SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Copper Pans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper Pans? Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
Hello cooking gurus - what's the consensus on the best copper pans available these days?

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1238 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I've tried them, and find that for the vast majority of cooking I prefer cast iron skillets and stainless or aluminum pots. Delicate sauces are the one possible exception.

The main problem for me is that the copper cookware is simply too fragile.

I would suggest buying a few used ones on Ebay first to see how you like them. Otherwise, you risk having scads of expensive copper stored away in a back cabinet gathering dust. Don't ask.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
But...

If you are determined...

Look for cast iron handles and tin lining.

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like cast iron, no acidic sauces or foods. For that stick with enameled cast iron.

Coppers only real benefit is spreading the hear quicker and more evenly than stainless steel or iron.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Are you talking Cu clad in the outer surface?

In any case, I’ve not found a benefit of Cu based cookware vs SS with Al (ie. All Clad SS/Al vs SS/Cu), especially to justify the price delta.

But if Cu is desired, I’d buy All Clad.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

The main problem for me is that the copper cookware is simply too fragile.

But on those commercials they show them taking all kinds of abuse. Confused

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
The main problem for me is that the copper cookware is simply too fragile [/QUOTE]

A copper bottom pan can mark an electric smooth top range. Its really not recommended, same with cheap aluminum pans. They transfer heat evenly and work well when it's layer in in the pan not on the bottom surface.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Those "copper" pans they advertise on TV are an entire different class from true copper cookware.

I have a couple solid copper pieces, they're strictly for working with sugar/candy or egg whites.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Most people who own copper pans, are pretentious and don't know how to cook. Maybe that's just the ones Ive met, maybe not. The important thing is if you do go with copper pans you must buy a rack to display it on, this is paramount!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
But...

If you are determined...

Look for cast iron handles and tin lining.

I have this Ruffoni risotto pan - got it in Italy but i think they're available in the US. Makes great risotto, but it requires some effort to keep it nice.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those new "copper" non-stick pans? Junk. Read the reviews online from buyers.

Real, solid copper pans? Just don't, because of copper poisoning. Here's an article about the Moscow Mule and why you should not use unlined copper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.ee18d5dd5395

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Those new "copper" non-stick pans? Junk. Read the reviews online from buyers.

Real, solid copper pans? Just don't, because of copper poisoning. Here's an article about the Moscow Mule and why you should not use unlined copper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.ee18d5dd5395

Again, as i said above. No acidic foods in cast iron or copper.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife bought one of those large Copper Chef pans a few months back and I'll tell you what, that thing gets used a lot. Clean up takes just seconds and it heats very evenly. We have a smooth top range and it causes no problems with it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I bought the Copper Chef pan as well. I use it to make chili on my induction cooktop when I'm at work. So far it works as advertised. Of course it's not real copper.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
The wife bought one of those large Copper Chef pans a few months back and I'll tell you what, that thing gets used a lot. Clean up takes just seconds and it heats very evenly. We have a smooth top range and it causes no problems with it.

I picked up one at WalMart several months ago and it is my favorite pan. I may look at getting some of their other products.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Again, as i said above. No acidic foods in cast iron or copper.

Well...

In order to be acid safe, most copper pans come lined with tin, stainless steel or rarely nickel. Tin is best for non-stick but can by damaged by excess heat and require re-tinning. Stainless is more durable nut is certainly not non-stick and can not be restored when worn through. Nickel, I don't know much about.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
we have a really expensive set of copper pots and pans. NEVER AGAIN. a pain in the ass to wash, a pain in the ass to maintain so they look good, I rarely even use them I hate them so much

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
If you really want to spend silly money on the best...

https://www.mauvielusa.com/

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post