SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blood pressure drugs more effective if taken before bed, study finds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood pressure drugs more effective if taken before bed, study finds Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I take 50 mg Lopresssor twice a day. Been on this regimen since early 98.

Guess this is an excuse to go back to bed in the morning after taking my meds.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Back when I was doing national heart disease prevention guideline development for a large multi specialty group, I was following the work being done in Spain on this issue. At that time it was interesting, but lacked the definitive evidence of a randomized controlled trial with hard clinical endpoints. This study now adds that; I suspect future guidelines by American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, etc. will incorporate this recommendation.

Thanks for that insight SJ. The forum is fortunate to have some very knowledgeable members.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9474 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1967, when I joined the Army, I was asked what sports I took part in.

I said hockey, skiing and shooting, not necessarily in that order.

Hmmm, they said, your blood pressure is a little high for any of those things - 148/78 - and your heart rate is incredibly slow - 38 - 40 BPM, but your recovery rate is like somebody just pulled your plug. We'll try you out on biathlon, the hockey you can get as much as you like, at home.

So for 18 years I took part in biathlon, until the introduction of the .22 Fortner-action plinky gun took my interest away - it was no longer military to me, and had lost its purpose.

Fast forward to 1998, and a medical in which the doc said, as if he'd never heard of it before, you have raised BP, 148/78. and your pulse rate is low, too, so I'm going to put you on 50mg of Atenolol.

It is now 2019, and I'm on the same pills, and my BP is the same as it was in 1967, so is my heart-rate, and so is my recovery rate.

What has it all been about?

**** knows, I don't.

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Heard back from my cardiologist's nurse yesterday. She said the BP medicine I take (metoprolol) can be taken either morning or evening, doesn't matter. So I will continue taking in the morning rather than changing.
I take 2 metoprolol every day--once just before bed (about 0300 for me) and again in the afternoon.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, thanks very much.

Regarding metoprolol: there are two different forms, metoprolol succinate, which is an extended-release form usually given once a day, and metoprolol tartrate, usually given twice a day. Both work pretty much the same although the succinate form is particularly effective for treatment of heart failure. That's the most likely reason some of you take it once a day and some twice.

tacfoley: That's a head-scratcher. Atenolol, like metoprolol and most (but not all) beta-blockers, slows the heart rate down. If I have had a patient with high blood pressure and slow heart rate, I would have AVOIDED giving a beta blocker like atenolol.
By the way, beta-blockers are no longer the usual drug of choice for high blood pressure alone. ACE inhibitors, thiazide diuretics, and calcium channel blockers, pretty much in that order, are the usual choices.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had a slow heart rate and A-Fib. So I was fitted with a pacemaker. So far, so good.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My brain doc put me on BP meds to increase opening to arteries in my brain, after my stroke...I take that and singulair for the same reason. And she said to take it at night.

I don’t have high BP or asthma but take the meds for their side effect of preventing another stroke.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, a little out of the league of all this discussion, but this might be a small assist for those with high blood pressure -

I read somewhere..... (yeah, this is going to be GOOD!) that a bit of dark chocolate on a daily basis will help reduce high blood pressure.

So taking this on with a test group of one (1) and no control group, I volunteered to continue this research. I have had a bit of dark chocolate on a daily basis (as long as I don’t forget) for several months now. Historically my BP has been a little high - ie 80/140. So, as noted, a few months ago (very scientific data here) I started. About a month ago I went for a semi-annual meeting with my GP. Without any other drugs for my BP, my reading at the doctors office was down. Something like 70/120. For a further reference, I am married (35 years), 62 and 155#.

Your mileage might vary -

I would forward my data to anyone interested in replicating my study, but it is included, in its entirety, above.

Trivia - I know, but it might help someone.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The idea is to remove what is causing the high blood pressure, which is part in parcel metabolic syndrome. A LC diet and intermittent fasting will reverse it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I’m on ACE inhibitors. Lisinopril.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just one of the many meds that are more effective if taken this way. Just ask your MD or pharmacist..

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post