SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting IRS letter/Bill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting IRS letter/Bill Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted

I recently received this "bill" from the IRS. Color me confused. Is this some wacky shit computed by an errant algorithm? Anyone else receive such nonsense? Can I expect to be audited next? What a fricken joke/waste.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Send them a check for the full amount. It'll really screw their system. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thirty years from now comes a bill for a thousand bucks, penalties and interest. I just might send them a check. I will guarantee they will cash it, the IRS never turns down money. Ask your CPA

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thirty years from now comes a bill for a thousand bucks, penalties and interest. I just might send them a check. I will guarantee they will cash it, the IRS never turns down money. Ask your CPA

So, ya think 5 cents is enough?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Send them six cents, wait for the penny check. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Yeah, even though the last line states Amount Due $0.00, I think I'd send them a check for five cents. Or maybe six cents, like LS1 GTO recommended. Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just send them a check for the amount due. These folks do not have a sense of humor and easily take offense at that stuff. My CPA told me that many years ago.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
My first year out of college, I figured something "wrong" on my taxes, and the amount owed to me was less than a dollar. I made them send it to me. Smile

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, they said please.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
In a way that is scarier than a $1000 IRS bill.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I got a bill from the IRS, they disallowed some itemized deductions, I now owed them more $$. Or I had to document my deductions.

I documented the deductions, they reduced the bill except for $200, said I needed one more document. I sent that last document, certified mail, return receipt, along with a printed copy of the IRS regulations specifying that for this particular category and amount of deduction, a document is not required.

Two months later they concurred, said they would credit my account. They never did so. I called every year, they promised action, until they finally said "yes we received the document, but the files are archived, and we can't access them" (ie, sorry, you lose).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Tape coins to the bill and send it in. They're hurting for coins. Smile

I once had a poly sci guy tell me the fed .gov should have two jobs. Provide currency and defend the borders. Ours can do neither very well.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t worry about a full compliance audit. The letter is the result of an audit of some type already.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually got a similar letter 7-8 years ago.
It was it was followed up by two more lettered that reiterated that I do not need to make a payment.
They spent way more on sending me these notifications then I owed them.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
In a way that is scarier than a $1000 IRS bill.

LOL Smile

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Put it in a file with the tax form from the appropriate year.
Do not poke the IRS bear with a stick. Nothing good will happen.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's funny how that works. I was involved in a lawsuit regarding a family business and we had forensic accountants with a CPA firm going over records. During that process we discovered that a family member had moved some assets around to defraud the government out of taxes. It totaled over $1,000,000.

We turned him in, complete with supporting documents, and they didn't do a thing.

If you owe them a few dollars, they'll spend $10,000 worth of time and effort coming after it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

It's funny how that works. I was involved in a lawsuit regarding a family business and we had forensic accountants with a CPA firm going over records. During that process we discovered that a family member had moved some assets around to defraud the government out of taxes. It totaled over $1,000,000.

We turned him in, complete with supporting documents, and they didn't do a thing.

If you owe them a few dollars, they'll spend $10,000 worth of time and effort coming after it.

I wonder what was the thinking of the IRS on the case you mention?

Not a tax issue, I left my first job after college, they were not kosher with charges on gov't contracts. I was later asked to testify against them. Turns out it never got to court. I found out later from a gov't fraud expert it was a cost/benefit analysis. How much will it cost to pursue this matter through the courts, how much will we likely get back? (Prob nothing as the firm was close to bankrupt). vs, what other cases can we pursue which will bring bigger $$ for the same effort? But the word got out re the firms ethics, they collapsed.

But this doesn't really explain IRS conduct.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
^^^ Who is the IRS likely to get money from with minimal effort (ie, layout of funding and resources); the person with millions of dollars to fight the case or, you and I with barely enough to payback whatever the IRS claims you owe?

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I got a check for three bucks this year.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post