SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At the Korean War Memorial and want to share
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the Korean War Memorial and want to share Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:

All wool uniform with pull down muff hat, standard issue when it was cold and it was bitterly cold and damp.

Summer it was hot, muggy and stinky.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting OttoSig, great photos.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
The small arms wing was really cool, unfortunately every glass had a glare from something. Figured you guys would enjoy.

The pre-gunpowder weapons were also interesting, I guess more so thinking about doing battle with some of those that look like nothing more than torture devices.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My faves are those of the ROK soldier and child, on the half dome that is fractured....I can guess the story being told.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
My faves are those of the ROK soldier and child, on the half dome that is fractured....I can guess the story being told.

The "Statue of Brothers" is pretty amazing, it's very dark inside so I couldn't get any pictures of the stained glass in the cracks. There is also artwork inside.

We obviously study this country and the Korean war a lot in my profession and newcomers always say the same thing, "So it's like they were fighting their uncles or brothers?" NO, they WERE fighting their uncles and brothers.

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So many great photos of the place, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
So many great photos of the place

Indeed! Thank you for sharing your visit with us.

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
When was this war memorial built and opened to the public?? Thanks for the posting....Served on the DMZ area in 1969-1970 with the 5th/38th FA(105 howitzers) at Munsan-ri. Am sure that Seoul as well as the rest of the country have drastically been built up and changed. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
When was this war memorial built and opened to the public?? Thanks for the posting....Served on the DMZ area in 1969-1970 with the 5th/38th FA(105 howitzers) at Munsan-ri. Am sure that Seoul as well as the rest of the country have drastically been built up and changed. ........................ drill sgt.

June 10 1994 to the public according to google. The memorial itself has not changed a bit since my first visit in 2015. But it does appear they keep evolving the exhibits.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What is that old wooden ship?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
It's a smaller model of the old turtle boats, the ones used by E Sun Shin to defeat the Japanese navy.

Pretty cool story how he used the current and narrow passage to defeat them, similar to battle at Thermopolis. I think I spelled that right.

The admiral is the second most famous person in korean history behind King Sae Jeon, who pretty much invented modern day Korea as they tell it.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
A very nice depiction of that memorial. I've never been to Korea, so I found it very interesting. Thank you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Great pictures and very interesting to see.

Posts: 731 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post

christmas day 1952 chorwon, korea

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
BTW: The pic above is me. CO C battery 39thFA 3d ID

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Wow!...thank you sir!