SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about “med hold” in USAF Basic Training
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about “med hold” in USAF Basic Training Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Hayesgreener, sigmonkey;...Hell, y’all may know before the his mother does. Wink

Now that's military.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone in the military freaks out about HIPAA so I doubt anyone will be able to find out anything more than what he is telling you.

More than likely he'll just be recycled into the next flight after he's cleared. It is a roll of the dice as to how long that will take.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Hayesgreener, sigmonkey;

I got a text and a short phone call when he was transferred, I just never got any definitive info. Lots of words like “possible” “may impact” etc. I figured I would hear something after his MRI follow up on the 4th, but who knows what kind of snafu could’ve happened along those lines.....
Like I said before, while I would hate to show up down there and NOT have him graduate, it would be even worse if I DIDNT show up and he does graduate.
I’ll get it figured out. Hell, y’all may know before the his mother does. Wink

Enjoy your trip to San Antonio, whenever that might be.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
The base should have a public affairs officer whose staff will be able to get you the info you need.

37 TRW Public Affairs Office
210-671-3136

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Ok. I’ve tried all the numbers provided to me. I either end up in auto-attendant Hell, or directed to a voicemail that is full or not set up. Even if I did get hold of a human, I’m gonna say between OpSec & HIPPA, any info would be hard won.
According to what I have gleaned from the FB group (ugh, I detest social media) I have decided to just stay out this weekend and wait for the boy to call me.
I thank you all for your help.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I'll relay a little story for you.

I had talked to my Mom once or twice in the run up to the Gulf War. When the hostilities started it had been a few weeks since I had talked to her and being a Mom, went into full panic mode when she couldn't get a hold of me. She called my room phone and I didn't answer because I was on leave traveling to EdwardsAFB helping my buddy who was PCSing.

My Mom called the base. The base gave her the number to my squadron. She didn't relent until she talked to my C/O who had no idea who I was let alone where I was. He called the First Sergeant who, called my shop chief, who called me in my hotel room at Lowry AFB and ordered me to call my Mom. Called me at like 6am when I had been asleep for about 2 hours.

The military will get you help if you need it. They understand that seeing your boy graduate basic is important to you (as it is to them) and will understand your predicament. They will try to get you answers or have your son contact you (especially if he's on a med-hold).

Be persistent in getting a hold of a person. There are phone directories, or at least there used to be, and all desk phones, for the most part, are listed.

SigMonkey had it right. Call the squadron and ask to speak to someone. I'd say ask for the First Sergeant.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Being it's the Air Force, they have a procedure and manual for EVERYTHING.

Surprised this isn't the case.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I’m done.
I’m not concerned for his health or well being. I just wanted to know if I needed to make a run to San Antone this weekend. Merely a scheduling thing on my part.
I’ve never been a helicopter parent and I’m not about to start now.
If he does have a fracture, the downtime on that is going to knock him out of graduating this weekend. I’ll just sit tight and wait for a call from the boy.
Again, I appreciate all y’all’s help.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Please let us know when you do hear from him.
I wish him and you all the best.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6328 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Please let us know when you do hear from him.
I wish him and you all the best.

I will keep y’all posted.
Again, thanks for all the help.