SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What model Spyderco is on the home page of SigForum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What model Spyderco is on the home page of SigForum? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
next question what are the most popular Spyderco's I need to get a Christmas gift for someone that is a Spyderco fanatic and I don't have a great deal of knowledge about them.
Thanks!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a Delica that's closed to thirty years old. Still made, but no longer made in that configuration, and the blackened blade was a small run.

Posts: 107742 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is this the current version of that Knife on Amazon for $99?

Link

Posts: 23588 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a current generation Delica which has, among other things, a removable/reversible belt clip, whereas my Delica has the clip molded into the grip.

But, yes, pretty close to mine.

Here's a better look at a first generation Delica. It's the same as mine, except for the black coating on the blade.

https://www.bladeforums.com/th...erco-delica.1765356/

Just a reminder that the photo on our home page was taken in 2002.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para, I knew you would come through!

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Funny how long ago some things were done/happened, great looking knife, it appears they changed the length of the serrations from the Gen 1 you have to only half the blade length..

I was watching Cliffhanger with Stalone (for the 40-11th time) last night, and with this thread starting thinking that the knife that Hal takes from the chopper pilot Frank after he's shot is a Gen 1 with silver blade.

Its got the full serrations on the blade and the molded in pocket clip

Here's the obligatory shots from the film...

Posts: 23588 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
That's not quite a police model, but not a delica. That may be an Endura.

My first proper pocket knife was an all metal Delica serrated. It was $6x.xx somewhere in the mid 90's. I carried that knife for YEARS. I dont know what ever happened to it, but I bought a black handle Delica a few years after. Both of which are long gone now, but were my first (knife) loves.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, an Endura

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That may be an Endura.

Googlefu says "Endura" however it also says Stallone used it, Recall it was in the scene with the Pilot Frank and when Hal (Michael Rooker) stuck it in the leg of Delmar.

https://www.bladehq.com/blog/k...otlight-on-spyderco/

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Does this knife have a "big brother"?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Yes, the Endura.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

Yes, the Endura.

Perfect Thank you!

posted Hide Post
I know there are other models but the Delica 4 has been a constant companion for I do not know how many years. Do know I've lost two over the years and replaced them ASAP. Currently have two, both plain edge, one in stainless and on with black scales. Don't carry the stainless very often because it's a bit heavy. Also have two Drangonfly's and they are a nice little knife but after carrying a Delica and a Dragonfly for 2 or 3 years I decided that was just a bit much.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I need to try out a Delica and a Dragonfly. I like the Endura, but for a knife with what amounts to plastic handles, it's a bit big. Heresy, I know, but it's damn near the size of a Military, and for a knife that big, the G10 goes a long way to making a more sturdy feeling knife, and I never carry either of mine. I think the Delica is probably about the right size. I have a counterfeit Dragonfly somewhere that's about as flimsy as flimsy gets, and it seems like an amazing size for a pocket knife. Great designs, all.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are the most popular Spyderco's I need to get a Christmas gift for someone that is a Spyderco fanatic and I don't have a great deal of knowledge about them.

If he (or she) is a Spyderco fanatic, then he probably has the most popular models he wants already. Knife fanatics go for limited edition sprint runs and out-of-production models.

For instance, I bought a Spyderco Q (model C35 SBK) back when it was originally in production. In fact, I bought mine on clearance. It was as much a conversation piece as it was a utility knife. Sadly, it was stolen out of my car, and I still curse its loss. They go for ~$300 these days.

Persistence, Tenacious, & Resilience are a few popular models that won't break the bank, although they're made in China. You won't feel guilty about beating them up.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got to be shitting me. I bought that knife and my wife claimed it. If it truly is a 300+ dollar knife I may go repatriate it. lol That is crazy if true.

I just asked my wife if she knew where it was and she handed it to me. I told her it was worth way more than I paid for it and she was wildly nonplussed and took it back. I guess it shall stay in the family.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I have a counterfeit Dragonfly somewhere that's about as flimsy as flimsy gets, and it seems like an amazing size for a pocket knife. Great designs, all.

Great size for fitting in any pocket. I have a Spiderco Ladybug that goes everywhere with me. I’ve had it since 2013? I’m not exactly certain when I bought it, but it was a long time ago. Sharpens up like a razor every few weeks. It’s cut a lot if stretch wrap and cardboard in its life.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I broke several of those molded spyderco clips bumping into things. I sent one to spyderco in CO and they cleaned the broken part off the scale and mounted a metal clip for me at no charge. That was 20-25 years ago. Had full serrated and half serrated at least one had a black blade.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
The Delica has been my EDC for years. Lost it and replaced with another Delica. Tried carrying other Spyderco’s, but none felt as good in my hands and pocket as the Delica.

I also have two Enduras. An excellent knife, but too big for my pockets.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Great size for fitting in any pocket.

Yeah, I don't know where is right now, but if I remember right, it would be just about the right size for fitting in the coin pocket of a pair of jeans. I may need to go ahead and snag one of those just for general use. More than once I've broken out the Military or Manix 2 XL for a simple cutting task and had someone's eyes bug.