SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My friend is gone.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friend is gone. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Just learned of the passing of my friend Bob.
He was my first american friend. We met sometime in Buenos Aires, 32 years ago.
Bob was a flight engineer with PanAm that showed up at a computer store where I had my first job and I chased him away stating that the prices were ridiculously high and I would not take his money.
We started talking computing and sharing ideas and became friends in no time.
For a few years he flew back and forth to BA and brought me stuff not avaulable or unaffordable in Argentina and when I flew to the US my visits would always end at his home on Key Largo, FL. We never lost touch, come rain or high water.

My friend was quite sick and well past due, he told me on one of our last conversations. He was incredibly calm about it and kept his chin up. He was 71 years, only 10 years older than me.

His son passed a week after

Got no more words, only got tears now.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12134 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Sorry bud. Frown

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Posts: 26930 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for you loss, it's always hard to loose someone that close.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm truly sorry for you Nicky. Condolences to his family as well.

He sounded like one of those rare true friends we're privileged to know during our lifetime.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My seep condonlences on the loss of your friend (and his son). I pray God will give you comfort, and his family.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry Nicky. He sounds like a great guy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12791 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry, my friend, I wish I had the words to ease your sorrow.

Posts: 12184 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The fact you referenced a computer store and Pan Am/flight engineer really shows the length of time your friendship endured.

Sorry you lost a friend.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deeply sorry for your double loss. Not only your friend but his son as well. Hang in there; remember the good times and that they are now in a better place, one that doesn't have to worry about pandemics and various other human stupidities.

-MG

Posts: 2002 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry O-O. One thing I know for sure. Is a true friend is tough to find.
A true friend is like your most comfortable shoe. It is a joy. It is comfortable. It never lets you down. It is always there for you. It cannot be replaced. It takes no effort. It just feels great.

Again, I am sorry and may peace come over you when the grieve rescinds some.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss. Keep remembering the good times.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences Nick - remember the good and great times

Posts: 53209 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your friend and his son my condolences to you, your family and his..

Posts: 23515 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
May his memory be a blessing

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Our thoughts and prayers go to both of your families. ...................drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I think maybe you'd once talked of Bob? Somehow seems familiar. I have some friends like that. Seeming out of nowhere and yet they last for ages.
Sad when they depart.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post