SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New watch question - help needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New watch question - help needed Login/Join 
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted
I find myself entering the watch rabbit hole. I currently have two watches and both of them are Luminox. The 4221 is my boat, field, and casual watch. I also have the 1844 Atacama chrono which I've deemed to be my nice watch. Both are in the $300 - $500 range.

I was looking to get into a nicer watch and go with an auto or eco-drive so I started looking at the Citizen Octavia - Citizen Octavia and the Luminox modern mariner 6502 - Luminox. I know one is a chrono and the other day/date but to me both look very clean and sharp.

Now my perusing has brought me to the Ball Skindiver II - Ball and the new Oris Aquis Hammerhead - Oris. So I need to guidance here since this is new territory. Are Citizen and Luminox both considered to be the same in the entry - intermediate level? Are Ball and Oris comparable in the upper intermediate - lower high class?

I really like lume in my watches all of them have it at some level with the Citizen Octavia having the least. For those watches that have a rubber and stainless bracelet, I would get both options to have so that's not a factor. I have friend who have Breitlings and I know about the expensive service visits. Are Ball and Oris expensive when it comes time to service? I do not have a local jeweler who carries Oris so I would have to take a drive to Orlando to check out the Hammerhead.

So what things should I consider? What are the big differences between a $1,000 watch and a $2,000+ watch?

Posts: 1316 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I believe Dave is a certified dealer in all those except maybe the Oris. He'd have your answers.

If you're looking at ecodrive, Citizen is your obvious answer. Their lume isn't the best, but it's not the worst, either.

What do you really want? You don't seem clear on that.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I can't address all your questions, as I've just gotten into the watch thing over the last few years so am still learning, but of the watches you mention, I would suggest Oris is the best bang for your buck. Its Swiss origin (and I believe this one has an in-house movement), its 2000 limitation (which may or may not help hold its value), the aesthetics of the Oris diver (and the beautiful sunburst gray of this model) and the general reputation of the brand on forums like WUS, even the reported impressive heft and solidity of the bracelet...all these things make it certainly the one I'd pick up. In fact, I do hope to have an Oris diver someday...Oris produced a Aquis gradient blue that's just stunning.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Out of the few you posted links to, I think the Oris is a very handsome looking watch imo.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was unaware Dave dealt with Ball. I do have an email in with him regarding the Luminox and Citizen.

While these watches still are considered divers or sporty, this will be treated as a nice weekend watch or office watch. I have the 4221 for the field and boat.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Ball is a leap above Luminox, a whole different category of watches. If you like lum, you will be delighted with a Ball.

You will be amazed at the savings you can get on one from David.

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:

So what things should I consider? What are the big differences between a $1,000 watch and a $2,000+ watch?

At the 1-2k range every watch is going to at the very least tell the time decently. You can find watches in that range with additional complications (functions) or nicer finishing. The Ball has a cleaned up ETA 2824-2, not a bad movement by any means but it's in a lot of watches, the Oris and the luninox have a Sellita SW 220-1 which itself is a modified ETA 2824. With that in mind mechanically they are all effectively the same with different looks. I'd not but the Octavia as it's a quartz watch which keeps time just great but I personally think they lack feeling of a mechanical watch.

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Of the brands you listed, I would go with the Oris. You may want to look at Steinhart . They offer a very nice Swiss made watch at a great price. Some people don't like their homage watches but they also offer a large number of their own designs. I picked up an Ocean One after my Rolex Sub was stolen and have been very pleased. I would suggest you take a look at them.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So just found out a little more about the Oris Hammerhead. It's a pre-order that's supposed to come out in July for $2,700. A little pricier than originally thought.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Are you aware that the Oris is 45.5 MM in diameter? Not YUUUGGGEE in today's watch world, but pretty large and big means heavy and sometimes uncomfortable.

It is a beautiful watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those mid-priced watches often have the same or similar movements. No one advertising Swiss watches is making their own movement at that price (unless it is an ETA subsidiary making the case, too), so they are all using ETA or similar movements. Some may have Miyota (Citizen) movements, but many like to advertise a Swiss movement, and ETA is the king of factory-made Swiss movements.

Think of ETA like General Motors. They make Cadillacs and they make Chevrolets. ETA has higher end brands like Omega and less fancy watches like Swatch. They sell movements to lots of watch companies, the same as GM sells engines to others.

As someone said, the movements at that price are all pretty good. Some will tweak the basic movement, and others do not. Pick the look you like.

When you get into over $4000 watches, you will begin to see better movements. ETA's brands like Omega will use better ETA movements, and movements made only for Omega. Rolex uses Rolex movements, and doesn't sell them to anyone else. There are others in those higher price categories, too.

Seiko and Citizen are always worth a look. Each makes cheap (but very serviceable) watches, and each makes some high end watches. I'd say that a Seiko or Citizen in the $500 to $1000 price range will be the equivalent in many ways (and better in some ways) to a considerably more expensive watch from a company like Oris, Hamilton, or Ball. Americans think Seiko makes only inexpensive watches. It is not true.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
There are a few Oris watches that I really like, but out of my budget at the moment (really want one of the limited edition Oris Vatteri Bottas watches).
My current daily wear is a Citizen Satellite Wave from our own Dave Truong. Haven't worn my Movado in months since I got the Citizen.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch some 555gear videos on youtube. He does an excellent job of explaining the differences between a $50, $500 and $5000 watch as well as videos breaking down a lot of what you are paying for in higher end watches.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I have several Citizens, my two main ones are both radio controlled. One is a "dress watch" and the other my work watch. Radio controlled and eco drive means you never have to reset them unless you travel to another time zone.

Both have dual time modes. The dress watch has the four contiguous time zones, the work watch has 24 time zones.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a new sport watch I would look at Ball and the skindiver is a good looking classic design. And Dave carries it....slam dunk

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Not sure what to tell you other than you may want to go start looking at and trying on watches.
You sound like you have some idea what you may want but by going to look and try some different style watches you may change your mind.
You have to ask your self several things like type of movement,style,case material,band and how much do you want to spend.
There are many good watch companies out there that you may not of heard of. You could go to the watchuseek forum or the Rolex forum to find more information.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
As others have stated no one in your price range makes their own movement. My advice is don't get wrapped up in what's know as the WIS (watch idiot savant) thing. Unless you're either a collector or a fan of a specific brand, the differences in the $1k to $2k watch movements aren't enough to get lost in.

One exception to this is the Ball watch you're interested in. I've had conversations with several high end dealers and they all said they thought Ball was underpriced for the level of technology they deliver. Dave Turong is a Ball dealer and his Sig Forum prices beat every other legit dealer on the internet.

I have two Citizens and an Omega. My opinion is Citizen and Seiko deliver a lot of watch for the money, buy my Omega is just in a class by itself. I did pay for the name, but the Seamaster chronograph is my grail watch, so it was buy once cry once for me.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Ball has a pre-order on the Roadmaster GMT, a friend just ordered one. He wanted lume and a less dressy watch. I contacted David but it's only available direct from Ball. Something to take a look at, a very good PO price.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to look at Aquadive. They have new old stock at a reasonable price. They use high quality internal swiss made parts.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of the Seamaster and prefer it over the Planet Ocean. I was browsing used ones as new ones are outside the budget. However, at 41mm I'd be worried that it might be a tad small for me.