SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Are These Shop Light Shades Called?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are These Shop Light Shades Called? Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Lights like the ones in the photo below used to be everywhere, but I have not seen them for years. They come in different shapes and are usually green. What are these things called and where would one find some. I’m looking for about 12 of them.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I've seen them called barn lights. The best price I've seen on them is from a Chinese co. called Beautiful Halo. I wanted to put them in my garage (there's a style not on a pendant), but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pendant Lamp?

IKEA still sells a number of them:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.../?preferedui=desktop

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Searching for Barn Lights got me close, but all I could find was complete lights. All I need are the shades that will clamp on to existing porcelain fixtures as shown in the photo below. It’s a high ceiling in a hangar and I’d like to direct the lights downward where they are really needed. I wasn’t totally clear in my OP.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Westinghouse shades.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
Do they have to match ?
I just saw vintage ones for sale today.
Pm me and I will get you the info - nice local shop.

-Scott

-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 917 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaSigchist:
Do they have to match ?
I just saw vintage ones for sale today.
Pm me and I will get you the info - nice local shop.

They should match. It would be one of those things that could help the resale value of the building should I ever decide to sell it. I’ve seen the prices on some of the vintage ones, and it’s a bit more than I want to spend. Do you remember about what the prices were?

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I found these on Amazon for $18 each. Not exactly what I was looking for but look like they would work just fine, and they just screw into the light socket like a lightbulb. Super easy installation and getting to the upper end of what I’d like to spend.

---------------
Gary

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wingspar, what were those called? I want a couple.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Wingspar, what were those called? I want a couple.

They do look like they would work just fine. Lots of good reviews. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Designe...warehouse+barn+light

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
Would these be a closer match to what you're looking for?

http://www.antiquelampsupply.c...lamp-parts--lighting

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 184 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Wingspar.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or !
When you buy a french silk pie at village inn ,
you get a free one of these !

simply invert and make a hole.
1. you get a treat
2. you get to be crafty
3. saving money
4. recycling is a good thing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RETTOP:
Would these be a closer match to what you're looking for?

http://www.antiquelampsupply.c...lamp-parts--lighting

There are some good looking shades on that site, but I can’t tell if they would work and for the quantity I want, cost prohibitive. I ordered some of what I posted in the last photo today to see how they work out. I think they will work just fine and I’ll order more when I can afford to.

Thanks for the help to all. I had no clue what these things were called, so I had no idea where to look.

---------------
Gary

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Try googling "industrial pendant lighting" and "warehouse lighting" and look at the pics.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Or !
When you buy a french silk pie at village inn ,
you get a free one of these !

simply invert and make a hole.
1. you get a treat
2. you get to be crafty
3. saving money
4. recycling is a good thing

Cool idea. But after a dozen pies, he may not be able to make it up the ladder!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you replace the incandescent bulb with a LED Flood and you will get much better lighting..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Super fast shipping on these. Super easy install. Her is a quick and dirty before and after shot in the corner of my car port just to see how they work. Wish they were deeper, but they should do the trick. Might take another before and after photo when I get them down to the hangar where they should make a big difference.

---------------
Gary

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Great, SigForum shows me another thing to buy that I had no idea I really needed. At least this one's only $17.99!

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post