SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you were going to buy a truck to haul a camper/toy hauler what would you look for?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to buy a truck to haul a camper/toy hauler what would you look for? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Just doing a little research and getting opinions here.

If you were looking for a truck to haul a camper/toy hauler, gross say 12,000-18000 pounds. Not a lot of mileage annually, probably less than 10,000 total, maybe a lot less.

My initial thoughts are a big gas V8 as I don't see a diesel penciling out between the initial cost and the maintenance. Also looking at a 1 ton chassis minimum.

Don't know at this point if it'd be a bumper pull or a 5th wheel, but I'd certainly look hard at 5th wheels.

So. Brand? Model? Engine? Dually or SRW?

Used? If so, what year(s)?

At what point would you consider mileage on a truck to be too high?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

You're going to need to look at the towing guides each manufacturer puts out. I can tell you that the 2015 Ford 1 ton SRW gas motor topped out at about 12,000 lbs which is why I went with the diesel which topped out at about 15,500 lbs. The dually gas motor with 4.30 gearing topped out at about 15,000 lbs.

With my truck and trailer pictured above, I'm running into the GVWR, GCWR, and payload ratings of the truck. The trailer weighs 14,500 with what we put in it and the truck is 11,200 with the pin weight of the trailer. Both together weigh 23,300 lbs. The 2017 and newer 1 ton SRW have significantly more payload and GCWR. I believe the GCWR of the SRW F350 diesel is about 28,000 pounds and 5th wheel is close to 20,000 lbs. However, these may be out of your budget.

My suggestion is get an older dually.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What would I look for? A great big money tree. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find the trailer you want, then get the truck to pull it.

12k trailer, I’d guess your looking at a 3500 series truck, 18k you are looking at a DRW diesel.

Lots of numbers to look at IRT the truck, not just towing capacity, and most older trucks are rated based upon a bottom line pickup, all those options add weight, and take away from towing capacity.

Rear axle capacity, as well as GVWR (truck weight) are important. Toy haulers tend to have heavy pin/tongue weights, which means you need a truck with a high GVWR, in addition to the GCVWR (basically truck and trailer).

BL: lots of research, look at all the numbers for the truck, not just “tow” rating.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
What would I look for? A great big money tree. Smile

Shake it! Shake it! Shake shake shake! Yeah!

Chevy's 496 is the big ol' gas powered V8 you may be looking for, but there could be a V10 in your new F450.

If you reconsider taking the Diesel route, The Ram HO Cummins has 1,000 foot pounds of torque in case you want to move your real house or any disabled locomotives.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Diesel dually with a fifth wheel/gooseneck.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, the toy haulers tend to have heavier pin weights. However, when you load up the back of the toy hauler, the pin weight is reduced.

I agree with pick the trailer first, then find a truck to haul it.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

This type should be adequate

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Stay in first class hotels instead. Wink
In the long run it will be a lot cheaper.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Agree on find the truck after you find the trailer. Then, look at the numbers. Manufacturer's charts. Also, DRW (dually) gives you added stability for towing. I know, extra size and more tires to replace, but safety is the overriding consideration.

I'm going through this process now too. I have the trailer, but I have time as I don't need to move it for at least a year. I'm looking at Ford or Dodge. If you look at Ford, do your research on the engines/ model year. Some suck.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't have full details, but my mom had a triple axle 5th wheel Gearbox & towed it with an 07 F350 PSD SRW.

Never had a problem towing it in Utah, Nevada & the surrounding areas.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Diesel dually with a fifth wheel/gooseneck.

THIS. I'd want the diesel for the torque over the gas engine and durability.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
seems like a natural MXT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyXOvaH9b2k

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Stay in first class hotels instead. Wink
In the long run it will be a lot cheaper.

But then you wouldn't have the FREEDOM to watch the setup depreciate in your back yard! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We went from this (26', 7,500lbs loaded)

to this (31', 10,000lbs loaded)

To this (40', 15,000lbs loaded)

To this (new GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Diesel)

The 2002 GMC had the 8.1l/Allison combo with a 4:10 rear end. That truck worked great with the first two toy haulers. Going from 10,000lbs to 15,000lbs put a strain on the truck. It was a 3/4 ton so the pin was a bit heavy and the the truck was looking for lower gears on the slightest incline. The 8.1' sucks as far as gas mileage was concerned. It got 11mpg on average and 6.5 - 7mpg towing.

The new Duramax is a dream towing the 15,000lb toy hauler. It's almost boring compared to the 2002 as the damn thing just chugs along like the trailer is nothing. empty, the truck gets close to 20mpg on the highway, 15 around town and 10mpg towing. I'll find out this summer how it does in the Colorado Rockies. I'm sure the MPG will drop a bit.

If you are looking at a trailer under 12,000lbs, a gasser may work as it does not have the high maintenance of the diesel. Anything over 12,000 is diesel territory.

If you don't like the idea of dropping $65k on a new truck, look at rebuilding a 2007 model. The torque may not be as much as the newer models but you get around all the high maintenance emissions the trucks have on them now. If I wasn't so damn impatient, I would have gone that route.

Good luck in your search.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
The numbers may not pencil out with the diesel but you should add 1 million dollars to the diesel side for piece of mind. It is very nice driving comfortably down the highway.

Most people I know head to the mountains to recreate outside. It is sooo nice being able to make it up the mountain in a relaxed manner.

I'm amazed at some of the bumper pull toy haulers I see headed down the road. There is no way I would pull that much on a bumper hitch. 5th wheels handle so much better and (I don't advocate this) with a 5th wheel in many states people can ride in the trailer if desired. This came in handy when my wife got really sick on a trip. She put some earplugs in and slept the entire way home.

Not a big fan of dually's. Tires are crap, they reduce the amount you can tow, and if you decide to go in to town they can be a PITA in small towns.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have been towing different RV's for about 25+ years. I went from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel at one time. When I bought the 5th wheel I had a new Dodge 2500 HD with the 5.7 gasser. I move up to a new Diesel about 2 years later and what a night and day difference. I'm now back to towing a 31' travel trailer with a Silverado 1500. It does the job with a good hitch set up but I do miss the diesel. Knowing what I now know from experience, you can never have a big enough tow vehicle. If I could afford a new dually diesel, that is what I would buy. Just in the dual wheels it gives you the piece of mind. SRW is very good, but the dually is better IMO. If you buy used in a diesel, 100,000 miles on it is not a big deal. Reading your posts over the years I know you will know what is good and what is worn out. Good luck.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

This is not for me, but someone asked me and I respect the experience and opinions here.

Personally, I'm in the "spend your money on hotel rooms" crowd.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I towed my 38' DRV Elite Suite 5th wheel with an International 4700 Crew Cab. Happy until diesel hit $4. 4 X 100 gallons was no fun.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any of the Cummins diesels trucks are excellent, but 2014 and later would be very excellent. 6.7 Ford diesels are very good, and the Chevy Duramax are also very good.

You can buy a very nice Ram 2500 diesel for $50-55,000 new, plus tax. I did, but drove 250 miles to pick it up. I saved about $8k over the Costco discount price.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post