SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon? Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
No

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The North-South Skirmish Association has cannon matches at its Winchester site. I use to go to some of the events back in the late 60's. There would be lots of smoke that you couldn't see the target at times. The cannon balls would usually be made of concrete. Back then, they had problems with the cannon balls skipping over into a field where a farmer had cattle. Big Grin

http://www.n-ssa.org/teamartillery

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Is there a cannon rental agency? I don't have a good place to store them. Frown

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Follow up - if you have a cannon, do you have grapeshot in your ready service ammo stockpile?

A whiff of the grape is said to ward off all sorts of miscreants.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Going on the Christmas list. Thanks for the suggestion.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
I always thought this was an interesting video. Sights and sounds of civil war era cannon being fired..... from the perspective of the target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Follow up - if you have a cannon, do you have grapeshot in your ready service ammo stockpile?

A whiff of the grape is said to ward off all sorts of miscreants.

I have several pounds of Holy Black, and some fuse,

as well as a lot of gravel in the driveway at the shop,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
If only he would ask about catapults, catapults big enough to sling a rotting, diseased horse carcass 600 yards.

Make ready my Trebuchet! Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
"You will buy a cannon".... Smile

When I was in my teens back in the late 1970's There was a wash area between Angeles national forest and Palmdale in California where on Saturdays we'd shoot our 22's and shotguns. Occaisionally these Old timers would pull up in this old chevy truck and place a black powder morter on the ground that would shoot small coffee cans full of cement it was always fun to watch... NOw I'm the old timer guess I need a morter... LOL

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Shortly after my grandson was born I was headed over to my daughters house when I seen this sitting on the corner of a busy intersection in town. Of course I stopped and looked at it and called the number. It was the local VFW selling it and wanted $2000 but the guy said make an offer. I was going to buy it for my new grandson. I took a pic and showed it to my daughter and son in law and said I was going to buy it and give it to my grandson. He would be the only kid when he goes to school that can say he has his own cannon.

I got a strong enough rebuke from both of them that I knew I better not show up with it in tow. Frown But boy I was close to buying that thing!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
There are a couple for sale, and as I understand it, not subject to NFA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmRrEm93DY

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post