SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Canyon - North or South Rim in Late May?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Canyon - North or South Rim in Late May? Login/Join 
posted
Coming east from New Mexico late May. For those who've been to both, North or South Rim? Assume I have a choice between the two and assume the North Rim is open by the time I'd be in Arizona.

For a variety of reasons, I'm partial to the North Rim but concerned about Hotel rooms as that route looks rural and a long drive into the North Rim and back compared to heading back to Flag after a day at the South Rim.

After the GC, I'll drive back to Washington State through Utah -> Idaho...

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
North Rim is prettier and less crowded. It is a pain to get to. IIRC, you can either stay in a cabin in the park or at the lodge at Jacob Lake. Anything else is very far. Been a while since I was there, but I think it's about a 25 mile drive from the park entrance or Jacob Lake (I forget which) until you get to the scenic views. You can catch a buzz on just a few beers at that elevation.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to go to the North Rim, but the last 3 times I was in the area, it was closed (twice by snow, once by fire). If it's open, that's where I'd go.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I've been to both conducting RF coverage tests for the National Park Service. The south rim has the most convenient views.

The north rim you will need a 4x4 if you plan to explore anything other than the restaurant that is right on the edge of the canyon.

IMHO, the south rim has the best views.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The North Rim is more like Yellowstone in terms of plant and animal life. Late May may be cold, as I’ve been there twice in August and had it been both in the 90s and in the 50s. I think it is prettier, less crowded and has just as spectacular views as the South Rim. Indeed, they are the same views, just from the other side.

I would agree about the lodging, and disagree about needing a 4x4, unless there is still snow on the ground.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both have the limited park lodging that generally requires an advanced reservation. Assuming the North rim is open it gets my vote and I've been to both. Closest non park lodging to the North rim is in Kanab Utah which i remember being an hour and a half north. The bonus is you are then near Zion and a ton of other incredible scenery that could easily be incorporated into the remaining portion of your trip. From the South rim your choices are much more limited.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been to both N & S rim several times, granted decades past. The N side had more weather issues & 'wilder' seeming surround. Vantage viewpoints were far more limited, with "the hotel/restaurants near the singular view area" at that time seeming to be the goal, rather than actual canyon views. Perhaps that's changed.

The S side was more readily available to more view areas accessible by pavement. Both were heavily dosed with other tourists and scheduling was very tight for room/camping spots.

At high elevation, May seems earlier on the N than S side.

For first visit I'd pick S side. Enjoy.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
The North Rim is my choice, I've been to both. Probably impossible to get lodging in the park, Jacob Lake would be OK. If you do stay at Jacob Lake be careful driving at night, there are all kind of critters on the road. If you choose the NR, be sure to get cookies at Jacob Lake!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post