SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hunter in Chautauqua County, New York bags a pickup
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter in Chautauqua County, New York bags a pickup Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Pickup truck shot by hunter who thought it was a deer in western N.Y.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Updated: Saturday, November 25, 2017, 7:48 PM

NORTH HARMONY, N.Y. — Authorities say an Ohio man shot a pickup truck he mistook for a deer in western New York.

The shooting Friday was the second hunting accident in Chautauqua County in three days. Police say 43-year-old Rosemary Billquist was shot and killed Wednesday by a man who thought she was a deer.

The Post-Journal of Jamestown reports that Friday's incident happened around 11:30 a.m. in North Harmony.

Sheriff's deputies say Marvin Miller of Middlefield, Ohio, fired a high-powered rifle at a pickup truck.

Woman fatally shot by hunter who mistook her for deer

They say Miller told authorities he had mistaken the truck for a deer.

The sheriff's office says the bullet entered the engine compartment and disabled the truck.

Miller was arrested on charges including reckless endangerment.

It's not clear if he has a lawyer who could speak for him.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Might want to extend your PSA to Ohioans... Wink

quote:
Authorities say an Ohio man shot a pickup truck he mistook for a deer

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
And I used to think that the Germans might have overdone their hunter education program/requirement.

Not any more.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In eastern Ohio, deer are usually found in the grill of a pickup.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
FUDs and poachers, what do you expect?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Not any more.

Sometimes governmental interference with our individualism is a good thing, and this was one. Such mandatory requirements were fiercely opposed by many when they were introduced, and it’s still possible to get a hunting license here if one is of a certain age. But since their introduction—in Colorado, anyway—the number of firearms injuries in hunting seasons has plummeted. I seem to recall that when I was a kid, hearing about accidents and fatalities was common during hunting season; now it’s noteworthy because it’s so rare.

But hunters are human beings and as long as there’s hunting, there will be those who don’t do it right. Accidents and negligent acts will occur just as they occur when people drive their cars.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
When some shoots a deer in your front yard on Thanksgiving day at 6:30 am, as that happened to me 3 years ago, you cannot help but dislike hunting season.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm curious...

As I recall it used to be shotgun only (no rifles) in the southern tier. When did they change that?

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt so I'm no real expert here.

You can either see that it's a deer or you can't. If you're too stupid to shoot at something without seeing what it is, you probably shouldn't own firearms.

They weren't shooting at something that they "thought was a deer". They were shooting at something that "moved in the woods".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
They weren't shooting at something that they "thought was a deer". They were shooting at something that "moved in the woods".

Exactly. Which is why you won't catch me in the woods during firearms deer season.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^This, in spades. I like to hike in a 100,000 acre are near me. This is the nicest season in Florida. It is also "general gun" season. I stay out of the woods until after Mid January.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not all of the Southern Zone is shotgun only, much of it is rifle. More so than years past. Where I hunt in NY was changed back to rifle 10-12 years ago.

I read the story in the paper the other day and it said "high power pistol". which if correct would be legal in a shotgun zone. But not legal for a guy from Ohio.

Of course the paper didnt mention anything about him being from Ohio or anything about a truck?

AP has two versions of the story, two different people named as the shooter??

You linked to the liberal fish wrapper Daily News, so none of it may be correct. Wink

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I read the story in the paper the other day and it said "high power pistol". which if correct would be legal in a shotgun zone. But not legal for a guy from Ohio.

Of course the paper didnt mention anything about him being from Ohio or anything about a truck?

AP has two versions of the story, two different people named as the shooter??

You linked to the liberal fish wrapper Daily News, so none of it may be correct. Wink
It is a little confusing, until you realize that there are two separate incidents, both sort of stirred together in the same article, with no clear distinction between the two. Terrible news writing, not unusual.

One shooting was the 200 yard pistol shot that killed a woman.

The other one was the Ohio man who killed a pickup truck.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm well if it was a John Deere tractor....never mind.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Be thankful those so called hunters aren’t allowed to use mortars. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Not any more.

Sometimes governmental interference with our individualism is a good thing, and this was one. Such mandatory requirements were fiercely opposed by many when they were introduced, and it’s still possible to get a hunting license here if one is of a certain age. But since their introduction—in Colorado, anyway—the number of firearms injuries in hunting seasons has plummeted. I seem to recall that when I was a kid, hearing about accidents and fatalities was common during hunting season; now it’s noteworthy because it’s so rare.

But hunters are human beings and as long as there’s hunting, there will be those who don’t do it right. Accidents and negligent acts will occur just as they occur when people drive their cars.

All the years I hunted in Germany I know of only one case where a "mistake" was made by a hunter.

A PHD in zoology was hunting for Red Deer (what we call an elk) and shot either 4 as they came dingle file out of the trees.

Only problem was they were dairy cows. I am sure the farmer was paid for the cows as hunters also have to buy what amounts to liability insurance. The professor, however, probably never lived down the gossip and commentary.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'm curious...

As I recall it used to be shotgun only (no rifles) in the southern tier. When did they change that?

If you are talking about Virginia, it depends on the county. Some up in the northern state are shotgun only. As I recall, most of the state is rifle or shotgun.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I grew up in rural NW Connecticut a few decades ago.
The first day of hunting season, all responsible parents and pet owners kept their children and pets inside or confined close to home.
By around noon, the city slickers that were all duded up with the latest stylish hunting gear were three sheets to the wind, hadn't seen a deer, and shot at anything that moved. Usually one or two bagged another faux hunter and charges soon followed.
Sounds like things haven't changed much.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Elkhunter's cow story reminded me of a guy who had cows on his place in then rural Faquier County, VA.

Every hunting season he painted the word "COW" on both sides of each animal in bright colored paint

And he still had one of his cows shot by a steam powered rocket sturgeon who claimed he thought it was a deer.

I think it was in 1984 or 1985. It was about the time I stopped hunting because of the imbeciles who were unsafe.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only problem was they were dairy cows.

You'se guys never heard of slow elk? Frown

And then the joke goes "yep mister, that's a fine elk you've got there. Now if you'll just help me get my saddle off him, we'll all be good."

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post