SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Denver man chokes to death on doughnut

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Denver man chokes to death on doughnut Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
From The Coloradoan

Somewhere in here, there's a lesson about gluttony... 'merica.

DENVER — Voodoo Doughnut has suspended its doughnut challenge nationwide after a man choked to death inside their East Colfax location early Sunday morning.

Travis Malouff, 42, died from "asphyxia, due to obstruction of the airway," the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner announced Monday morning.

Julia Edelstein was standing in line at Voodoo Doughnuts and said Malouff was trying to eat a half-pound glazed doughnut around 1:30 a.m. Sunday when he choked.

Edelstein says people tried to help him when they realized he was choking. The coroner's office said Malouff died at the scene.

“Our hearts go out to the Malouff family during this very difficult time," a spokesperson for Voodoo Doughnut said.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Must've been a slow news day...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Heard on the radio about some girl that died eating pancakes in a similar gig.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Heard on the radio about some girl that died eating pancakes in a similar gig.

Ya, 20 year old girl in Connecticut, very unfortunate.

http://6abc.com/news/college-s...ing-contest/1831931/

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when you push the envelope, you break the envelope.

I remember a story of a girl (in CA?) who drank too much water and died of Water Intoxication (Hyponatremia) on a radio contest trying to win a Wii.

A guy in Florida (I think) died after consuming cockroaches, trying to win a python or boa constrictor from a pet store.

People die running races, boxing, skiing, swimming, etc, etc. Life is dangerous. No one gets out alive. Might as well have fun. Within reason and with due safety, of course.

Note: I'm not doing the cockroach thing.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Julia Edelstein was standing in line at Voodoo Doughnuts and said Malouff was trying to eat a half-pound glazed doughnut around 1:30 a.m. Sunday when he choked.

I'm going to take a WAG and say alcohol was involved and didn't help this poor bastard at all.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Never know. The girl in the pancake contest was sober. Kids have died eating peanut butter, not from an allergic reaction, but from a glob of peanut butter in their throat. Hotdogs are well known killers.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
... a half-pound glazed doughnut...

Come on. That has to be a humongous doughnut.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
half-pound glazed doughnut

I figure that sucker was about 18 inches across.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Half a pound of donut? Back when I ate them (like 3 days ago) I found it easy to eat a pound of donuts.

As for the guy who died, my condolences to his family.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy in Florida (I think) died after consuming cockroaches, trying to win a python or boa constrictor from a pet store.
Note: I'm not doing the cockroach thing.

https://usnews.newsvine.com/_n...o-death-autopsy-says

"After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python.
Florida man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest. Earlier in the night, he had also entered a superworm-eating contest.

But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office conducted tests to determine the cause of death, which was revealed more than a month later.

According to the report, the death was deemed an accident as a result of "arthropod body parts" blocking Archbold's airways. The autopsy tested negative for toxic substances.."

This sounds as though the cockroaches may have been climbing out from his stomach, or hung up part way down and were trying to find a way out. I can think of easier ways to die.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post