SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How To Compress A .MOV File?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Compress A .MOV File? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Hey guys I need a little help. I have a .mov file that is about 40 or so megs and I want to compress it down to about 20 so I can email it. I am on a Mac. Anything native or free I can use?

Thanks.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
You could try Keka: Keka for OS/X

The 7z (7-Zip) compression format may take it down smaller than Zip format.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If .MOV is similar to .JPG the file is already compressed. As a result any increase in "compression" will come at the price of decreased quality in the video. In simple terms a 144 line .MOV will take up much less disk space than a 720 line .MOV.

BTW, been dealing with .JPG image files for many years and can tell you that putting them into a ZIP file doesn't do diddly to reduce the file size. The only effective means of reducing the file size is by increasing the "compression" when saving the file and that reduction in file size ALWAYS means less image quality.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Easiest way to actually reduce the file size? Reduce the image quality.

Easiest (and honestly, probably smartest) way to do what you need? Dropbox or another file hosting site and a link, Youtube and a link (there are ways to ensure only you and the recipient can see it), or another video hosting service.

Don't bother with compression; it won't do anything worthwhile.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Or save yourself the trouble, put it on dropbox and email them the link.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
$ man split

Old school!

Posts: 6764 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, a youtube non-public link if you just need people to be able to watch it. If they need to download/possess it, a file-sharing service is your best bet.

Some free email providers such as gmail and outlook.com/hotmail.com/msn.com offer free file sharing accessible when you log in to their email site. You can updload the file and share the private link.

I'm pretty sure dropbox offers a free account for 5-10GB of storage. Also, there used to be a site called transferbigfiles.com that worked pretty well when you didn't need keep the files available online for a prolonged period.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
$ man split

Old school!

Simple, easy, just divide the file into smaller parts that your ISP will accept as a reasonable file size. It may require several emails. Open a command prompt (Terminal) on your Mac, and type "man split" for instructions on how to accomplish this.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handbrake is a free program that will re-encode the video to a lower quality, creating a smaller filesize. It's will output as .mp4 (or .mkv, but don't use that).

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Or save yourself the trouble, put it on dropbox and email them the link.

Thanks guys. Doing a little research last night I found there was no real good way to compress it. I ended up putting it on google drive and sending a link.

What is dropbox?

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

What is dropbox?

Similar to Google Drive. Cloud-based storage service. One of the better known ones.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post