SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is your Google Fu? Persons knighted in England
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is your Google Fu? Persons knighted in England Login/Join 
Picture of skywag
posted
I have a friend (sir Harry Garner RIP) who was knighted by King George, I think. He was England's chief scientist in WW2. I gave him an airplane ride in my Super Cub.

But I cannot find a list of persons knighted by kings and......do queens knight people?

Anyway, I am SURE that such lists MUST exist. But where?

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:

Anyway, I am SURE that such lists MUST exist. But where?

England, perhaps?

List of Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...f_the_British_Empire

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I cannot find a list of persons knighted by kings and......do queens knight people?

They sure do. Given the length of her reign, I bet QEII knighted more people than all four of the kings going back until Queen Victoria combined!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
This might be worth a try:

Honours List archive

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
In what year did Sir Harry Garner pass away? If it was 1977, Sir Harry Garner was the last person knighted by King George VI.

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sir Elton John only knew one Monarch in his adult life so he must have been knighted by QEII.

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Sir Elton John only knew one Monarch in his adult life so he must have been knighted by QEII.

Everyone who was knighted from February 1952 through September 2022 was knighted by QEII. So that's nearly all living knights.

On occasion the actual investiture ceremony (with the kneeling the sword dubbing) has been performed by another high-ranking member of the royal family deputized to stand in for the Queen, but the honor itself was still bestowed by the Queen since the monarch has the sole ability to confer knighthood.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Seems like my Google-FU is just as bad as everyone else's. It seems so strange that there is no list. My father took the picture and I published it in Wiki.......of Sir Harry and Lady Garner.

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
This guy? Sir Harry Garner

He was made CB in 1948 in the King's birthday honours list, and was knighted in 1951, the last person knighted by by King George VI.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Pyker................Thanks.

I am looking for a list of ALL the persons knighted by King George and others.

A list..............it must exist

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pyker................Thanks.

I am looking for a list of ALL the persons knighted by King George and others.

A list..............it must exist

Here you go:

List of those knighted (and others) from 1940 - 2022 and 1860 - 1939

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
bump for the OP

Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pyker

Still no a LIST. One could spend years going through those orders in able to compile a list.

I am still amazed there is no such thing.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
One could spend years going through those orders in able to compile a list

Which is why The Gazette is what they use. People 'who need to know' probably already know, others can search by name or 'order'.

I'm willing to bet that The Palace have a list broken down into different parts as to the individual orders and the various levels of chivalry. I would also expect the Roll of The Peerage and other records held by The College of Arms to be complete, although again, a search by name would be required if you didn't want to read all the way through them.