SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those of you with aging fathers.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those of you with aging fathers. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My dad is 92 and lives 2hrs. away. I go and hang with him usually 2 weekends a month.
He watches sports and old Westerns. I talk to him about when he was a kid and his dad and grandpa.
Didn't know his grandpa had got hit with a minnie ball in the elbow during the Civil War and was a blacksmith with a stuck elbow!
The stories about him being a young man up in Montana are just frikkin' cool!

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I lost my dad 5 years ago and my stepdad last year; sadly I did not have the relationship with them that I wish I had, but I do miss them.

Now at age 53 I find myself in the role of ‘aging father’ and I don’t really know how I feel about this. My relationship with my 20 year old sons (twins) is strong, and I hope I’ve done right by them. I think I did.

I guess I’ll find out eventually.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad turned 97 today. Called him early as did my HS twins without me even suggesting it. Got to school, called him back and had my 8th grade home room wish him a happy birthday. He just laughed and laughed. My students have never met him, but today they celebrated him as if he was their own.

I’ve lost my patience with him a few times since my mom passed in 2019. Dad still wonders if her stroke was his fault. These past few years I’ve come to realize all of the sacrifices he and mom made for us…I thank him regularly, but he just reminds me that part of being a parent.

He’s still sharp as a tack, in a wheelchair, but I also know he misses my mom and he’s just getting tired. He lost his sister last week and realized he’s the only one left from his family. That saddened him.

But today, I heard him laugh…laugh out loud to kids he’s never met…and I’ll take that any day of the week.

Posts: 714 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Mine is 92 today. Birthday 1-31-31. I'll be working likely too late to get away. Unavoidable. But I'll get him over for dinner this weekend and my wife will make him lemon meringue pie.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dsalnorcal
In Y.T.
Or Tik Tok

He's documenting his dad's Alzheimer's progression

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My dad and I were never close, he had a hard life, spent the war years in a German labor Farm during ww2. He never showed affection but he worked his a$$ off to put food on the table. I learned the same work ethic as him and have alot of his character. Respect him greatly.Yesterday was his 99th birthday spent in a memory care unit with dementia. Trying to make the best of it but seeing him this way I hope tge lord will have a place for him

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine never lived long enough to lose who he was.

Instead, I was 26 years old watching him in agony as the cancer ravaged him.

I got to continue through my young live with zero direction.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a timely topic. Dad had an injury last month at his home, and I found him disoriented. Helped him and stayed with him overnight, then called the doctor's office. Especially due to his age (104), they had me take him to the ER. They ran all types of tests on him. No head injury, no chest issues. Finally found that he was positive for COVID. Set him up with the pills to fight it, and I took him home.

I've been staying at his place overnight since then. I go home to check on my animals at some point during the day. I have a friend who stays at my place when in town, so he keeps my animals company while there.

I'm going to have to accelerate my plans to clean up and sell my house and move in with Dad. My house is about six miles from his. I'm not sure he will get back to before the injury mentally or have better memory for things. I'm lucky that he decided to stop driving on his own just over 3 years ago.

I, too, have to remember to stay calm and remember that the current situation is NOT his fault. Our parents care for us growing up, and we help to take care of them as they age. I'm not sure who or what will help care for me when that time comes.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post