SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retractable patio awning.. Anyone have one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retractable patio awning.. Anyone have one Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Looking at one of those Sunsetter type retractable awnings for the patio. Not necessarily that brand. Anyone have one? Good? Avoid?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I installed a Sunsetter three years ago and have been very happy with it. Installation was easy with help lifting it (20'wide). We don't leave it open when we're not using it, wind would probably have it's way with it.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're on a couple of yachts I manage. They work well, look clean when closed up, as easy as pushing a button.

That being said, if about 25 mph is blowing towards them, it will bend the arms right over. We get around that on yachts by having a 1" S/S pole that connects to each end and connects to the boat. Also the canvas can grow mildew all over it, if it's kept closed to too long.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've got a round 13' model that unfolds on a center pedestal to cover most of one end of the patio. It's now 10 seasons in regular use save the coldest wettest 4 months.

Just did a minor spray lube on the mechanism last fall, first time; now works like new. Canvas umbrella part hold up very well. Not a Sunset mfg.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We have a Sunsetter we got a deal on through Costco. Love it, back of our house faces west with no trees and sun would just cook it in the afternoons. Awning easily keeps indoor temp down at least 5-10 degrees on those days. It is powered and opens/closes via remote. Has sensor that will automatically close it if wind picks up and starts bouncing it around.

Poly material of some sort doesn’t saturate with water and no worries about mildew like canvas.

Powered model is the way to go, we had a manual one years ago on a previous house and it could be a pain to deal with, especially if unexpected wind came up.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We had one in Colorado Springs. It developed the habit of somehow unrolling itself in windy conditions when nobody was home, and got torn off the house by the wind.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Parents had a Sunsetter 14' I think and it was fine.
Just know the tarps can wear out eventually and need replacing.
It depends on what and how much it is getting hit from above ~ sun, wind, rain, snow etc.
Still a nice product, considering one myself.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
They are basically the same thing as the awnings on Recreational Vehicles. Sunsetter has many options to upgrade when purchasing. I would add one to our house if the layout would work.

They hold up well, and can be secured when closed to prevent wind opening them. Most RV folks learn what o bu to do this. Camping World actually sells awning accessories (in store and online). They stuff you didn't know you needed, they have Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Haven't looked at the Sunsetter brand, specifically, but we've looked into the idea of installing some retractable awning. Problem is our patio is on the southern exposure. Retractable awnings simply don't roll out far enough to shade even half the patio, much less all of it. So we dropped the idea.

One of our next door neighbors installed one. (Don't know the brand.) I asked him how he liked it. He said he never uses it because it doesn't roll out far enough to do much good.

We're instead going to install a pergola over the entire patio, with manually-operated, collapsible (and removable) awning sections between each cross-rafter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I'm in the commercial window shade business. Our business concentrates on interior, so this is a little outside my expertise.

However, most exterior motorized shade/awning systems have a wind sensor option; perhaps it'd be a wise upgrade...

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have two (remote controlled awnings). They were on the house when we bought it, but last year, we had them reworked with new material and wind sensors, etc.

Contact me directly and I can try to share pricing, video of operation, etc. if you'd like.

What do we think? Really like them.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post