SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So how fast was the cop going to do what he did?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So how fast was the cop going to do what he did? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Slow down or come to a complete stop? That's 2 miles per minute. I'd have to assume a lot more than just two minutes passed from the time the officer initiated the pursuit to its end.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

And who knew an 18 year old (ok, maybe 17) Nissan could still go that fast? Most average cars are driven what, 12,000 or so a year? Comes out to over 200,000, meaning who knows the running condition of the suspension and steering.

If a 1971 C 10 pickup, with a six cylinder engine, 10 years old by the time the event occurred, could be driven at 100+ MPH, then I have no problem believing that the aforementioned Nissan could be capable of the speed in question.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This isn't likely a "pursuit" within the framework of most law enforcement "pursuit" policies. This is the very common act of catching up to a speeding car. My question to those that refer to the officer as stupid is what would you have them do? Ignore it? A lot of people will pull up the typical "outrun the radio" comments, but on rural interstate the next officer might be twenty miles away and not on the interstate in the first place. When people talk about not being able to outrun the radio, they fail to account for the fact that you'll have to chase them long enough for the next guy to pick them up and he'll have to chase them until the next guy picks them up. And on and on until they stop, are forced to stop, or crash. Hell, at 118 mph reading the plate as it goes by even is extremely unlikely.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
In a heavy heavy fog, I caught a driver going about 60mph in a 55 zone. I only felt comfortable driving about 30mph while on patrol and he received a summons for reckless driving, specific instance- driving too fast for conditions.

His attorney asked me, if you felt driving that fast, under those conditions, was so reckless, why did you pursue him?

The judge stopped the attorney and said to continue allowing your client to speed under those conditions would have been a dereliction of duty.

The driver was found guilty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I will not relay any stories that may or may not have happened to me when i was a young and dumb teenager...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post