SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insuring your firearms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insuring your firearms Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I recently realized that I have (at least to me) a good deal of money wrapped up in guns. I'm not really a "collector"...all of my guns are shooters, and I don't own any one specific gun that has enormous value...but the value of the total has kinda crept up there. It dawned on me that should I have some major loss, like a house fire or a burglary, the $1000 firearms limit on my homeowner's policy would come nowhere close to making me whole.

I called my state farm agent, and I don't think she really understood what I was looking for. She quoted me a personal articles policy that would have required receipts for each gun and appraisals, and the premium was much higher than I expected. I ended up talking with my brother about it (he used to be an adjuster), and he told me to call her back and explain that I'm not looking for that level of coverage on each individual item, I just wanted to up my limits to cover major loss.

So I called her back and clarified what I was looking for, and she was able to up the firearms coverage of my homeowner's policy to $5000 for a very reasonable premium increase, but told me that is as high as they could go. It's better, but nowhere near what I need.

What other options do I have to bridge that gap? Like I said, I'm not really a collector, and I don't have a bunch of high-end guns that I'm trying to insure. Nor am I trying to insure against damage caused by use. If I break one I'll fix it or dispose of it. If I were to lose a gun in a boating accident or some such scenario, I'd eat the cost of my own stupidity...I'm not looking for that kind of coverage. I simply want to protect myself from a massive loss event like a house fire or somebody breaking in when I'm on vacation and cleaning me out.

I imagine quite a few here may have experience in this area...any input would be appreciated!

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Collectibles (Collect Insure), and Eastern Insurance both provide coverage at a reasonable price.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Historical firearms ins (Eastern)
40k coverage of all guns & related shooting stuff. Scopes, reloading stuff, bags, rest .... You don't have to itemize anything under a 10k item.
Under 150 a year.
Beats NRA insurance ...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might ask state farm if their inland marine policy (for tools and equipment), would cover firearms?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Collectibles, ArmsCare Or the third one mentioned above are what you seek. I use Collectibles for my business... I’m a Class III, FFL. No itemizing and much less than upping your homeowners.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using Core Vens for years. I have never had to make a claim but I am happy with the coverage and the rates, and there is no hassle.
https://corevensguninsurance.com/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
In may homeowners policies, the monetary limitations of $1000, $2500, or whatever, on guns is a theft limitation. Those policies cover guns up to the contents limits for fires. Make sure you read your present policy to make sure what the limitation applies to so you know what sort of coverage you want to buy.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have mine through the NRA.... I think how it works is the NRA covers the first 500 or 1000 (deductible) and then the insurance carrier coves the rest depending on the amount you request. They don't ask for a listing or anything as long as you don't have something you or they consider 'collectable'.

NRA uses Lockton Risk Services.... and I pay just over $300 for I think 16K coverage...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I have StateFarm and have a personal property policy just for my guns. I added about 10 last year, and all I had to do was provide my agent with make, model, caliber, serial number and replacement cost. I am sitting at $15k right now, and if I remember correctly a $17 a month premium.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the NRA (Lockton) insurance program described by Blume9mm above. They do not require a list of items. I would be very uncomfortable about submitting a list of specific models and serial numbers and wondering where all this information actually ended up and who had access to it. With NRA, (Lockton) you can select any coverage of insurance and pay accordingly and it is reasonable.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Collectibles (Collect Insure), and Eastern Insurance both provide coverage at a reasonable price.

I have a $30K+ policy for $200-something annually with Collectibles. I’m a fan.

The policy covers knives, firearms and anything strapped to the firearm like optics and WMLs.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post