SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Defining Moments - Can you identify one in your life?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defining Moments - Can you identify one in your life? Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Maybe two moments. The eve of HS graduation, rather than party, I put my name on the waiting list for the Army Reserves. And 44 yrs ago last week when she said yes.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Yes, December 22, 2014

I'm in an operating room and sitting at my wife's head, holding her hand as the doctor is doing an emergency C-section on her as our two-weeks late son had gotten stuck after nearly 40 hours of brutal labor.

All of a sudden I hear (there is a curtain up across my wife's chest) "DAD, STAND UP!" and there's this little cry and the doctor is holding this amazing little slippery pink creature, my SON! Cool

I will remember that day always like it happened yesterday.

Dang misty, foggy monitor..........

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
There's a couple, but for me the one that stands out the most was going to work for a large tech firm as a paralegal. In paralegal school, we will told to never express interest in becoming a lawyer because they'll think you have one foot out the door.

I was there about 6 weeks when my manager asked me if I was thinking about law school. I said "No'.

A couple of weeks later she asks again and I gave her the same answer.

A couple of weeks later she asks again and I said "No" again. This time she says "Well, think about it. If you go, I will have the company pay your tuition."

That was a pretty big turning point for me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
2nd grade. Page Military Academy. Hated it.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The moment I finally allowed myself to see what alcohol was doing to my life.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
The day I realized after dating that wonderfully beautiful girl for two weeks, that I was in Love and I knew She was "THE" one. I was 18 She was 16. When I told Her of my surety we would be married after the short time we had dated She freaked !! We married 3 yrs later and this past Aug 4th we celebrated 45 yrs towards forever together. Some things you just know. Also I know this sounds even more weird but I knew beyond a doubt each time I impregnated Her with our two children 3 yrs apart. Immediately after the union. (and yes we made love more than twice in 3 years) I never had that knowledge before or after. It was as if I felt a part of myself joining within Her. Again I told her and again She said sure you know!! As I said, sometimes you just know. God gives us what we need when we need it.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Defining moment? "Whadduya mean 'Blue test strip'"!!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

That’s a good one.

My major defining moments all happened within the past 10 years so it’s hard to look back on them to see the bigger picture just yet.

But they include:

- graduating college
- getting married
- finding a career out of college by complete happenstance that has boosted me to a level I never dreamed I would achieve so quickly (8 years).
- the birth of my two children

All major moments in ones life. And for me, have dramatically helped shape my life for the better.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
MSGT Don Bogut, recruiter for the Montana Guard, sat me down one day.

I knew that I had to do something with my life but had no idea whatsoever what that something was. About the only thing I could come up with is that I needed to get back to college but I couldn't afford it. And, when I figured that out, I still hadn't a clue as to what to major in.

After looking at all options, I figured a hitch in the Guard would be a good way to go as they offered tuition assistance and student loan repayments. So, I went down to sign up and was planning on becoming a cav scout. MSGT Bogut sat me down that day and said, "don't do that." He convinced me to instead, because I had no intention of making the military a career, choose an MOS that could get me a job/career when I got out. I changed from scout to medic that day and the rest is history.

I often think about Don (I heard he passed away a few years ago) and wonder where I would be today without his guidance. My best guess is nowhere near where I am.

I was one of the few people I've ever met who didn't want to murder his recruiter. Big Grin. In fact, I owe him everything.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was in collage after release from the army in '70' and I had to quit and get a job so I could continue with it. I took a grunt job at a folding carton company. They put me in the printing dept. and I fell in love with the job. Long story short, I also fell in love with a girl in the finishing dept. and married her. 41 yrs after starting there I retired at 63 from a large office in admin. to a very comfortable life. That job provided everything I could have wanted or expected and a loving wife of 37 years to boot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I was a fat friendless kid from Fresno with no self confidence and no respect from anyone at home. I was the kid everyone told what to do. It took me 15 minutes to jog/walk a mile. I had no muscle and weighed 225lbs.

My family thought I was making a big mistake enlisting in the Marines. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thought I'd be back in 2 weeks. I asked every family member if they though I could make it and not to be afraid of telling me the answer. They all said no. After graduating from Marine Corps basic training, nobody ever preached to me or tried to give me advice ever again.

Most of my friends and family never left Fresno. I've been all over this great country and to roughly 17 different countries. I've never been dependent on anyone else to survive since December 27th, 1991.

It took me 40 extra days to finish basic training but I never quit. I lost 65 pounds and was able to run 3 miles in 22 minutes when I finally walked off the parade deck. I broke the family cycle of being a car mechanic and fixed/crewed helicopters instead. That was my doorway into the semiconductor industry after serving for 9 years.

I have other events, but that was the first and most profound, I'd say.

Tony.

Much respect to you!

No shit! That's determination!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, a chance conversation in a parking deck in Atlanta in 1994. That's all I'll say.

Great. Now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Indeed. Been there myself.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I was a fat friendless kid from Fresno with no self confidence and no respect from anyone at home. I was the kid everyone told what to do. It took me 15 minutes to jog/walk a mile. I had no muscle and weighed 225lbs.

My family thought I was making a big mistake enlisting in the Marines.
Tony.

I don't have any memories with regards to the OP's request. But it may surprised you to know as it did me, that my nephew signed up this year for Army. Before they shipped to bootcamp, he was meeting with a group of other enlistees and the recruiter and they were doing physical training for several months like running and stuff. They apparently are doing that now to make boot camp more successful. I thought that was a good idea and something that didn't happen when I joined.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
After reading your posts it seems most of us have someone who lead us to our defining moment.
Seems like a great time of year to remember those we are thankful for. Smile

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I don't have any memories with regards to the OP's request. But it may surprised you to know as it did me, that my nephew signed up this year for Army. Before they shipped to bootcamp, he was meeting with a group of other enlistees and the recruiter and they were doing physical training for several months like running and stuff. They apparently are doing that now to make boot camp more successful. I thought that was a good idea and something that didn't happen when I joined.

Yep, the Marine Corps did that with my Grandson. He didn't really need the physical conditioning so much as the concept of adhering to a schedule and not having the option of being late or farting it off.

Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I was very young, talking with my grandfather and I think I had told a fib. I can still hear his words, "You can lie and steal and may very well get away with it, but you can't hide from God, you will know and God knows." I know the conversation went on but that is all I remember and those over 70 years later those words stick.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably when I hit 18. I got mixed up with a Byzantine group.

Then...a couple more moments. Three more? Four.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day I adopted my daughter and the day my son was born. It made me grow up real fast.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accepting the grace and forgiveness of God thru Jesus Christ. There have been other momentous occasions in my life, but that one is THE one for me.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post