10 at work but still have Win7 Pro on my old laptop at home. I need to do a new backup on that and then try and run the upgrade. Like, soon, I guess. Switching back and forth between them is a little jarring, having to remember where things are in both. But I've come to like Win10 for the most part.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using Win10 at home and work since it came out. Hate the "tiles" in Win10, but this basically makes the desktop look like Win7 - the stability and speed of WIN10 is good for me

https://www.fosshub.com/Classi...ShellSetup_4_3_1.exe

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Win10 is rock solid and a good upgrade. It will take a little getting used to the interface as it has changed from Win7. There is always a possibility that old peripherals will not work with Win10 due to lack of driver support.

Don't use Edge. Use Chrome or Firefox instead. Edge is being phased out by Microsoft for a Chrome engine based browser that is coming soon.

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I bet some are still using XP.
W7 will still be functional for a while.
It depends on your use now.
The reason for keeping may include old hardware.
New hardware fares much better (even req'd) on W10.
As your devices and software ages or use increases then it's time to upgrade both the hardware + W10 = new computer.
FWIW, I generally resist any in place upgrade of W7 to W10, but there are exceptions.
Otherwise no real reason to panic.
But W7 has passed but still depends on your use.
YMMV

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've done both: Upgrade from 7 to 10 & a fresh 10 install.

My main issue with the 7 > 10 upgrade, was that it held the Win7 rollback on the HDD & took up a decent amount of space on the quite small SSD I had in this computer.

Upgraded to a larger SSD & installed Win10 from scratch.

I was the first Win10 install (guinea pig) in our office. Same with moving off of Office 13.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I've never been a Windows fan. I'm all Mac at home. But for work, I'm on 10 and it's an excellent OS. I suspect most folks are just experiencing the (very real) pain of change. At work we're replacing as many as make sense, but we're still upgrading hundreds of machines with good results.

I would not update a machine unless you feel your hardware is pretty modern. Perhaps an i5 and 16GB of RAM. An SSD is table stakes for me, but others may feel differently.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
make sure your hardware is compatable with win10
the box I wanted to upgrade didn't have a fast enough processor and the upgrade didn't work, it wouldn't install it just hung up the machine and sat there with the spinning windows wheel of death.

It did install win 8 without a problem,

There are several bugs with windows 10, one is that it will reset default programs at random.

In the case of PDF we set the default program to Acrobat Reader, and Win10 will check those defaults and re-select MS Edge, it used to do it occasionally, now it does it all day long, it's a PIA with no solution, been that way for a while.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Microsoft us pushing win10, get a new computer. I don't see myself getting a new machine, so any experience moving over to 10 from 7? All files are backed up daily. Any tips to make the move seamlessly?

What do you use the machine for? If it's just light duty web browsing and e-mail, you may consider Ubuntu. It's way better than it used to be in terms of user friendliness.

On the other hand, Ubuntu won't run turbo tax and many of the other popular software packages.

So it would help to know what the machine is used for.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 small form dell optiplex (3010 + 7010) with fresh win10.

the 2nd day i hated win10 but by the 2nd day learned/located/how to do what i'd been doing with win7.

as has been said, much faster boot/shutdown.

i still have one xppro sp3 machine with hp, single sheet sczi/pci scanner.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of Dell Latitude Win7 laptops that work fine but I no longer use them. I've switched to chromebooks. What are the Win7 machines good for now and are they worth anything?

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
When Win10 came out I was still using XP on one of my computers. Was still using it up to about two years ago with no problems. Way past the end-of-support date.

I imagine that I will be able to use Win7 for quite a few years beyond the upcoming end-of-support date.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 is actually not that bad once you strip out a lot of the BS.

I clear the start menu completely and start over with large and medium size tiles of everything I use on a daily basis and make that my app "launcher" instead of having a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop.

Once you get used to it, having icons on the desktop you go to feels clunky and antiquated now.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I bet some are still using XP.

I still have XP on a machine so I can use Outlook Express. Still the best program for me to quickly move between 4 different email "identities".

I'm might buy one of those golfball box sized refurbs with 10Pro on it and migrate stuff to it instead of a backup and 7->10 transition on what's already an old machine.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3451 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post