SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long weekend family vacation ideas in NW Arkansas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long weekend family vacation ideas in NW Arkansas? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Have a four day weekend coming up and looking for ideas for a family of 5 with three kiddos under 10. Love the idea of a resort style hotel that could entertain and provide some activities on the property. Anyone had good luck with properties in the area?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any resort style hotels in NWA, but if you're willing to go a bit further, there's Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO. (About 1.5 hours from NWA.)

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm not aware of any resort style hotels in NWA, but if you're willing to go a bit further, there's Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO. (About 1.5 hours from NWA.)

Thanks. We lived in Springfield (actually Nixa) for four years and did Big Cedar Lodge while there. We didn’t venture to NW AR so thought we’d look there this time around. I’ll have to reconvene with the wife.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
The Art Gallery, Crystal BridgesA IIRC, built by the Waltons is a worthwhile visit, In Turpentine Creek is the Tiger Refuge and is a good visit for kids, NWA is a neat place to visit for mild off road driving with lots of gravel roads and trails.

Good luck and have a great time!

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We went to the ‘Pea Ridge’ battlefield in the area years ago. It may be a bit much for younger kids but some history anyway.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Turpentine Creek, Pea Ridge, Eureka Springs, and the area in general.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
We went to the ‘Pea Ridge’ battlefield in the area years ago. It may be a bit much for younger kids but some history anyway.

If you're into Civil War history, there's also another Civil War battlefield in Prairie Grove, about 45 minutes south of Pea Ridge. Both parks are worth a visit, but Pea Ridge is the larger of the two.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since another suggested Eureka Springs, if you do go there, Thorncrown chapel is worth a visit. G

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webley Green:
Since another suggested Eureka Springs, if you do go there, Thorncrown chapel is worth a visit. G
Some years ago I visited Eureka Springs--it is an interesting place. The Hammond Bell Museum is located there and I found it very interesting (bought a tuned wind chime).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
In Rogers, AR tonight. Ate dinner at Crabbies, it was good. Thinking of driving down to Fayetteville tomorrow afternoon. Any recommendations for dinner there? Any other good places in Rogers?

Posts: 1457 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Gastons white river resort.

I’ve always wanted to go here but keep having crap come up preventing it.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are heading to NW Arkansas in two weeks.

It has been a few years we’ve been to the area, since our third graduated college at UofA.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shogun's at the mall a nice view
Herman's Ribhouse
Wright's barbecue

Posts: 9 | Location: NWA | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Thinking of driving down to Fayetteville tomorrow afternoon. Any recommendations for dinner there?

Depends on what you're wanting.

Pesto Cafe - Italian
Wright's Barbeque - BBQ (duh)
Hugo's - Burgers
Catfish Hole - Fried catfish (and surprisingly good steak)
Cafe Rue Orleans - Cajun

Lots of good Thai restaurants too: Salah Thai, Thep Thai, Taste of Thai, etc.

If you don't mind the drive out to Siloam Springs (~45 minutes west of Rogers), one of my favorite restaurants is there: 28 Springs. It's somewhat upscale American/Southern food.

There aren't any great options for seafood in Fayetteville, but there are a couple in Bentonville (a few minutes northwest of Rogers): Flying Fish, and Blu Fish House.

Shogun's is probably the best option for sushi in Fayetteville, but Sushi House in Bentonville is a much better option.

If there's a certain type of food you're wanting that isn't listed above, let me know, and I can post additional recommendations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Next time I get the chance to visit that part of the country I am going to stop by the A.G. Russel knife store!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were up that way a few weeks ago and stumbled across the City of Siloam Springs Kayak Park. It would definitely be good for a half a day with kids. Maybe a full day with picnic stuff. Life jackets and tubes would be all you need. It’s free.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're going to Mt. Magazine in November but I don't know anything helpful yet. Maybe somebody else will.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mount Magazine is beautiful, and well worth visiting. But it's not part of Northwest Arkansas proper. It's about 2.5 hours south of the NWA Metroplex. (Actually closer to Little Rock or Hot Springs than NWA.)

It's considered part of the "River Valley" region of Arkansas, and is located in the Ouachita Mountains of Western/Southern Arkansas, not the Ozark Mountains in Northern Arkansas.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
In Rogers, AR tonight. Ate dinner at Crabbies, it was good. Thinking of driving down to Fayetteville tomorrow afternoon. Any recommendations for dinner there? Any other good places in Rogers?

go to the original Walton 5 & dime and get some ice cream/ several really good places to eat there in the old square...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you go to Mountain View, Arkansas, you might want to visit this place: https://www.jacksresort.com/home. You can fish the White River, and the co-located Jo Jo's Catfish Wharf has great food!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post