New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Iditarod Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Veteran musher, Aily Zirkle out of the race, after suffering injuries and being airlifted to Anchorage. She was later released. and her dogs to be transported home.

Bittersweet for Aily. as I understand, this was her last race before retiring, and retiring her kennel.

Best wishes going out to her and fans.
One of my favorite mushers.

https://iditarod.com/veteran-i...es-from-iditarod-49/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
that is sad.. Was hoping she would have a good race to finish on. That race is just so unforgiving.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I imagine the word disappointing does not even begin to describe it for her. Hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.

Really missing he Iditarod this year. With the ceremonial start in Anchorage being cancelled and a no spectators policy at the official start and finish, it just doesn't seem like it's happening. The Iditarod means a lot up here, it's the big party that signals winter is finally coming to an end.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Aily Zirkle was always chasing the golden ring. Never winning the Iditarod, but often coming in 2nd , and many times in the top ten. To me she always exemplified the Alaskan musher, fans loved her.

I don't follow the race as closely as in the past, hated seeing Jim Lanier retire. There are a lot of rookies this year, so perhaps in the future some gal will step into Aily's tracks.

The protocol for this year's race is sure different.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulling for Travis Beals, he's the nephew of my friend's friend. Always enjoyable to root for somebody who, knows somebody in the Great Race.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I got to meet several mushers during my time in Anchorage.

I met Aliy at least twice (i.e. I have 2 pics of us together) and she was very personable. I've been a fan of her ever since. Always hoped she would win one.

I also got to meet Dallas Seavey several times and he is the musher I got to spend the most time with one on one. I was at an event the week before Iditarod and Dallas was the event speaker that night. Since it was a school/work night, everybody bugged out of the event pretty early and I wound up chatting with him uninterrupted for 15 or 20 minutes. I'd love to see him win his 5th.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see Jesse Holmes win.

Posts: 530 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lost track of it, but just found out that Dallas Seavey won his 5th Iditarod on the 15th. 30 mushers have finished, 4 are on the trail, and 2 are still on the last checkpoint.

Other mushers mentioned in this thread:
  • Holmes finished 15th
  • Beales finished 25th

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Waiting for Hachiko
    Picture of Sunset_Va
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I lost track of it, but just found out that Dallas Seavey won his 5th Iditarod on the 15th. 30 mushers have finished, 4 are on the trail, and 2 are still on the last checkpoint.

Other mushers mentioned in this thread:
  • Holmes finished 15th
  • Beales finished 25th

• Thank you for the update. I usually follow the race, but have not this year.

美しい犬

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    The last of the mushers finished over night so it's officially over.

This marks the end of a very weird Iditarod:
  • No ceremonial start in Anchorage
  • Real start moved to a boat dock called Deshka Landing nearly 7 miles from the highway (normal start is near highway) to cut down on fans
  • No checkpoints in towns where mushers normally get to warm up and hot food/drink
  • Route didn't end in Nome. Instead it went from Deshka Landing to the ghost town Iditarod and back to Deshka Landing. This meant navigating the treacherous Alaska Mountain Range twice.

•