SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need ideas for an ultra-fine 5-gal bucket filter…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need ideas for an ultra-fine 5-gal bucket filter… Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I need to rig something, preferably for a 5-gal bucket, that will filter down to 10-15 microns. (I did say ultra-fine.)

The finest purpose-built 5-gal. bucket filters I can find on Amazon go down to 25 microns, which is apparently better than professional painters need, but too big for my purposes.

I found a bio-diesel supplier who will fabricate a 15 micron filter, but they’d charge me $150+ for it. Didn’t want to pay that much. Is it just that the fabric is that expensive when it gets super fine like that?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We have a ceramic filter that renders water safe to drink. Is that what you want the filter for? If so, look them up on an emergency preparedness site.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A simple search for 15 micron bulk screen yielded plenty of results.
Try it. Confused

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Possibly a paint strainer bag or a brewing bag. Otherwise McMaster will have something.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What are you filtering? Wix had 10 micron spin on hydraulic fluid filters. Racor make the same for diesel fuel. All you’d have to do is source the plate the filter would screw onto and the plumbing.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Buy a Berkey filter and make the homemade Berkey set up?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Look at the Sawyer Mini. Sets up in 5 gal bucket and filters to 0.1 micron.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Needing extra cash, Heisenberg?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I will second the Sawyer. They make a bucket system for them.

https://www.earthwateralliance...bly-and-maintenance/

Many non-profits and aid organizations have used these systems or similar setups with Sawyer.

The filter can be backwashed in less than a minute to clean out what the filter has stopped.

While I've never used them with a bucket I have used them in a few different configurations on backpacking trips. I like the regular model as it flows more water but have used the mini many times also.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Okay, so context will help here. Mrs.BurtonRW enjoys tumbling rocks. Tumbling rocks involves grit. Lots of grit. Down to 500 or better. Not sure about the QC on these grit suppliers, but ANSI says that's 13.9 microns.

Problem is twofold. 1) Our utility sink is below grade, and that slurry would bring the pump to a grinding halt rather quickly. 2) You shouldn't pour that crap into the sewers anyway.

We can dispose of the grit, but I was looking for an efficient way to separate the water and it seemed that a couple of 5 gal. buckets would do the trick if I could find the right filter setup.

Thanks for the leads, guys.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Put a sediment trap on the sink

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Here’s your answer… All you’ll have to do is to rig up a holder. Should be easy.

https://shop.prmfiltration.com.../products/bfpe10p2sx

This one is stated for filtering a mud slurry but it doesn’t say what size..

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic...Slurry/dp/B0BV6Z4HXJ

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We use some kind of fairly fine filter for the water tower, at work. They are a bit expensive/are also meant to resist a decent amount of pressure.

Posts: 5726 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to reuse the grit or just separate the grit from the water? How many gallons and how often?

I’m thinking dump it into a kiddie pool and let the water evaporate. If you aren’t trying to reuse the grit, put it on the lawn or water the shrubs with it.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
an efficient way to separate the water

As another approach, maybe put the grit/water slurry outside in the sun in a flat tray and let evaporation do the heavy lifting?

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The little rock tumbling our kids did showed that the grit will settle out on its own. Then pour off the water and the grit goes out in the trash. I don’t remember how long it took.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of rock tumbling, I just wash the rocks in a colander, into a 5 gal pail. Every once in a while I pour the water off and dump the sludge in the garbage. Some people try to save their polishing grits, I'm not one of them.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post