SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    International health insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International health insurance Login/Join 
Picture of katndog
posted
My partner and I brought a small house in Ireland. We live in the US. I am not near retirement. The plan is to use this as a vacation house. Wondering is anyone knows about international health insurance and if it'd make sense/be possible for us to get health insurance in Ireland without being a citizen

Posts: 2635 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Does your domestic policy not cover you over there?

I would have to pay out of pocket, but my insurance company will reimburse me (supposedly).

Posts: 20240 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
interesting. I don't think our insurance would cover international care, but I will check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 2635 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
If you are staying less than 90 days at a time I think medical travel insurance might be the cheapest option. I know in Germany if you are older medical insurance can run $800 and higher per month if you are a foreign resident there and it is required if you reside there.

Posts: 3636 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to move your residence to Ireland I have a good contact for that.

Posts: 5797 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would imagine it may vary by country. But when I was often in France on business I had no trouble finding a supplemental policy to cover my time there. In actuality the local gov't coverage would have been provided for me, but anyone with a brain bought their way into coverage that allowed you to go to a the higher priced 'American' system.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11060 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Look into Christian Healthcare Ministry and other similar groups. We get our coverage through them as we are retired but too young for Medicare.

Chministries.com

It isn't insurance but amounts to the same thing pretty much. It does cover us anywhere in the world. We pay (or set up a payment plan) with the provider, then send receipts in to CHM for reimbursement.

There's no in or out of network. Just a $1000 deductible per event. So we pay out of pocket for all the normal minor stuff, but have good coverage for the rare expensive stuff.

They do have a 2 yr exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

We pay about $275 per person per month for no-limits coverage.

Posts: 9587 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thank you. I've got some homework to do Smile